Why no Auburn Men's Soccer team?

InfernoOrangeSS

I know Title IX has a lot to do with it, but I think only the SEC and BigXII are without Men's Soccer. All the other major conferences field teams. It's not an expensive sport to have, since we already have a women's team, I believe.

I would love to see the SEC get this sport going. Would any of you support a team if we had one that played other SEC schools? (I think UK and USCe both have teams but have to compete in another conference for games.)

Just a thought. I love the game of Fútball and would love to see an Auburn Men's team.

War Eagle!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You already covered it: Title 1X. Give out 10 men's soccer scholarships and you have to give out an additional ten women's scholarships in some sport. Bowling?

We dropped our highly successful wrestling team in order to cut down on the number of men's scholarships so I don't think the administration is looking for more men's sports to support.

I'll pull for any and all AU teams, but I'm not a soccer fan and probably wouldn't go to a game.

I understand the dynamics of Title IX, but just wondered why the SEC and BigXII are the only major conferences without Men's Soccer/Fútball. I guess it was determined that there wouldn't be enough support for the sport. I'd be fine with a women's bowling or whatever team added if it brought Soccer/Fútball to the SEC.

(As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the sport, but I understand I am in a huge minority.)

Seems like womens lacrosse would be obvious to add and be successful. Florida and Vandy already field teams and have to play in the Big East. Heck, Florida is a top 5 team despite starting the program in 2007.

I understand the dynamics of Title IX, but just wondered why the SEC and BigXII are the only major conferences without Men's Soccer/Fútball. I guess it was determined that there wouldn't be enough support for the sport. I'd be fine with a women's bowling or whatever team added if it brought Soccer/Fútball to the SEC.

(As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the sport, but I understand I am in a huge minority.)

I think its only matter of time..there is a ton of soccer talent that needs a pipeline to develop their skills. College would be good place to do that, since going to Europe would be an expensive alternative and not everyone gets a shot. Maybe after this World Cup..

I do miss the wrestling team.

Me too. No matter what happened elsewhere, you could always count on the wrestlers kickin' booty. Unless, of course, Iowa or Oklahoma State or one of those schools that really took it seriously came to town.

One of my fondest memories of any AU athletic event was watching Auburn's Ronnie? Hall beat bammer's undefeated and "unbeatable" John Hannah in BEC. That was a whoop!

I do miss the wrestling team.

Me too. No matter what happened elsewhere, you could always count on the wrestlers kickin' booty. Unless, of course, Iowa or Oklahoma State or one of those schools that really took it seriously came to town.

One of my fondest memories of any AU athletic event was watching Auburn's Ronnie? Hall beat bammer's undefeated and "unbeatable" John Hannah in BEC. That was a whoop!

God that was great Hannah was very good but not good enought.

I would support it. Hell I would of tried to play here if they had a team.

South Carolina actually has a program already. Not sure if any of the SEC schools do.

Its always amazed me that the Big 12 didn't have soccer. Texas was and still is one of the heaviest recruited states for soccer players. SMU use to be a top program prior to Hyndman going to FC Dallas. Believe our women's team even carries 3 girls from a club team that was based out of Plano.

Vandy has had a team for a while. Kentucky is just starting up.

I played on the men's club team for a couple of years at Auburn and we did a fair amount of travel around the southeast playing other SEC schools who didn't have D1 programs. I don't know how much things have changed since then (about 10 years ago) but the level of competition was good enough to be D1 soccer - we just had no financial backing. We did however have "Soccer Sweethearts" so that made up for it a bit...

I still think Title IX is the major reason. Schools just don't want to keep adding sports that no one comes to see...and that drain the athletic department resources.

Add soccer...drop something else with more or less equal scholarships.....that could work if someone could prove that soccer had a better following than say....men's golf and decided to "swap" sports....but that's a politically charged issue since probably our soccer team would pretty quickly be made up of foreign players...so I will take the politically incorrect view against subsidizing educational opportunities for kids from Brazil or Mexico, etc.

Much as I like to see the accomplishments of our swimming team, it does make me uneasy to see that only 4 swimmers are from the state of Alabama...and I would bet they are not getting much scholarship aid.

Vandy has had a team for a while. Kentucky is just starting up.

I played on the men's club team for a couple of years at Auburn and we did a fair amount of travel around the southeast playing other SEC schools who didn't have D1 programs. I don't know how much things have changed since then (about 10 years ago) but the level of competition was good enough to be D1 soccer - we just had no financial backing. We did however have "Soccer Sweethearts" so that made up for it a bit...

I did the club thing myself a bit. The quality was good, course had some ex D1 players that were doing masters or doctorates.

Vandy must of ditched its mens program, it is not listed on their site.

I still think Title IX is the major reason. Schools just don't want to keep adding sports that no one comes to see...and that drain the athletic department resources.

Add soccer...drop something else with more or less equal scholarships.....that could work if someone could prove that soccer had a better following than say....men's golf and decided to "swap" sports....but that's a politically charged issue since probably our soccer team would pretty quickly be made up of foreign players...so I will take the politically incorrect view against subsidizing educational opportunities for kids from Brazil or Mexico, etc.

Much as I like to see the accomplishments of our swimming team, it does make me uneasy to see that only 4 swimmers are from the state of Alabama...and I would bet they are not getting much scholarship aid.

You wouldn't be going to foreign countries for a majority of your players. East Coast is very strong, Atlanta has become a exceptional soccer city, and of course pretty much every school is carrying players from Texas. Majority of D1 male soccer players are from the United States... your best players from other countries are being picked up and placed in their professional club teams development leagues. Our D1 capable players are good enough to play with the average players from other countries.

I think the SEC having Soccer/Fútball might trickle down to the high school level. It's a relatively cheap sport to have.

WHAT!!!!! 64 I use to like you >:(

Sorry Golf...that was just an example....obviously a bad choice :-\ But as for SEC soccer, apparently nobody plays serous soccer in the conference and best I could tell after a quick search, only Kentucky has a team...and they play in another conference.

Golf convinced me...it would be criminal to drop golf and replace it with soccer....so guess we can just enjoy futbol from time to time...and get ready for American Football as the rest of the world calls it.

Sorry Golf...that was just an example....obviously a bad choice :-\ But as for SEC soccer, apparently nobody plays serous soccer in the conference and best I could tell after a quick search, only Kentucky has a team...and they play in another conference.

Golf convinced me...it would be criminal to drop golf and replace it with soccer....so guess we can just enjoy futbol from time to time...and get ready for American Football as the rest of the world calls it.

South Carolina has a team, and has had a team for a long time. They currently play in Conference USA. Seeing as Kentucky is on their schedule I'm guessing that is where UK is going also.

Now we're talking :punk: :punk:

Title IX needs to be re-visited so that we take care of women sports while also not hurting smaller sports like Wrestling, Soccer, Rugby, and Lacrosse. The reality is that at Large D1 schools Football pays for all the other sports and also has the most scholarships (85). To make the number of scholarships between men and women equal you have to have enough women's sports to match the 85 scholarships. Since football pays for everything I think that it would be fairer to say that women must have as many scholarships as all other Men's sports and still getting a percentage of the football scholarships. The exact percentage would have to be negotiated but I think at least 50% up to 75%. That way you could add 1 or 2 men's sports without getting rid of any existing women's sports. Smaller sports can do partial scholarships like tuition paid only as a 1/2 scholarship so ten scholarships could be split among 20 students.

It definitely needs to be revamped. I think football needs to be excluded from it. (You can actually say exclude all of the scholarships for the sports that make money for the school, since they pay beyond what they cost.)

Title IX needs to be re-visited so that we take care of women sports while also not hurting smaller sports like Wrestling, Soccer, Rugby, and Lacrosse. The reality is that at Large D1 schools Football pays for all the other sports and also has the most scholarships (85). To make the number of scholarships between men and women equal you have to have enough women's sports to match the 85 scholarships. Since football pays for everything I think that it would be fairer to say that women must have as many scholarships as all other Men's sports and still getting a percentage of the football scholarships. The exact percentage would have to be negotiated but I think at least 50% up to 75%. That way you could add 1 or 2 men's sports without getting rid of any existing women's sports. Smaller sports can do partial scholarships like tuition paid only as a 1/2 scholarship so ten scholarships could be split among 20 students.

I totally disagree with the partial scholarships to other sports. I think all sports should get at the minimum full tuition/books for every athlete on the team regardless of sport. Let's be honest, those that participate in other sports (non football/basketball) are the ones mostly that are true student athletes. They are the ones that are going to stay 4 years, they are the ones that are going to earn a degree at their university of choice, and they are the ones that are looking to build a life dependent upon that degree.

I think its a shame that we completely fund the athletes that are looking to be 1 or 2 and done and do not care about a degree and we leave those that want their degree to fend for funding elsewhere.

I also support the concept that universities should provide its athletes with 4 year guaranteed scholarships, but in return for that obligation I think a athlete should not be able to leave for the professional leagues until they have earned a degree in return.

I totally disagree with the partial scholarships to other sports. I think all sports should get at the minimum full tuition/books for every athlete on the team regardless of sport. Let's be honest, those that participate in other sports (non football/basketball) are the ones mostly that are true student athletes. They are the ones that are going to stay 4 years, they are the ones that are going to earn a degree at their university of choice, and they are the ones that are looking to build a life dependent upon that degree.

I think its a shame that we completely fund the athletes that are looking to be 1 or 2 and done and do not care about a degree and we leave those that want their degree to fend for funding elsewhere.

I also support the concept that universities should provide its athletes with 4 year guaranteed scholarships, but in return for that obligation I think a athlete should not be able to leave for the professional leagues until they have earned a degree in return.

I don't disagree with your wish but the reality is it costs money and only one sport makes money. The reason I said split scholarships is that way more deserving kids would get a chance.

Archived