2021 4* QB Aaron McLaughlin Decommits From AU (2/4/20)

WarEagleAU

On 7/31/2019 at 11:19 AM, ellitor said:

Eli Manning Jr (Yes that's who Aaron McLaughlin looks like in the face) 

I thought there was a strict "do not bash the players" rule around here

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I thought there was a strict "do not bash the players" rule around here

Eli's response would be 2003 yo...

Only game I went to that year. That joker carved our asses up. Of all the classic performances that QBs have put on against us, that was one of them. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Eli's response would be 2003 yo...

Thanks a lot E. :(

And did you see who the LB was that got burned on the long pass wheel route completion to the FB?  Our very own LB coach Travis Williams..

And I was there too, and Eli simply was very good when he got on a roll...

9 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Thanks a lot E. :(

And did you see who the LB was that got burned on the long pass wheel route completion to the FB?  Our very own LB coach Travis Williams..

And I was there too, and Eli simply was very good when he got on a roll...

I was there as well, with a couple obnoxious “Ole Sis fans” sitting in front of me.

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I was there as well, with a couple obnoxious “Ole Sis fans” sitting in front of me.

I was at the 2002 game in Oxford where some mid 30s Old Myth fan in the row behind us was berating my 13 year old sister before the game.  I had to...indelicately discuss this issue with him face to face.

29 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I was at the 2002 game in Oxford where some mid 30s Old Myth fan in the row behind us was berating my 13 year old sister before the game.  I had to...indelicately discuss this issue with him face to face.

Perfect.

• ellitor featured and unpinned this topic

Big strong looking QB - looked confident in the pocket.  That receiver looked 'big time'.  Wonder if he is available -  wink wink.

• 1 month later...

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn took over play-calling duties for last year’s Music City Bowl and immediately found success.

The Tigers scored 63 points  setting a bevy of school and bowl records in the blowout – and he’s been calling the plays during the Tigers’ 4-0 start that’s featured victories over Oregon and Texas A&M.

Denmark (Ga.) quarterback Aaron McLaughlin – the Tigers’ quarterback commitment for the 2021 recruiting class – said he likes what he’s seen.

“I like it. He’s really creative,” McLaughlin said when asked about Malzahn. “I think he’s one of the smartest offensive minds in college, in football. It’s fun to watch. He plays to the strengths of the offense and the weakness of the defense. I think he’s done a really, really good job.”

Malzahn ceded play-calling duties to then-offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee in 2016 and allowed Chip Lindsey to call plays as offensive coordinator in 2017 and 2018.

But when Lindsey left before the Music City Bowl and Malzahn hired Kenny Dillingham as his replacement, Malzahn moved back into the play-caller role he’s filled from his days as an uber-successful high school coach in Arkansas.

Auburn is averaging 33.5 points per game and converting 47.5 percent of its third downs, all with freshman quarterback Bo Nix triggering the offense.

McLaughlin said he’s been impressed with Nix, too.

I think he’s done a good job, a lot better than people are giving him credit for,” the future Auburn quarterback said. “He’s only a freshman and already played two top 20 teams. … He’s done a great job in my opinion, a lot better than people are giving him credit for.”

McLaughlin committed Auburn on July 30, and he’s led his Denmark (Ga.) team to a 3-0 start to the 2019 season. Last week, McLaughlin completed 19-of-29 passes for 473 yards and three touchdowns to lead Denmark (Ga.) to a 38-24 victory over Dawson County (Ga.). He hooked up with 2020 Auburn commit Ze’Vian Capers nine times for 303 yards and TDs of 71 and 5 yards.

McLaughlin talked at length to AL.com earlier this week, and here’s excerpts from the conversation:

Q: Why did you pick Auburn and why did you decide to commit before your junior season of high school?

AM: The community and all the coaches and everything. I was like, ‘If I know I want to go here, there’s no point in waiting,’ so I thought it was the right time."

Q: How has life been different since you committed to Auburn?

AM: It’s definitely a lot of more people know me now. When I go places, people are like, ‘Yeah, he’s committed to Auburn.’ Even at football games and people taking pictures with me after the game. Last week we played an away game, and the dad on the sideline doing the chains, he took a picture with me during the game because he’s an Auburn fan. I guess it’s a little more notoriety, but I haven’t let it change me at all.”

Q: Auburn is undefeated. What do you think of Auburn’s start to the 2019 season?

AM: “I think it’s awesome. I’m not saying I’m surprised, but I think they’re surprising a lot of people. I’m really happy and glad, and it’s awesome to see. I hope they can keep it going.”

Q: Your high school teammate, receive Ze’Vian Capers, is also committed to Auburn. What, if any, influence did his decision have on you picking Auburn?

AM: “Not a lot. I mean, he obviously talked up Auburn and stuff, but if he weren’t going to Auburn, I’d still be going to Auburn. I don’t think you can really make your decision based off of a friend or a teammate or anything like that. It’s definitely awesome and helps and it’s really cool we can take that connection to Auburn."

Q: But you’ll have at least one receiver who’s caught a pass from you at Auburn, and and it seems impossible that you guys wouldn’t talk about your future at Auburn. What have those conversations been like?

AM: “Just excitement, really. We’re not getting too caught up in anything right now. Don’t look too far into the future. We’re definitely excited about it and just glad we get play together at the next level.”

Q: How do you evaluate how you have played so far this season and your team has played so far this season?

AM: “I’ve played well. There’s some stuff I’m learning every gam eand getting better at. There’s always room for improvement, so you’re never perfect. I look to improve every game. The starters have really only played eight quarters. Last week was the first game we’ve played. For the first two games, I only played the first half. We’ve been playing well as a team and getting better every week.”

Q: Every high school player and team starts the season with the dream and goal of winning a state title. How realistic is that goal for you and your team?

AM: “I think it’s a realistic goal. We have the talent to do it, but there’s also a lot of other talented teams in our classification. If we want to win state, we have to keep improving every week and learn from our mistakes and play as a team.”

Eyes down field and nice deep throws with touch 

moved around and was accurate throwing on the run, even deep throws right in WRs hands. Very accurate. Not sure on his quickness on release and arm strength..

He seems to have all of the tools to be exactly our type of QB.  Anyone who wonders if he has a strong enough arm...check out the first play...he threw it 50 yards on a dime, on the run, and off balance. He has great size and is kind of shifty. Not to mention, he showed a DB that he will gladly run you over if he gets the chance.  He will only get stronger and faster as he grows.  He's like 16 for goodness sake! I am sure that this kid will skyrocket up the recruiting rankings over the next 2 years barring injury.  War Eagle!

13 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

He seems to have all of the tools to be exactly our type of QB.  Anyone who wonders if he has a strong enough arm...check out the first play...he threw it 50 yards on a dime, on the run, and off balance. He has great size and is kind of shifty. Not to mention, he showed a DB that he will gladly run you over if he gets the chance.  He will only get stronger and faster as he grows.  He's like 16 for goodness sake! I am sure that this kid will skyrocket up the recruiting rankings over the next 2 years barring injury.  War Eagle!

He’s actually not 16, he’s 18. He should be a HS SR, he was held back in 7th grade to further enhance his athletic prowess over his peers. This isn’t me throwing shade, just stating facts. https://www.google.com/amp/s/usatodayhss.com/2016/seventh-grade-quarterback-aaron-mclaughlin-recruiting-sec/amp

Just now, AUinGA44 said:

He’s actually not 16, he’s 18. He should be a HS SR, he was held back in 8th grade to further enhance his athletic prowess over his peers. This isn’t me throwing shade, just stating facts.

Thanks for the correction. I like his upside either way.

If we survive our OL transition, get this kid here, redshirt him during Bo’s junior year, and he takes over the following year... boy howdy we could have some good years ahead 

A lot of ifs here but I like this kid a lot

I like the way he throws on the run. Competition level looks a little bit shaky. Will not be able to make guys miss like that at the next level, but looks natural in the pocket.

14 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

He’s actually not 16, he’s 18. He should be a HS SR, he was held back in 7th grade to further enhance his athletic prowess over his peers. This isn’t me throwing shade, just stating facts. https://www.google.com/amp/s/usatodayhss.com/2016/seventh-grade-quarterback-aaron-mclaughlin-recruiting-sec/amp

Mission accomplished, I suppose.

15 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

That is happening a lot around here the last 3-5 years

55 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Malcolm Gladwell is no scientist, but he researched hockey players in Canada extensively and almost every player on the national team was very old for his grade. It starts young. You're a little better than the kids who are only 4-5 months younger than you. So you get the reps, you get the attention from your coaches, you get the attention from other coaches, you make the all-star teams, etc. It's a snowball effect and by the time you're in high school you're more physically developed and more technically developed. 

On one hand it seems a little ethically gray, but obviously it works for some kids. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Happening here too. Number 1 QB in GA for 2020 is also a redshirt. GA DOE is considering implementing some state-wide penalty system to discourage it. 

Archived