2021 4* QB Aaron McLaughlin Decommits From AU (2/4/20)

WarEagleAU

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That is happening a lot around here the last 3-5 years

The best wrestling team I've coached was filled with 19 year olds on the verge of being 20. I don't personally condone this practice but there's no doubt that my biggest struggles when I was in high school wrestling was being a 14 year old freshmen going up against 20 year old seniors (the rules have now changed to where, once you hit 20, you are no longer allowed to compete in high school wrestling even if it's the day before the state tournament).

There's a reason a lot of guys going pro after only 3 years in college are 22-23. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUinGA44 said:

Happening here too. Number 1 QB in GA for 2020 is also a redshirt. GA DOE is considering implementing some state-wide penalty system to discourage it. 

There was a session at the THSCA school this year talking about how it was affecting things and if/how there could be a change.  The conclusion was it was bad and no one really knew how to stop it.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, bigbird said:

There was a session at the THSCA school this year talking about how it was affecting things and if/how there could be a change.  The conclusion was it was bad and no one really knew how to stop it.

The problem with stopping it is for some kids there is a legitimate reason they are older.  Sick when younger so had to skip a year family moved from another country had to spend a year to learn enough English to be able to understand teachers, etc.. What you want to stop is the Parents who intentionally held their kid back to give him or her a competitive advantage. The Rule that would stop the parents from legally cheating would hurt the kids who had a legitimate reason as they couldn't compete.  Some time the administration is stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard spot.

On October 3, 2019 at 5:18 PM, AUinGA44 said:

He’s actually not 16, he’s 18. He should be a HS SR, he was held back in 7th grade to further enhance his athletic prowess over his peers. This isn’t me throwing shade, just stating facts. https://www.google.com/amp/s/usatodayhss.com/2016/seventh-grade-quarterback-aaron-mclaughlin-recruiting-sec/amp

We used to call it, "his parents redshirted him" to make their son more competitive on the high school team.  My experience was that it was done a lot with kids who played soccer.   

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8041751/5d8cd72d0dc9ee09dcd43b67

First 7 games highlights. He puts a big arc on the ball and he looks like he has a big frame. Smooth north and south runner with some decent speed.

Looks super relaxed in the pocket. 

Seems to be more excitement about our 2021 QB commit than the 2020 commit.  Maybe it's because we should be set at the position for a couple of years. Hope AU can hold on to the big guy.  It's a long time to 2021 NSD.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

I watched this earlier today and this kid is very talented. Its a new HS he is playing for and obviously they were able to do some HS player recruiting because our WR commit is from the same HS and he is the real deal too. The coach was a state champion elsewhere before moving to this school.

• 2 months later...

2021 QB de-commits from Tigers

By Keith Niebuhr

Alpharetta (Ga.) Denmark 4-star 2021 quarterback Aaron McLaughlin is an Auburn commit no more.

McLaughlin, who gave his verbal to the Tigers last summer, backed off that pledge Tuesday night. He's the No. 13 pro-style quarterback and No. 183 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

According to our intel, it was a mutual parting.

Said McLaughlin in a brief interview with Auburn Undercover: "I just think I need to take a step back and look at my options. I'm 100 open to any program right now."

Just last week, Miami offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who once held the same position at Auburn, offered McLaughlin and it's possible the Hurricane could be a team to watch. N.C. State is another program that potentially will be in the mix.

McLaughlin is listed at 6-5, 225 pounds. As a junior, he completed just over 60 percent of his passes for 2,018 yards with 17 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He added 284 yards and nine more scores on the ground.

When McLaughlin committed to Auburn last July, Kenny Dillingham was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Dillingham left for Florida State in December and was replaced by former Arkansas head coach Chad Morris. Morris visited multiple 2021 quarterbacks in January, which in hindsight might have been a bit of foreshadowing.

Auburn now has three 2021 commitments. Five-star defensive tackle Lee Hunter is the headliner.

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 4* QB Aaron McLaughlin Decommits From AU (2/4/20)
  • ellitor unfeatured this topic
3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Need a DT qb. Period 

I am just hoping it is a mutual decision and that AU has someone else in mind that IS interested. Just seems strange and out of the blue.

17 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Just seems strange and out of the blue.

Not really 

"Morris visited multiple 2021 quarterbacks in January, which in hindsight might have been a bit of foreshadowing."

36 minutes ago, dmoney said:

Why not? 

Mutual parting of ways likely means with a new OC & supposedly Chad getting to be in charge of his O, he likely has a different QB board than Gus &/or Dilly did.

Archived