2021 4* QB Aaron McLaughlin Decommits From AU (2/4/20)

WarEagleAU

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Aaron is no more of a Pro Style QB than Nix is. He is very athletic and can run. He has great size and good speed for his size too. We got a great one here. I am sort of surprised that UGA was not in the mix. Kid has been a known quantity since middle school.

It is probably because he transferred to a brand new high school.  It isn't a well known school yet (for obvious reasons) so not a lot of publicity comes out.  I am surprised he did not go to Johns Creek High or Chattahoochee High (alma mater).

Just now, ellitor said:

What do you mean?

I did not see a thread created about him.

49 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Is he a composite 3 star because ESPN doesn't have their 2021 star ratings out yet? 

@tigerbrotha12 He's a composite 3* right now because the composite has not given 4*s to anyone ranked below #266 overall yet. AM is #278. If he stays there he will be a composite 4* because 4*s expand to around the top 350 in each class on the composite.

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It is probably because he transferred to a brand new high school.  It isn't a well known school yet (for obvious reasons) so not a lot of publicity comes out.  I am surprised he did not go to Johns Creek High or Chattahoochee High (alma mater).

It's already an athletic powerhouse. In year 1 their baseball team beat one of the best teams in the nation.

15 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I did not see a thread created about him.

We aren't going to create threads for top 10 lists.

Just now, ellitor said:

It's already an athletic powerhouse. In year 1 their baseball team beat one of the best teams in the nation.

That is a little different than football though.  The whole town of Johns Creek/Alpahretta/Milton is stacked with talent.  Many former players retire there so their kids hail from there.  If we can lock down that territory we would be in great shape.  My class alone at Chattahoochee had 4 SEC commits in football (Arkansas, Georgia) and one more to Wake Forest.  Granted that was 10 years ago and 3 new schools have opened.

Looks like he has some wheels to go with that arm. I’m no QB guru, but he sure looks like a great pick up to me. Welcome Aaron!!!

A QB who throws well and can run if needed named Aaron? 

I guess it's possible...

2021 QB Aaron McLaughlin commits to Auburn

Nathan King • AuburnSports

Auburn has landed its second commitment of the 2021 class.

Aaron McLaughlin, a 6-foot-5, pro-style quarterback from Denmark High School (Alpharetta, Ga.) announced his verbal pledge to the Tigers on Tuesday. He appeared at Auburn's annual War Eagle Picnic recruiting event last weekend.

"They want me; they need me," McLaughlin told reporters Saturday. "It feels good to be wanted and needed."

McLaughlin was in town last Friday for a camp with the Tigers. The 3-star QB said he felt he did enough to impress coach Gus Malzahn with not only his pocket presence and arm strength, but also his mobility as a bigger quarterback.

"I think it went really well," McLaughlin said of the camp. "They said I did great, that I threw really well, move really well."

McLaughlin also holds offers from Alabama, Texas A&M, Arkansas, South Carolina, NC State, Florida State, Florida and USC, among others. The No. 14 2021 QB in the country said his bond with new Auburn offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham has played a pivotal part in pushing Auburn to the top of his recruitment.

"Coach Dillingham, we're very comfortable," McLaughlin said. "I really like him a lot. We have a good relationship." 

-

Ranked as the No. 27 overall prospect in Georgia for 2021, McLaughlin is teammates at Denmark with current Auburn 2020 wide receiver commit Ze'Vian Capers.

The 4-star receiver had been working to attempt to sway his quarterback toward Auburn because he believes McLaughlin has the tools to become the next big-time gun-slinger on the Plains.

Capers noted that despite McLaughlin's massive stature, the QB's mobility is up there with some of the elite talent in the nation. Capers claims McLaughlin runs a 4.6-second 40-yard dash.

"He's a great leader," Capers said of McLaughlin. "He's a guy that can make plays using his arm and using his legs. He's a natural-born leader. He's got a strong arm and I can't wait to see what we do this season (at Denmark)."

McLaughlin joins 4-star running back Armoni Goodwin (Trussville, Ala.) in Auburn's 2021 class.

THE BEGINNING

"Auburn first started recruiting going into my freshman year. I was talking with coach Chip Lindsey (Troy head coach), the old offensive coordinator, and he got me on campus early. I threw for them then, and that is really when it started for me and Auburn.

"I watched Auburn growing up, so I was always aware of Auburn and what type of team they were. I remember watching Cam Newton win a National Championship, so I knew about their history early on.

"They offered me in the spring of my freshman year, so we have been talking a lot. I was at Auburn that season when they beat Georgia and Alabama at home, and it was awesome. I knew Auburn was a great school then, and sitting in the stands at those games made me feel that I could really see myself here.

"I fell in love with Auburn back then. That is really when I started to get serious about Auburn. It started earlier than people thought."

THE TURN

"Auburn was always up there, but people didn't know it. I didn't really talk about it much, but I visited Auburn a lot more than people knew. I have always had a great relationship with Gus Malzahn, so Auburn has been high on my list for a long time.

"When I visited in the spring for spring practice and quarterback meetings, I knew Auburn could really be the school for me. I was thinking then that Auburn could be it for me. That is really when I started to think about it.

"Then I was back in June and I made my decision. That visit in the spring pushed them to the top, then I camped there in June and I knew it. I thought about it a little longer, but in my mind, I felt Auburn was where I was going."

THE FINALE

"I committed to coach Malzahn and coach Dillingham Saturday on the visit. I knew going into the visit that I was going to commit.

"I thought about it after the camp in June, and I knew then that Auburn was the school, but I just wanted to think about it more. My plan was always to go into my season, take a little more time, but the more I thought about it after the visit in June, the more I knew Auburn was the school.

"I knew I wanted to go there, so I was ready to commit and I did it. I always had that comfort level there like I was at home with the coaches. All the coaches are great people and makes it feel like family.

"Auburn beat out Arkansas, Alabama, NC State and Ole Miss.

"This commitment means a lot to me. I am done with recruiting and I do not plan to visit anywhere else. I am shutting it down. I have no reason to go anywhere else."

FWIW for those worried about Aaron running an option offense the staff had him do some option work in camp before they were ready to take him.

Great pickup Dillingham is showing he is quite a recruiter.

43 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This kid talks about watching Cam at AU when he was growing up.  Damn I'm getting old.

Same thought here.

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great pickup Dillingham is showing he is quite a recruiter.

Yup! That's a combined 8 commits in the 2020 & 2021 classes he's had a real factor in.

Look at those bama bangs!!!!!!!!! Brodie Croyle is jealous!!!! lol............ O and GENE THIS POST IS FOR YOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!! I know you would make some comment like this that would rile everyone up! lmao. Miss you fam! Hope you are doing well in your post AU Family life.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

@ellitor, I saw we were in Jake Garcia's top 10.  He is a 2021 QB prospect ranked #21 overall.  Is that worth talking about?

ABout that.........

er.gif

I hope he is not another Jeremy Johnson. We need QBs that can run and make the zone read offense click. I see he has a time of 4.6 forty of which is fast for a big guy. He could grow a few more inches and a few more pounds. I just want a QB who can run fast enough to make Gus' offense click.

8 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hope he is not another Jeremy Johnson. We need QBs that can run and make the zone read offense click. I see he has a time of 4.6 forty of which is fast for a big guy. He could grow a few more inches and a few more pounds. I just want a QB who can run fast enough to make Gus' offense click.

Stidham ran a 4.81 at the combine, for those that are curious.

On 7/23/2014 at 6:53 PM, AUcivE09 said:

Just curious - how is this guy already in the 'Rivals Recruiting'? Already committed to the Lobos?

Wow - one of the last posts I made from my old job. I was trying to remember the last time I even typed "Lobos"....then I saw the date of the post!

Archived