2015 3* CB Chris Westry (Kentucky signee)

CameronCrazy

6_2977263.jpg

Chris Westry, CB

Orange Park, FL (Oakleaf)

6'5 / 185 / 4.43

- Recruiters: Rodney Garner (P), Melvin Smith (S)

- Camped at AU 7/19/14 and picked up an offer

- Committed to AU 7/24/14

Prospect card from Auburn camp ...

BtHL3YzCAAEU9SQ.jpg

The 6-foot-4, 180-pound defensive back from Orange Park, Fla. fell in love with the school last weekend when he earned a scholarship offer with a strong camp performance. After mulling it over for a few days, Westry called Auburn coach Gus Malzahn on Thursday to say he was committing to Auburn over Florida and South Florida.

"They are a family. They care about me," Westry says about his reasons for picking Auburn. "Those are the two big things that really played a role. They cared about me. I enjoy that they are willing to go down and help me become a better football player."

http://www.al.com/sp...westry_com.html

Offers: Auburn, Charlotte, FIU, Florida, Ohio, South Florida and UCF, among others.

247Sports: 3*

Rivals: 2*

Scout: 3*

Hudl Highlights

1348555.jpg

BOOM!!!!! How do we get a commit from a kid like this without even having a profile on him??? This is what makes me feel better about our D-line recruiting. We barely knew this kid existed and now he's all in! WAR DAMN CHRIS!!

I'm pretty surprised that we accepted his commitment. He must have really blown it up last weekend. I'm not sure if this is in anticipation of Tony Bridges flipping to Ole Miss. But we still have Darius Slayton on the board, and guys like Terry Godwin & Tavarres McFadden could still be in range if we have another great season...

I'm super excited about this, he is a gem and his physical potential is that of a 5 star. Glad to be getting tall corners finally

WR

I think we will coach him up and use him to cover the 6'4" receivers that everyone seems to be getting these days.

As discussed a while back, one thing we can do to improve the D is get some DBs who can match up with big WRs that are showing up in the SEC all of a sudden....plus a guy this size would seem top have some versatility for AU's current defensive scheme.

Package deal for somebody? Dude has raw talent...saw the highlight reel. Just curious.

Package deal for somebody? Dude has raw talent...saw the highlight reel. Just curious.

SIAP that he got an offer from UF at their camp...and now one at AU...coaches must be seeing something that all those experts at RIvals and elsewhere have missed. Obviously has improved/grown or whatever since last season....but I expect the coaches know what they are looking for and his size and speed got their attention.

I'm pretty surprised that we accepted his commitment. He must have really blown it up last weekend. I'm not sure if this is in anticipation of Tony Bridges flipping to Ole Miss. But we still have Darius Slayton on the board, and guys like Terry Godwin & Tavarres McFadden could still be in range if we have another great season...

McFadden is not in range and barring a UGA total colapse Godwin is a long shot.

We must not be feeling good about Slayton.

IMO says more about Bridges than Slayton. We are looking for 2 DBs in this class, still need another if TB flips to Ole Miss.

Edited by au_bsci_04

I'm super excited about this, he is a gem and his physical potential is that of a 5 star. Glad to be getting tall corners finally

Interesting. What is holding his ratings back?

We must not be feeling good about Slayton.

It's 1 of 3 things. The one you mentioned. Don't feel good about Brifges. or CW jumped Slayton on the staff's board with his camp work this weekend.

Might be the fact that he is rated as a Safety and does not grade out as highly at that position versus DB. The recent attention from AU and UF is at DB, so maybe in future ranking updates he is assessed at the position he committed for.

WR

I think we will coach him up and use him to cover the 6'4" receivers that everyone seems to be getting these days.

I was getting tired of watching Manziel throwing the jump pass to Evans last year, Mr. Westry can put an end to this with his height.

Top 2016 LB target Shaq Quarterman is at the same school but I doubt it's a package deal.

Top 2016 LB target Shaq Quarterman is at the same school but I doubt it's a package deal.

It can't hurt though.

Likely new to the recruiting sites. AU and UF are the only 2 quality offers and they came after recent camp performances.

SIAP that he got an offer from UF at their camp...and now one at AU...coaches must be seeing something that all those experts at RIvals and elsewhere have missed. Obviously has improved/grown or whatever since last season....but I expect the coaches know what they are looking for and his size and speed got their attention.

^^^This.

Just because we're loading up on 4* guys doesn't mean there's anything wrong with a 3* guy. Coaches are obviously seeing something in him that makes them think he's got the potential to be special. We wouldn't have accepted his commit -- and he likely wouldn't have earned these offers -- if this were not the case.

War Eagle, Westry!

From Rivals:
Joining Westry on his trip to Auburn last weekend was 2016 linebacker Shaquille Quarterman, who is committed to Miami. Westry said he plans to recruit Quarterman for the Tigers.

"It would be great to have a teammate play with you from high school," he said. Westry said his decision is final. "I don't think I'm going to look at any more schools." Westry had 32 tackles, one tackle-for-loss, three pass breakups and one interception as a junior.

"Nobody really threw the ball my way," he said.

Edited by ellitor
quoted and made readable for blue users.

From Rivals:
Joining Westry on his trip to Auburn last weekend was 2016 linebacker Shaquille Quarterman, who is committed to Miami. Westry said he plans to recruit Quarterman for the Tigers.

"It would be great to have a teammate play with you from high school," he said. Westry said his decision is final. "I don't think I'm going to look at any more schools." Westry had 32 tackles, one tackle-for-loss, three pass breakups and one interception as a junior.

"Nobody really threw the ball my way," he said.

Yes, we want Quarterman if we can get him.