2015 3* CB Chris Westry (Kentucky signee)

CameronCrazy

WR

I think we will coach him up and use him to cover the 6'4" receivers that everyone seems to be getting these days.

I was getting tired of watching Manziel throwing the jump pass to Evans last year, Mr. Westry can put an end to this with his height.

And Kelvin Benjamin

I'm super excited about this, he is a gem and his physical potential is that of a 5 star. Glad to be getting tall corners finally

Interesting. What is holding his ratings back?

I'm super excited about this, he is a gem and his physical potential is that of a 5 star. Glad to be getting tall corners finally

He wasn't recruited by bama

Tall is good -- IF he has the flexibility, fluidity and speed to keep up and recover against those WRs. Is he so good that offenses do not test him? 3 break ups and 1 interception for a season?

But I guess the coaching staff saw some signs that he has potential, or they would not have accepted his commit.

Edited by AURex

But I guess the coaching staff saw some signs that he has potential, or they would not have accepted his commit.

Yeah: his athleticism. He's a project. They're hoping that they can teach him to play football.

Are we throwing 3 stars in the trash now? Too much star gazing and second guessing at times. I understand the comparisons of the ratings and wondering. I am ok with the opinions given, but we had to of really offered if we accepted his commitment. Going with the coaches and saying War Eagle to Mr Westy! You can't make them 6'4"... they have to come that way.

Are we throwing 3 stars in the trash now? Too much star gazing and second guessing at times. I understand the comparisons of the ratings and wondering. I am ok with the opinions given, but we had to of really offered if we accepted his commitment. Going with the coaches and saying War Eagle to Mr Westy! You can't make them 6'4"... they have to come that way.

Dee Ford was a 3 star, and a first round draft pick. He was amazing last year. I will never forget him.

Dee Ford was a 3 star, and a first round draft pick. He was amazing last year. I will never forget him.

Alex Kozan, too, one of our best O-linemen; Peyton Barber, from whom most of us expect a lot this year. I believe Nick Marshall was a 3* Athlete.

his measurable from camping would have put him in solid company among the CBs at this years combine. 37.5 on the vertical jump, with a 4.43 40. Kid seems like he has crazy potential, and apparently he just doesn't really like being recruited, which explains why he is so unheralded

Edited by dire_tiger

While I know that he could very well a huge asset to the team in a couple years, is he really that good, or are we making ourselves believe he is that good?

While I know that he could very well a huge asset to the team in a couple years, is he really that good, or are we making ourselves believe he is that good?

Guess you might want to check with Gus on that question....don't think anybody on here can give you a knowledgeable answer.

Guess you might want to check with Gus on that question....don't think anybody on here can give you a knowledgeable answer.

He earned an offer at camp, and we accepted his commit. That says something to me. I'm psyched about Auburn football and have no reason to need to make myself feel better. I think we're in excellent shape.

War Eagle!

One can't get caught up in the rankings or the position a Junior in High School is recruited in, Dansby was a 6'5" 205 WR, look how that panned out....He could end up being that dream LB Mikey needs so bad!!

Sammie Coates had a similar route to his offer. If you really trust the coaches then you should be excited about him because he has the physical tools that you can't teach and I think he'll be coached well. If I'm not mistaken Smith coached Banks and he was like a 2 star qb coming out

He wasn't recruited by bama

exactly!

He earned an offer at camp, and we accepted his commit. That says something to me. I'm psyched about Auburn football and have no reason to need to make myself feel better. I think we're in excellent shape.

War Eagle!

I was told Westry was elite at both the Florida and AU camps. Boom offered Westry on the spot, same for AU. Elite talent that can't be coached. Was being pushed hard by Boom to commit to UF. Westry's coached called RG and that set the AU camp visit. FWIW.

War Eagle!

I was told Westry was elite at both the Florida and AU camps. Boom offered Westry on the spot, same for AU. Elite talent that can't be coached. Was being pushed hard by Boom to commit to UF. Westry's coached called RG and that set the AU camp visit. FWIW.

Thanks for the info, WDE -- sounds great!

Sammie Coates had a similar route to his offer. If you really trust the coaches then you should be excited about him because he has the physical tools that you can't teach and I think he'll be coached well. If I'm not mistaken Smith coached Banks and he was like a 2 star qb coming out

Excellent points.

Also, Will Muschamp knows a thing or two about the secondary. So if only one other big program's offered this kid at this point, UF's not a bad one.

Excellent points.

Also, Will Muschamp knows a thing or two about the secondary. So if only one other big program's offered this kid at this point, UF's not a bad one.

Yep. Muschamp is one of my favorite coaches to coach at AU. He is a trip to talk too. Knows how to coach and play D. Mean as hell is high school.

The coaches fell in love with him at camp so that's good enough for me Edited by ellitor

I think it is very likely that this kid s just jumped off the charts for AU. I think he has the size that DB's will be have to get to compete against the taller, athletic receivers. In our case, look at Coates, in the NFL there is Megatron, Fitzgerald, R. White, and others.

Edited by JFDTiger80

I think it is very likely that this kid s just jumped off the charts for AU. I think he has the size that DB's will be have to get to compete against the taller, athletic receivers. In our case, look at Coates, in the NFL there is Megatron, Fitzgerald, R. White, and others.

Agreed, but it's rare to find a 6'4" guy that has the ability to react as fast as the shorter DB's. The average NFL CB is under 6' tall. Maybe Westry is the exception and if not, with that size and speed he could play and help at any number of positions.