Cal

bigsixfive

Whats the deal with the pity party involving Cal? We have the much greater injustice here. I'm not saying I want all the pity or don't feel bad for Cal, but is it really a stretch to think if a group of coaches screwed Cal to get UT in a BCS game, they screwed us to get OU into a game? I'm sorry, but it seems like much attention is being poured onto Cal to mask the bigger tragedy... The Coach's Poll screwed them, the entire system screwed us.

the reason you are seeing that pity party is because that team is from LA and we're just from East Alabama. I will say that they did get screwed, as they barely lost to USC at USC and Texas got shut out on a neutral field against OU. Also, that Southern Miss game was spost to be played earlier in the season, so the voters wouldn't have looked at it as much. Texas almost lost to Arkansas and Kansas, and someone else I think but I can't remember who. Yea they got screwed, but we are undefeated and did that in the SEC.

I suspect it's because the same forces that were behind the jobbing of AU were more visibly evident against Cal. Here's what I mean:

Why is it a rule that USC and OU can't be moved down because they haven't lost a game, but Cal can be moved down in favor of Texas even though Cal won? How is it that Texas can gain votes following a weekend that it did not play and no teams above it lost?

Answer: Texas received six third-place votes and one second place vote from coaches in the Coaches Poll. No reasonable, halfway intelligent person could even remotely consider Texas to be the #2 team in the country.

The Big 12 is looking out for it's own financial interests at the expense of others. Block-voting by coaches in the Big 12 insured Texas a BCS spot, a difference of more than $14 Million, of which a portion is split within the Big 12. Is it any surprise that BCS chairman is also the Commisioner of the Big12?

Big 12 coaches dishonor the game by showing a lack of integrity. It's one of the key reasons I've never been able to develop a love for professional football in the same way I have for CFB.

Why is it a rule that USC and OU can't be moved down because they haven't lost a game, but Cal can be moved down in favor of Texas even though Cal won?  How is it that Texas can gain votes following a weekend that it did not play and no teams above it lost?

130353[/snapback]

To add to that... On the weekend where OU and AU had a bye week and USC won their game, OU gained in the polls. OU must have had a stellar bye week.

As frustrated as I am about the process, I'm determined not to let it ruin my thoughts of this team or the experience they've given me. On to the Sugar Bowl... 13-0, here we go!

I suspect it's because the same forces that were behind the jobbing of AU were more visibly evident against Cal. 

130353[/snapback]

That's why I feel for Cal. The financial impact of not going to a BCS Bowl is pretty heavy too. They should have been given a chance just we should have. Just as I felt USC should have been given a chance this year. The system is too open to corruption and the Big XII, lead primarily by the former Big VIII, is just the type of conference to exploit it.

The worst part is all the "experts" said all Cal had to do was win to be in the BCS and they won, but they're not. So much for the experts.

Cal is more deserving the Texas. Cal has less talent overall. Texas gets a top 10 recruiting class and what has Mack Brown done with it? Besides lose to OU every year by large margins?!

Personally, I feel for Cal too. They got jobbed big time. Let's say the rolls were reversed and we had one loss. A win in the SECCG and it's a given that we're going to the Sugar. The polls come out and we've been replaced by a team that didn't even play and now we're Capital One bound. We're not posting on this board, we're marching on the NCAA headquarters.

I'm like most of you and feel the PAC 10 is a far weaker conference. But that's just my perception and I'm not going to be a hypocrit and say we deserve top billing just because we're in the SEC. I'm guilty of the same bias the voters are if I do that. PLAYOFF, PLAYOFF, PLAYOFF. PROVE IT ON THE FIELD.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Personally, I feel for Cal too.  They got jobbed big time.  Let's say the rolls were reversed and we had one loss.  A win in the SECCG and it's a given that we're going to the Sugar.  The polls come out and we've been replaced by a team that didn't even play and now we're Capital One bound.  We're not posting on this board, we're marching on the NCAA headquarters.

130506[/snapback]

Not exactly the same situation. Cal was not a conference champion.

One thing everyone is also not taking into consideration. The NCAA has nothing to do with the BCS, bowl games and the ilk. They state on their website that they do not recognize a national championship in Div 1-A football. The question that should be raised to that is "Why?" They recognize championships in every other sport, including other divisions of football, which do have playoffs.

The answer, big money from the bowlsters, who have gone from civic events to corporate events and therefore generate BIG money. It is all about the mighty dollar.

Which brings us back to the NCAA and a legal question that was raised by Rick and Bubba on their radio show this morning: Could a class action lawsuit be brought against the NCAA in regards to Title IX, which states that women's and men's sports be treated equitably? Basically, since women have a playoff/championship event for soccer, gymnastics, synchronized swimming, et al., could a suit be brought to force them to do the same for D 1-A football?

I understand it's not exactly the same. Just using a hypothetical to point out how we'd feel if we were relegated to a lesser bowl because of voter bias, a screwed up system....hey...wait a minute...WE DID!!!

Lawsuit wouldn't work. Title IX just means you get an opportunity to have parity in the amount of sports offered, not how the games are played.

What hurt Cal in my eyes is the league they play in. Weak conference with a bunch of 35-30 scores every week. Does anyone in the Pac 10 play defense?

Cal's biggest reason to cry is going from a $14.5M payout to a $2M payout. That would make me scream too!!!

They did get screwed as bad as we did, IMO.

What hurt Cal in my eyes is the league they play in.  Weak conference with a bunch of 35-30 scores every week.  Does anyone in the Pac 10 play defense?

130525[/snapback]

Thats what brings them down in my opinion as well, but using that same logic why is USC #1? This is the team that lost to Cal everywhere but the scoreboard, struggled with Stanford and UCLA, and let everyone run all over them. Coaches and AP voters can't legitimately use that arguement to justify the low ranking of Cal simply because all of the praise they put forth towards USC.

How bout y'all take it easy on us so we can make one final statement? ;)

The answer, big money from the bowlsters, who have gone from civic events to corporate events and therefore generate BIG money. It is all about the mighty dollar.

Yep. You're right that's it's about the benji's. But to be more specific, it's about the distribution of those revenues. That's what the bowl system is all about -economic lemmings, waiting to be harvested. The elite programs reap most of the benefit too, recieving tens-of-millions of dollars in economic benefits. Corporate sponsors control far more than ever before and they want to entertain their clients at big-time events..... and trust me, the Super Bowl is a far more cost-intense experience than the Bowls.

There's no issue with students attending classes and there's no issue with a playoff format. The NCAA has already proven it can accomodate both at different divisional levels and across many different sports.

I wonder how many state officials in Cali have financial ties to the Grandaddy-Of-The-Mall ? .... Louisiana (a state that perfected the art of Good 'Ole Boy Politics :D )

The outcome of a potential class-action suit is heavily in favor of the NCAA. and the Bowls. It won't be a class lawsuit, rather, it will be antitrust litigation that eventually brings the NCAA around to instituting a playoff system.

The NCAA is colluding with Big Media and using the Bowl System as the middleman conduit to disguise the transaction. The BCS is just another kind of smoke to cloud the issue. It's past time for a playoff.

Personally, I feel for Cal too.  They got jobbed big time.  Let's say the rolls were reversed and we had one loss.  A win in the SECCG and it's a given that we're going to the Sugar.  The polls come out and we've been replaced by a team that didn't even play and now we're Capital One bound.  We're not posting on this board, we're marching on the NCAA headquarters.

I'm like most of you and feel the PAC 10 is a far weaker conference.  But that's just my perception and I'm not going to be a hypocrit and say we deserve top billing just because we're in the SEC.  I'm guilty of the same bias the voters are if I do that.  PLAYOFF, PLAYOFF, PLAYOFF.  PROVE IT ON THE FIELD.

130506[/snapback]

I understand what the principle is , but we couldn't have lost a bid to the Sugar Bowl no matter what as long as we won the SECCG. The idea here is for the wild card, and it was either Texas or Cal. The problem that caused Texas to jump Cal was foul voting practices. Who can honestly say without guilt that Texas is #2 in the country, when their are still 5 undefeateds. Now I'm not saying Texas is a bad team, I actually like Texas, and think the only reason they don't get to go to the National Title is because they lose to OU every year. The reason why they didn't go to a BCS game last year was that Kansas State won the Big 12 Champ. Well that's beside the point. I think coaches need to be unbiased towards conference when they are honestly don't deserve that high of a spot. I am not saying to automatically vote for other conferences. I am just saying that give teams what they deserve, and Texas doesn't deserve to be ahead of us or maybe even Cal. I would actually like to see Texas play Cal, that would be a good matchup.

Archived