Bill Snyder says Auburn had Kansas State signals in first half

aujeff11

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't think he was accusing Auburn of anything negative, it just came across wrong. Gus even said at halftime that they had figured out what KSU was doing.

Okay, I'm not going to read through 9 pages of this, but quite frankly I would be more surprised if we weren't trying to figure out their signals, and I would expect that Malzahn is pretty good at it. Stealing signs is part of the game...if you're going to let us see your signals, we're going to try to decipher them. To think that we wouldn't is like flat screaming the play to the QB from the sideline and expecting us not to listen.

For the record, when my high school played against a team that was signaling in plays from the sideline, I was the guy coaches asked to try to get a read on what they meant. To this day I'm not sure if it was because I actually figured it out, or if I just got lucky, but my suggestion to the DC put the free safety in perfect position for an interception, and we shut them down the final drive as well. Of course, it didn't matter much, as they still won by two touchdowns...nevertheless, the point is that this isn't new. And what's more is my suggestion wasn't based on reading a specific play, but rather a general one (pass right in that instance), something that could easily have been picked up by one of the Auburn coaches on the fly. So, again, it's pretty dicey to act as if stealing signals is somehow morally reproachable.

I should, however, add that I doubt Snyder was using it as an excuse so much as a reason for what was going on. I've seen neither the clip of him talking nor the quote of what he said, but I can't believe that Bill Snyder would make this out as cheating; if anything, I would think it might be a begrudging tip of the cap to the "high school coach"...

Remember when Mississippi state stole our signals in 2012, but no one gave a crap, because we sucked anyways?

Remember when Alabama stole our signals for the first quarter and a half and jumped out to a 24-0 lead? Yeah, no one cares that the signals were stolen anymore, because it set the stage for the biggest comeback in Iron Bowl history, but it (allegedly) happened...

Really but nothing on ESPN regarding referee crew from their conference and blatant no calls for KS holding and blocks in the back? I was listening to AU announcers during the game and they were very vocal on this. ESPN announcers never commented

ESPN was too busy partying in the booth to really comment on the game. We did not get a decent announcing crew.

Yes yes Bill...Auburn was stealing your signs - which led to their success. They somehow knew, based on devious reconnaissance that you had sent the "miss a field goal" signal into the players and they totally capitalized on it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The only time "stealing signals" is wrong to me is if you used unethical means to obtain them...secretly filming practices, obtaining a playbook, having a mole on the inside feeding you information. But if you can see what they are signaling and decipher what play that means is coming, that's just football. I mean, our signals are out there for anyone to see. Granted we have hand signals and placards and such so it's not easy to tell what's coming, but if you're smart enough to discern a correlation between certain elements and what play we run, so be it. It's on us to disguise them better.

Quit whining and making excuses. Makes you look pathetic.

Not having seen a clip of how he said it, was he really making excuses, or is this more of things being taken out of context, kinda like the whole Marshall to K-State deal that got so much talk?

First paragraph is spot on, btw.

Funny don't hear Gus complaining about the Home Town Refs. I mean the block in the back on the big punt return was so obvious and several times the K-state offense linemen were holding on to the BACK of our guys jersey because they were beat. I know they have to let some things go but damn some of those were so obvious and the end result was a huge play for K-state most of the time. The defensive holding call (can't remember who it was on) that was on 3rd down and was the off setting penalty for the chop block I thought was very bad. Maybe they explained it but unfortunately I was watching at a club and there was no real audio. I didn't see any defensive holding on the little replay they showed. Ok we won off the soap box now everyone carry on.

I thought standard protocol was for the visiting team's conference to provide the field refs. The SEC must have opted out because of the distance out there.

Good preparation can make it seem like a defense knows the calls. Every staff spends plenty of time reviewing tape to identify tendencies. It's not too hard to know based on formation and situation what type of plays a team likes to run. Throw in the fact that many audibles tend to be simplistic in nature and players on the field can hear and figure out if a play is going to be a run or a pass. I remember back in high school we could figure out if the opposing offense was calling a run or pass based on how long it took to call in the play. Passes were almost always longer, so if it took them more than a second to call in the play we knew it'd be a pass.

The only time "stealing signals" is wrong to me is if you used unethical means to obtain them...secretly filming practices, obtaining a playbook, having a mole on the inside feeding you information. But if you can see what they are signaling and decipher what play that means is coming, that's just football. I mean, our signals are out there for anyone to see. Granted we have hand signals and placards and such so it's not easy to tell what's coming, but if you're smart enough to discern a correlation between certain elements and what play we run, so be it. It's on us to disguise them better.

Quit whining and making excuses. Makes you look pathetic.

Not having seen a clip of how he said it, was he really making excuses, or is this more of things being taken out of context, kinda like the whole Marshall to K-State deal that got so much talk?

First paragraph is spot on, btw.

He never said "Auburn stole our signals" that was the stupid reporters words twisting his words.

What he said was and I quote:"They're getting our signals," meaning we were figuring out their calls. Not that we were cheating. The media making a big deal out of a non story. Twisting a coaches words...imagine that.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/19/if-auburn-was-stealing-signs-nobody-to-blame-but-kansas-state/

If Auburn was stealing signs, nobody to blame but Kansas State

Posted by Kevin McGuire on September 19, 2014, 8:22 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwy0ogm4zdezn2zlote4owmwyzzlzjixnmzjztuymtu3.jpeg?w=234

Getty Images

Auburn picked up a hard-fought victory on the road Thursday night at Kansas State, defeating the Big 12’s Wildcats by afinal score of 20-14 in a game that almost seemed to go against the grain for the SEC’s Auburn Tigers. Auburn was forced to slow things down in order to protect a lead and there were times when Auburn’s running game seemed to be out-worked by a relentless and well-prepared Kansas State defense. Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder thinks Auburn had another advantage to rely on; stealing signs.

As the teams went to halftime Thursday night in Manhattan, Snyder told ESPN sideline reporter Sam Ponder he believed Auburn had picked up on some of Kansas State’s signals. The veteran coach suggested to Ponder his team needed to do a better job of disguising their calls in order to keep Auburn guessing. Following the game, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn disputed having any advantage of that kind, not that there should be any reason to feel bad about it if indeed Auburn did figure something out.

To be fair, Snyder was not accusing Malzahn and Auburn of doing anything wrong. He seemed to be just making an observation to Ponder, as it was reported during the telecast. Kansas State had plenty of opportunities to score the upset, and the possibility of having signals stolen by Auburn is far down on the list behind missed field goals, failed red zone opportunities and turnovers.

There should be a line drawn between the idea of stealing signals and picking up on signals. Stealing implies a team or person did something wrong, perhaps by sending someone undercover to scope out a team’s practice during the week or by getting a hold of an opponent’s playbook or game plan before the kickoff. Picking up on hand signals or vocal calls during the course of a game should be considered nothing more than awareness and showing an ability to adjust. There is nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with a quarterback calling an audible at the line of scrimmage because he does not like what he sees in the defensive formation.

The coach and team that learns to make adjustments the fastest will have a schematic advantage. Those who fail to make those adjustments are only holding themselves back.

Thanks Tampa Tiger hadn't seen that article, seen the one on espn. It's funny, in the comments more haters crying, but best of all comments was the last one, made by a bama fan of all people.

amosalanzostagg says:Sep 19, 2014 6:48 PM

If Auburn was stealing signs in the first half of yesterday’s game when Auburn was only up 10-7? Explain why Snyder’s disguising of his play calls in the second half allowed Auburn to win the game?

Maybe, just maybe Auburn’s halftime adjustments allowed Auburn to execute better on the field?

Naw.

Auburn beat a solid KSU team in Manhattan, Kansas on a Thursday night.

Nothing more, nothing less.

RTR

I have just lost some respect for Bill Snyder.

Who will be the first journalist to ask: Why did Auburn's "D" play better in the 2nd half?

Plus, is it illegal to to try and predict what an opposing teams "O" is doing based on the O's formations, personnel on the field, down and distance, play calling history, side line signals? I mean if K-state is about to call a trick play, or any play and the opposing coaching staffs figures it out and counters, is there something wrong with that?

You got beat Bill, in one of the biggest games in your teams history (Big 12?) on your home field.

Get to the acceptance stage and move on!

Sounds like Saban whining after getting beat......it's somebody else's fault, not mine.

Ha um Saban does a lot of a**hole things, but that's not one of them. He ALWAYS gives the opposing team that beats us a lot of praise in the post game presser. Had a ton of good things to say about Auburn last year.

Nick "Blame the Players, Saban" Lil nickie's voice, video, and words.

In the words of Keith Olbermann: "Doesn't a university fire a guy after statements like this"

If you're on the field, you're trying to figure it out. Just like in baseball, I'm watching and thinking. And when I crack it, what am I supposed to do, act like I don't know?

If you're not smart enough to understand that, then huddle like Bert.

Sounds like Saban whining after getting beat......it's somebody else's fault, not mine.

Ha um Saban does a lot of a**hole things, but that's not one of them. He ALWAYS gives the opposing team that beats us a lot of praise in the post game presser. Had a ton of good things to say about Auburn last year.

Nick "Blame the Players, Saban" Lil nickie's voice, video, and words.

In the words of Keith Olbermann: "Doesn't a university fire a guy after statements like this"

In general, that reporter is the biggest blow hard. He is always calling for people to quit. He shouldn't be taken seriously.

Archived