Bill Snyder says Auburn had Kansas State signals in first half

aujeff11

God must be on our side. Just sayin.

Think it's that "Gus and AU are on God's side," technically.

But, yeah... I have felt since UGA last year that angels have been batting the ball for us a little.

BIG difference. And yes, that is evident. :jossun:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Saban whining after getting beat......it's somebody else's fault, not mine.

Ha um Saban does a lot of a**hole things, but that's not one of them. He ALWAYS gives the opposing team that beats us a lot of praise in the post game presser. Had a ton of good things to say about Auburn last year.

Nick "Blame the Players, Saban" Lil nickie's voice, video, and words.

In the words of Keith Olbermann: "Doesn't a university fire a guy after statements like this"

In general, that reporter is the biggest blow hard. He is always calling for people to quit. He shouldn't be taken seriously.

The response was to the claim, Lil Nickie doesn't make excuses after a loss like Bill Snyder is doing. Nickie blames everything from the fans leaving the student section, to the opposing teams "O" moving too fast, so the rules have to be changed, to "we had the right play called, the players just didn't execute" to "we told them AU had a player back there, they just didn't fan the field and cover him"

Sounds like Saban whining after getting beat......it's somebody else's fault, not mine.

Ha um Saban does a lot of a**hole things, but that's not one of them. He ALWAYS gives the opposing team that beats us a lot of praise in the post game presser. Had a ton of good things to say about Auburn last year.

Nick "Blame the Players, Saban" Lil nickie's voice, video, and words.

In the words of Keith Olbermann: "Doesn't a university fire a guy after statements like this"

I'm confused. Beege said this doesn't happen, lol.

Fantastic! 3 of our last 4 opponents accuse us of 'stealing their signals'. Of course what they really mean is, "Auburn broke our code." This tells me that there are those on Auburn's sidelines whose job it partially to break opponents' codes. And I think that's great. They're obviously doing a fine job of it.

If you can look across the field and be able to read the opposing team's signals, you are doing your job.

^^Pretty much my feeling.

While this might make a good excuse for a losing coach, I've never understood why some people react as if this is an "evil" or borderline dishonest thing to do. Unless you've somehow bugged their locker room or paid someone to steal a play book, it's just part of the game. I'd love to have a coach who could decode the opposition's signals on the fly every game. Hell, we flash our signals on a great big display board--if the opposing coach can figure them out, good for him! Just gotta figure out what "Batman, Smurf, Actor, Flash" means..... ;)/>

Plus the three grad assistants all throwing different hand signals.

Dead on Stripe. This was ALL BSPN spin to smear Auburn again. Bill never said we stole their signals. Wake up people.

I wonder if people have regained respect for Bill Snyder now that we know the truth about what he said?

When will people (AU fans) ever learn to not believe everything you read or hear from ESPN? And not allow their biased reporting/journalism sway your opinion of a good coach/man like Bill Snyder.

Dead on Stripe. This was ALL BSPN spin to smear Auburn again. Bill never said we stole their signals. Wake up people.

I wonder if people have regained respect for Bill Snyder now that we know the truth about what he said?

When will people (AU fans) ever learn to not believe everything you read or hear from ESPN? And not allow their biased reporting/journalism sway your opinion of a good coach/man like Bill Snyder.

Count me as one who knee-jerked at the original "headline" and was disappointed in Snyder's reaction. However, upon reading the actual quote: "He said, 'they're getting our signals,'" Ponder reported at halftime. "We've got to do a better job disguising them." ...yes, I now feel like he was just making a legit observation about AU's ability to decipher (in game) the signals and that he needed to make adjustments. I take back my disappointment. .... like Snyder gives a flip about what I think about him anyway... :-\

Good points.

Fantastic! 3 of our last 4 opponents accuse us of 'stealing their signals'. Of course what they really mean is, "Auburn broke our code." This tells me that there are those on Auburn's sidelines whose job it partially to break opponents' codes. And I think that's great. They're obviously doing a fine job of it.

Snyder explicitly did ***not*** accuse AU of "stealing" signals. I posted this over on the Scout forum yesterday:

<Begin pasted post>

Snyder has corrected the breathless reporting that Auburn was "stealing" signals. Sports reporters took a single statement and totally turned it into something other than what it was.

Anyway...article link and excerpt:

Auburn may have had "an awareness" of Kansas State's signals on the sideline Thursday, but Wildcats coach Bill Snyder refuses to call it "stealing."

ESPN sideline reporter Sam Ponder reported after halftime of the Tigers' 20-14 victory at Kansas State that Snyder said Auburn was "getting our signals." Snyder clarified his comments Monday, adding he never referred to the act as stealing.

"They had an awareness -- or may have -- that was my indication," Snyder said Monday on the Big 12 coaches conference call. "They may have had awareness to what some of our signals were and confidently we had the ability to change them. That's extremely common in athletics. That's just part of the game. It is not 'stealing.' That's the way of the game, coached and conducted."

More at the link...

<*End pasted post*>

Kudos to Snyder. And a big ol' raspberry for all the sports media talking heads/reporters who took what he actually said and turned it into something that it wasn't.

Cleaned up the detour about forum rules. Didn't mean to bring the issue back up when stoic had asked us all to get back on topic.

As was stated earlier, if you have questions or concerns about what is or isn't allowed on a given forum you can PM a mod or admin about it. Sidetracking a thread to complain about it is not the way to handle it. Thank you. Back to our original topic...

I still don't buy any of it. It's not like KSU was varied in their offensive playcalling. Watching it on TV, I knew what they were running before they ran it, and I am hardly a defensive guru. It's more likely that they simply were outmatched, and didnt have an answer for it. I'm glad that Snyder "cleared it up", or essentially said the BSPN reports were exaggerating what he said, but you aren't going to tell me that in the second half when we DIDNT know their playcalls, we held them to less yards than when we did. How stupid is that? It's more likely that they were simply an easy offense to figure out because their QB could not run on AU at all.

Doesn't really matter at this point if he was taken out of context, or if the intent is clarified. What matters is that people will remember what they want to remember and if "stealing" signs is brought up again in the same breath as Auburn, all anyone will know is that we do, in fact, cheat by stealing signs.

Journalists know exactly what they are doing and they accomplished their mission.

Doesn't really matter at this point if he was taken out of context, or if the intent is clarified. What matters is that people will remember what they want to remember and if "stealing" signs is brought up again in the same breath as Auburn, all anyone will know is that we do, in fact, cheat by stealing signs.

Journalists know exactly what they are doing and they accomplished their mission.

Exactly, you will not see this reply from K. St.'s coach on ESPN anywhere. Nor will anyone apologize for their twisting the truth in to lies.

Exactly, you will not see this reply from K. St.'s coach on ESPN anywhere. Nor will anyone apologize for their twisting the truth in to lies.

For$give for$get receive$ .... their business model is sports entertainment, not broadcast news journalism a la Edward R. Murrow. It's Entertainment Sports Programming Network, where the N is not in news but Disney.

Sales people will talk privately about a competitor "stealing" their customers which implies illegal actions such a kickbacks and anticompetitive pricing. What they say in public and officially is that they are losing customers to a competitor. If they are really stealing, the lawyers need to get involved. If you're just losing, then better quality and pricing may be what is needed to keep and gain customers,

Same goes on in sports, but the sports writers like politicians are loose with the facts. If it were a business and a business news reporter reported or accuse a company of "stealing", then that company's attorney would be asking for a retraction.

The term "they ate our lunch", comes to mind.

This is why I was so skeptical about the headline initially; as I've said, I was the nerdy wideout trying to decipher the other team's offensive signals in high school, so I know first hand that it's nothing new...and Bill Snyder has forgotten more about football than I've ever known, so I knew he knows this too.

I've also had a glimpse into the world of "journalism", and this reeks of something being taken out of proportion specifically because it makes headlines and stirs controversy...particularly amongst fans who don't know how much of a joke it is to try to make this into a deal, big or otherwise. It's manipulation of the masses at its finest.

This is why I was so skeptical about the headline initially; as I've said, I was the nerdy wideout trying to decipher the other team's offensive signals in high school, so I know first hand that it's nothing new...and Bill Snyder has forgotten more about football than I've ever known, so I knew he knows this too.

I've also had a glimpse into the world of "journalism", and this reeks of something being taken out of proportion specifically because it makes headlines and stirs controversy...particularly amongst fans who don't know how much of a joke it is to try to make this into a deal, big or otherwise. It's manipulation of the masses at its finest.

Yep, real journalists are a dying breed.....these days everyone in the media has a "game plan" and priorities....and maybe that #1 priority is no more sinister appearing than self-promotion, ....BUT....you can pretty much bet that "getting the story straight" is far down the list below the reporter's intent to "get the story talked about on the internet".....and probably below most other priorities that used to be associated with good journalism.

Archived