Defensive Recruiting

Rednilla

We spent a fortune luring Garner away from UGa because he was a top DL coach and a great recruiter.

I'm still waiting :dunno:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We spent a fortune luring Garner away from UGa because he was a top DL coach and a great recruiter.

Actually, we spent several fortunes hiring coaches that were former recruiting coordinators. Three of them are on the defensive side. Still waiting there, too.

I'm still waiting :dunno:/>

Actually, we spent several fortunes hiring coaches that were former recruiting coordinators. Three of them are on the defensive side. Still waiting there, too.

I don't really think it's the recruiting part that is the problem. We definitely need some top notch players though and we should be getting them

Garner is the only former "recruiting coordinator" on the defensive side. Harbison was considered to be a good recruiter (Top 25 in 2010 by Rivals) but he was not a recruiting coordinator. The three former recruiting coordinators on the staff are Garner, Craig, and Horton.

Edit: Fountain was recruiting coordinator at Iowa State as well.

And Garner still is. If you can't see it, no one is going to convince you otherwise.

The coaches now need to focus all of their effort on defensive recruiting. We desperately need DJ Jones to be able to come in and play immediately. We also need to add Daron Payne or Beckner Jr to upgrade our talent. We need D'Walker or a DE that is going to put pressure on the QB. I think we need another LB and safety to upgrade our talent at both of those positions.

Don't worry bro, we've got that awesome 2016 class of DL coming in that should be able to turn this thing around by ~2018. Who cares if we don't sign a single impact DL this year?

Don't know if this is tongue in cheek or an actual "don't worry everything is fine" comment. I am very troubled by the downward direction of out defense and the inability to recruit our elite targets. The excuse that the coaches have been busy coaching and have not formed the deep relationships with recruits is a poor excuse. Sorry but recruiting is a major part of having a top program. I see all the comments about the lack of talent. If so it's another reason the coaches should have been focused on D recruits. Now if the real reason we are not doing well, especially when UAT and UGA are killing it, is because our coaches are not working as hard or worse are not as well thought of, then this is a real problem. Beckner for example. I read where he is a priority but RG is not going to visit until after the season.

And Garner still is. If you can't see it, no one is going to convince you otherwise.

Totally agree. Getting Garner was a great thing and still love the hire.

You may be right...but as I noted......I'm still waiting..... though perhaps someone can tell me what we are not seeing.

You may be right...but as I noted......I'm still waiting..... though perhaps someone can tell me what we are not seeing.

You may be on to something. I don't have a problem with Garner, but could it be that a lot of his reputation as a recruiter was due to the fact that he was recruiting for Georgia, which is a state loaded with defensive line talent. I liked at their recruiting classes from 2003 to 2012 (10 classes). Only 9 defensive linemen were from outside the state of Georgia; less than one a year. Now he had to deal with a different dynamic recruiting for us.

You may be on to something. I don't have a problem with Garner, but could it be that a lot of his reputation as a recruiter was due to the fact that he was recruiting for Georgia, which is a state loaded with defensive line talent. I liked at their recruiting classes from 2003 to 2012 (10 classes). Only 9 defensive linemen were from outside the state of Georgia; less than one a year. Now he had to deal with a different dynamic recruiting for us.

It had to do when he was with us, then Tenn before bing lured away to georgia. He always recruited the state of Georgia well.

Anyone heard anything about Bridges recently? Still remains committed officially, but I thought I saw something about him taking a visit to Ole Miss in the coming weeks. I've kind of lost track of his recruitment since he committed in February, but I hope he ends up signing with AU.

It had to do when he was with us, then Tenn before bing lured away to georgia. He always recruited the state of Georgia well.

Okay. I didn't know that.

An interesting comment from a bama recruit over the weekend....said he like the stability of their coaching staff....which is an excellent selling point.

AU probably has a reputation of changing defensive coaches and schemes every couple of years and I expect other schools are able to use that against us....and certainly will this year on the defensive side of the ball.

JMO but it is going to be difficult to bring in top defensive players with all the talk of cleaning house on the defensive coaching staff.

An interesting comment from a bama recruit over the weekend....said he like the stability of their coaching staff....which is an excellent selling point.

AU probably has a reputation of changing defensive coaches and schemes every couple of years and I expect other schools are able to use that against us....and certainly will this year on the defensive side of the ball.

JMO but it is going to be difficult to bring in top defensive players with all the talk of cleaning house on the defensive coaching staff.

Bama has had pretty decent turnover with coaches. But they don't do anything but run the style that Saban dictates. Aside from Kiffin, who broke the mold, but still gets his gameplan approved by Saban. Still the same football with different names. Changing schemes is a different story. Dropping back out if a 4-2-5 now would affect us.

Bama has had pretty decent turnover with coaches. But they don't do anything but run the style that Saban dictates. Aside from Kiffin, who broke the mold, but still gets his gameplan approved by Saban. Still the same football with different names. Changing schemes is a different story. Dropping back out if a 4-2-5 now would affect us.

I was talking defense....Smart and Saban a team for a while now. We can recruit on the offensive side of the ball ...but defense? Check with Mikey about LBs and DLs.. :)

I'm not so unhappy with the defensive coaches. I think we'll get a big boost from those 9 seniors in the playing rotation that aren't providing any leadership and little on-field performance going on their way. Fresh blood on the field next year may well be better for us than a coaching change.

I'm not so unhappy with the defensive coaches. I think we'll get a big boost from those 9 seniors in the playing rotation that aren't providing any leadership and little on-field performance going on their way. Fresh blood on the field next year may well be better for us than a coaching change.

Agree...JMO but AU's coaching merry-go-round the past few years can't be good for recruiting.

Im with Mikey on this one. I do not think it is the coaching so much as the lack of production from the line in the first place. EJ's scheme calls for pressure form the front 4. We have none. We can stop the run, but we give clean pockets for easy 3rd down passing. Losing both Lawson and Ford hurt this team more than I could have believed to start the season. Adams, Lawson, and Daniel all have a big role to take on next season with that line.

We agree. The players line up pretty much in the right spots, and too many times, should be in position to make a play. Should be, but don't.

you have to figure when Lawson gets the green light to return to the field this spring he will be chomping at the bits to get going, and hopefully, that will spur on the other players on D-Line.

you have to figure when Lawson gets the green light to return to the field this spring he will be chomping at the bits to get going, and hopefully, that will spur on the other players on D-Line.

And make them better if he reaks havok on opposing offenses. DL is a grouping where if one guy is a total bad arse it makes the rest appear better because the O has to put more guys blocking him or scheme away from him and into other players.

I wrote in another thread I'm disappointed in our misses in the northwest part of the state, E would you happen to know who evaluates this part of the state?

I wrote in another thread I'm disappointed in our misses in the northwest part of the state, E would you happen to know who evaluates this part of the state?

Northwest Alabama? There ain't much there in terms of SEC talent.

Northwest Alabama? There ain't much there in terms of SEC talent.

Beniquez Brown is the last decent recruit from Northwest Alabama. Liner and Calloway were also from there, HA

Archived