Defensive Recruiting

Rednilla

Nobody's been harder on ole Ellis than me but I totally disagree with the position he was not a recruiter. He's historically and recently been a terrific recruiter, both in heading up plans for the types & athletes his staff goes after and in landing his share of talent they target. He's a dumpster fire of a coach and coodinator of other coaches (i.e. he misuses what he recruits) however. Just IMHO.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody's been harder on ole Ellis than me but I totally disagree with the position he was not a recruiter. He's historically and recently been a terrific recruiter, both in heading up plans for the types & athletes his staff goes after and in landing his share of talent they target. He's a dumpster fire of a coach and coodinator of other coaches (i.e. he misuses what he recruits) however. Just IMHO.

The commits in this class who have been interviewed since he was fired said he was not a recruiting factor for them. While they all know him none of them have a real relationship with him as a recruiter.

You'd also have to think Muschamp would bring some talent with him right?

He doesn't have a ton of commits.

Did not realize the lack of commits Florida had this year. My bad! I'm sure we'd make a push for Cece and Cowart though right?

UF had only 9 commits I believe and even those were solid to UF

You'd also have to think Muschamp would bring some talent with him right?

He doesn't have a ton of commits.

Did not realize the lack of commits Florida had this year. My bad! I'm sure we'd make a push for Cece and Cowart though right?

UF had only 9 commits I believe and even those were solid to UF

I hadn't been paying attention, but Florida's recruiting is a mess. I expected it to be bad, and I'm sure they've got some people waiting to see who's hired, but right now it's a train wreck. I hope there are some non-commits who're waiting to see where CWM lands.

In two years with Ellis on staff, I can only find one player that he was lead recruiter on.

Darrell Williams..

On the plus side (at least for me), if we change base alignments for the defense (which seems likely), we can move Ruffin back to the secondary and stop dicking around with him at Star. He was recruited as a CB. We have massive needs at both Safety and CB. If he's not a natural cover guy (and frankly we don't know one way or the other because he was moved so quickly with Therezie's eligibility issue), play him at Safety. He's not a hybrid LB though. Enough of that. With the physicality he showed, at minimum, he can help as our Nickelback.

On the plus side (at least for me), if we change base alignments for the defense (which seems likely), we can move Ruffin back to the secondary and stop dicking around with him at Star. He was recruited as a CB. We have massive needs at both Safety and CB. If he's not a natural cover guy (and frankly we don't know one way or the other because he was moved so quickly with Therezie's eligibility issue), play him at Safety. He's not a hybrid LB though. Enough of that. With the physicality he showed, at minimum, he can help as our Nickelback.

Stars are coached by the safeties coach so technically Ruffin is already in the secondary.

I agree. Really have done a couple of guys (Hosely) an injustice so far. Play them where they know. It doesn't make sense to constantly ask 3 or 4 guys to sacrifice for the team

E, that's wonderful and all, but under the current system, he's not helping at Safety or CB.

Holsey is a mystery. He looked really good at CB early. Then, he looked solid at Safety. Then, the injury happened, and outside of one game this year, he wasn't very good. I think we expected him to be a band-aid; instead, he floated in and out of the lineup. He needs a single home next year, but I'm just not sure where he is physically. If this year is as good as it gets, I don't expect him to be a major figure in the secondary next year.

For my money, the biggest question mark on the defensive side of the ball is CB. Barring injury, Matthews will start, and with reasonable progress this off-season, Ford starts beside him. Jonathan Jones got a lot better over the course of this season. I assume he'll start. That leaves one massive hole at CB, not clue on the Nickel, and no reliable backups at Safety. Hopefully, Bessent, Roberts, and Ruffin can plug some of those spots. Hopefully, Holsey gets more fluid and explosive the further he gets from knee surgery. Hopefully, Moncrief figures out the scheme and starts playing physical. Lots of hopefully's in there, but very few answers.

If Boom does come back to Auburn I'm not worried about recruiting at all. There may be some changes in our Defensive targets and even our commits but he is the man. I trust his evaluations more than any of the current coaches.

If Boom does come back to Auburn I'm not worried about recruiting at all. There may be some changes in our Defensive targets and even our commits but he is the man. I trust his evaluations more than any of the current coaches.

Unless he's going to work miracles in roughly two months, defensive recruiting in this class is, indeed, something to worry about. The few defensive players we have committed are good prospects but the numbers are insufficient.

Unless he's going to work miracles in roughly two months, defensive recruiting in this class is, indeed, something to worry about. The few defensive players we have committed are good prospects but the numbers are insufficient.

Pretty much. I think the only hope we have is that some recruits follow him here. He may be a able to pick up a few, but getting any of the big dogs to come in that short a time is a long shot. If he is hired though, next year's recruiting cycle should be fun to watch.

The 4-2-5 is almost certainly gone...so seems that just about all positions will be up for grabs next year and some of the guys trying to play out of their comfort zones will be back competing for their normal positions.

Not sure what that means for depth but we will be losing enough seniors that the starting defensive backfield will likely have a very different look for 2015.

Archived