Defensive Recruiting

Rednilla

http://auburn.247spo...chance-31370214

What's the scoop on this kid, E?

Not sure. He seems interested in AU but 1 site says there's no chance. If he does OV like he wants to then we will know there is some real consideration.

welp, I reckon if it is meant to happen it will happen!!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you pointed out his stubbornness because he ain't gonna let you get the last say. Whether you are right or wrong...

As soon as he's right he can have the last word. His being right ain't happened yet. :)

I'm glad you pointed out his stubbornness because he ain't gonna let you get the last say. Whether you are right or wrong...

As soon as he's right he can have the last word. His being right ain't happened yet. :)

I don't know about all that. I do know I need to get you wired up on receivers since you are the master of getting threads started. I thought the all linebacker thread would be good enough for you.

Recruiting LBs hasn't been that big of a problem. We have 2 5 star LBs on our roster plus some highly rated 4 stars. We have been beaten by UAT on a couple of recruits that we wanted, but that doesn't mean we lack the talent to have good LBs

Yes it has and of the 9 LBs on roster only 3 are at a 4* or better per the composite: Tre (5*), Frosty (mid to upper 4*), and Cass (low 4*). the other 6 are upper mid to low 3*s. Even if the highlighted statement were true it creates a falicy because you can't say a position is not a problem just because the stars listed by the players' name. That can only be judged by performance on the field. As of right now we have no LBs on roster that have consistently played at a 4* level. Cass and Frosty have shown flashes and hopefully Frosty has turned the corner with his last great game. We have not had a LB play at a fairly consistent 4* level since Josh Bynes. Other than him you have to go back 8 or so years to find consistent 4* play from AU LBs. I am finally on board and agree with Mikey. We really need to upgrade our LB recruiting. While I'm not with Mikey on his yearly LB numbers (I'm probably 1 lower per year til we get consistent 4* SEC playing LBs), the talent level and potential per each LB must increase and do so dramatically.

I don't know about all that. I do know I need to get you wired up on receivers since you are the master of getting threads started. I thought the all linebacker thread would be good enough for you.

Dude! Check out who started this thread. It wasn't me.

I also think we should recruit more LB's.They can usually play other positions if they don't make it at LB.Some may grow into D ends with the speed to rush the QB and you can use them on special teams.

Recruiting LBs hasn't been that big of a problem. We have 2 5 star LBs on our roster plus some highly rated 4 stars. We have been beaten by UAT on a couple of recruits that we wanted, but that doesn't mean we lack the talent to have good LBs

Yes it has and of the 9 LBs on roster only 3 are at a 4* or better per the composite: Tre (5*), Frosty (mid to upper 4*), and Cass (low 4*). the other 6 are upper mid to low 3*s. Even if the highlighted statement were true it creates a falicy because you can't say a position is not a problem just because the stars listed by the players' name. That can only be judged by performance on the field. As of right now we have no LBs on roster that have consistently played at a 4* level. Cass and Frosty have shown flashes and hopefully Frosty has turned the corner with his last great game. We have not had a LB play at a fairly consistent 4* level since Josh Bynes. Other than him you have to go back 8 or so years to find consistent 4* play from AU LBs. I am finally on board and agree with Mikey. We really need to upgrade our LB recruiting. While I'm not with Mikey on his yearly LB numbers (I'm probably 1 lower per year til we get consistent 4* SEC playing LBs), the talent level and potential per each LB must increase and do so dramatically.

I totally agree. But really what is the issue as far as recruiting is concerned? Being burned, coaching change, lack of emphasis, on the field play all factor in.

As soon as he's right he can have the last word. His being right ain't happened yet. :)/>

Dude! Check out who started this thread. It wasn't me.

check out the OP and tell me why it was started. Maybe I should have clarified by saying you know how to indirectly start a thread. Ha

In the 4-2-5, I disagree with Mikey about the quantity of guys we need to sign, but my primary disagreement with him at the moment regards the play of the current LBs. I watched Bama play twice this year. I've seen LSU play twice this year. Given his performance this season, Kris Frost would start for either of those teams. I'd take his performance, and his newfound disruptive abilities, over Reggie Ragland in a heartbeat. Even if you wanted to more him inside, he's been better this year than DePreist (at least yesterday) or Dickson. Cass has been very good as well.

We don't have depth. If either of those guys gets injured, we're f'd, but those two are the best LBs we've started since 2006. They're better than Bynes and Stevens were. Auburn people loved those dudes because they bled for Auburn in the good and bad times, and they learned on the job and progressed over four years (all four of those years played out on the field because we didn't have options). They were never great LBs though. Both Frost and McKinzy have more NFL potential than Bynes. Our first two guys are good. The guys behind them... not so good.

Kris Frost would start for either of those teams.

Against spread offenses maybe. Against physical, in the box teams, not so much. See 0 tackles versus Arky.
They're better than Bynes.
No where near as consistent to this point as Bynes was.
Both Frost and McKinzy have more NFL potential than Bynes.
Agreed but that and a buck fifty will get you a soda from the soda machine.

Well, that an a buck fifty will get me 5 or so years of NFL checks. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster/Josh-Bynes/646262a3-de75-43ef-ba98-3c8a081ab8dc

Bynes signed a tender offer for this season which paid him about $500K up front. Then he got cut. For the 2014-2015 season, he made about $500K to not play football. Um, I'd take that.

E, have you watched Reggie Ragland this year? Frost would start for Alabama against any offense. It's not close.

Sorry fro keeping this on Bama for a second, but I was wondering if Foster is seeing any PT?

Backing up both ILB from what I've seen. He played a lot when DePriest was out, but he's seen less of the field since then. He's solidly second string. My take, he does a LOT well, but he looks unsure playing in space. I don't know if that's because he's had limited live reps so his head is swimming or if he's struggling to make plays in space.

E, have you watched Reggie Ragland this year? Frost would start for Alabama against any offense. It's not close.

Sorry fro keeping this on Bama for a second, but I was wondering if Foster is seeing any PT?

Yes. I think someone saw him at Chuck E Cheese and no one was in line ahead of him. No offense intended.

Well, that an a buck fifty will get me 5 or so years of NFL checks. http://www.baltimore...98-3c8a081ab8dc

No it won't. My anecdote was strictly on the word potential. Potential by itself gets you nothing. That potential has to be developed just like Bynes has developed it to some extent. There is no guarantee for anybody they will fulfill their potential no matter how high their ceiling is.

As bad as Frost was against Arky I doubt he would start for them against physical teams unless it was a choice based on experience. Reality is Frost is a much better player versus spread teams and it's always been that way and likely always will be.

I don't know if that's because he's had limited live reps so his head is swimming or if he's struggling to make plays in space.

Go back and read the articles on his performance at Auburn Highh versus JJ at Carver and you'll have your answer.

As bad as Frost was against Arky I doubt he would start for them against physical teams unless it was a choice based on experience. Reality is Frost is a much better player versus spread teams and it's always been that way and likely always will be.

And I'm not sure why you singled out Ragland anyway. He led the team with 8 tackles and Depreist 7 in them playing a big part in holding Florida to under 200 yards of total offense. And yes I know it was Florida's offense.

I'm singling him out because I've seen him play enough to know he wouldn't start for us and because they play the same position. If Frost ran in a 3-4, that would be his spot.

As for the potential thing, let me rephrase, both those guys look better as Juniors than Bynes or Stevens did at the start of their Senior seasons. They look like NFL-caliber draftees. World beating CJ Mosleys? No. But NFL LBs? Yes.

I'm singling him out because I've seen him play enough to know he wouldn't start for us and because they play the same position. If Frost ran in a 3-4, that would be his spot.

He made 8 tackles Saturday which is more than what Frost had done this year before the K State game. Is Ragland the level of his predacessor at Bama? No but I think you are over exaggerrating how bad you think he is too. I think you're using the heavy O & B lenses and that's ok. It's your perrogative to do so.

As for the potential thing, let me rephrase, both those guys look better as Juniors than Bynes or Stevens did at the start of their Senior seasons.
Agreed but I am not going to assume they will make the same dramatic leaps Bynes did his senior year in development.
They look like NFL-caliber draftees
Agree to disagree here. They definitely have the potential but neither one has done enough yet to make me think they are anything higher than late round at best as things stand today. Things may be starting to look good for Frosty since he is a space guy and the NFL is going more to space football.

I haven't seen any rebuttal to the logic and numbers and I provided in my last post. The best you could come up with was scores from last year's games. Factoring in the reality that last season was, indeed, last season, not to mention the first for any of our players in Johnson's system, that argument is losing steam pretty fast. THIS season, we've played one team that remains in the top 25 after the loss to us, and another that received votes in both polls (Arkansas would be 37th in the AP and 35th in the Coaches')...and those two combined for ten points in the second half.

Arkansas is 8th in the nation in rushing yards per game, averaging more than 320 per contest. This in spite of being held to 2 yards rushing in the second half of their first game...against Auburn. AU has given up just over a hundred, total, in the two games since then. Linebackers tend to have a say in how good the run defense is, even if they aren't always the ones making the tackles; thus, I would suggest we're in pretty good shape.

Now, I will submit that both Frost and (to a lesser degree) McKinzy were mediocre, in the truest sense of the word, last season, because they would make a great play, only to turn around and make a boneheaded one, with not a whole lot of in between. But guess what? This isn't last season. My argument was always that the ability was there, and it was developing, while you refused to believe it was possible...and apparently still do.

Kris had a bad game against Arkansas (seems I remember hearing he was playing hurt, but that could have been an internet rumor I saw..don't remember), but he's fairly obviously stepped up his play since then, and Cass has been pretty danged consistent throughout. And while I do think the other guys we have are capable of making plays, I would place them more or less in the same mediocre category that Kris and Cass were in last season...quite frankly, I suspect that the only ones who have it in them to step up and provide backups without the dropoff are the freshmen (including Toney). That isn't to say that the others aren't solid backups, just that there is a definite reason why they are not starting; I have great hope that both Tre and Cam will have something click for them at some point, allowing them to realize their full potential...the way it appears Cass and Kris are...because otherwise, an injury to either Frost or McKinzy could be devastating to the defense. Davis isn't one I expect to see have such development this year, primarily because of the loss of time to develop while recovering from that injury in HS (the one that kept him from being rated 4 stars), but I do believe he has that potential in the future.

Regardless, the point is that we have two guys who are, at the very least, worthy of being the starters, two or three more young guns who have the ability to take their game to that level, and a few seasoned vets who, while not on the same level as Frost and McKinzy, are there to provide experience (and even the occasional stand out play). Furthermore, we have two consensus four star recruits committed, and probably a pretty decent backup plan if Williams DOES decide to flip, as well. That would stack the depth charts pretty well, no?

E, what dramatic leap did Josh Bynes make his senior season? Seriously. He was the same dude as the year before. He played stiff against the run, was a liability against the pass, and made a few big plays by proper pre-snap alignment. Basically, he was a smart, tough player that got himself in the right spot and tackled guys in front of him. I love Josh, but he did nothing particularly well. Even his senior year. He didn't make a leap. Ever. He had 100+ tackles and 1 INT as a junior. He had 70+ tackles and 3 INTs as a senior. He was the same guy both years. Reliable. I'll say again, Frost and McKinzy are farther along than Bynes was, and he didn't make a leap.

E, what dramatic leap did Josh Bynes make his senior season? Seriously. He was the same dude as the year before. He played stiff against the run, was a liability against the pass, and made a few big plays by proper pre-snap alignment. Basically, he was a smart, tough player that got himself in the right spot and tackled guys in front of him. I love Josh, but he did nothing particularly well. Even his senior year. He didn't make a leap. Ever. He had 100+ tackles and 1 INT as a junior. He had 70+ tackles and 3 INTs as a senior. He was the same guy both years. Reliable. I'll say again, Frost and McKinzy are farther along than Bynes was, and he didn't make a leap.

Again we agree to disagree.You answered your question by listing Bynes attributes and the big money plays he made.He made his dramatic leap before his senior year. Frost nor Cass has not made those big money plays other than Frosty's horse collar of Johnny Football. Bynes was much more consistent in terms of the smart, rough sentence you posted than both Cass and Frost to this point. In fact the reason Frosty struggles against space teams is precisely him not being rough. He likes running around in space a lot more than hitting. That's just not me saying it either. Former AU LB Antarrious Williams feels the same way and his opinion is much more credible on that than mine. Do Cass and Frosty have high potential than Bynes? Yes. Will they develop enough to last as long or longer than Josh did in the NFL? Nobody has that answer.

Archived