Defensive Recruiting

Rednilla

Which 5star DT is Niebuhr expecting to visit Auburn on Saturday? Is he a 2015 recruit??

I think its Trenton Thompson. Not 100% though.

Just as an FYI, it appears that 2016 5* DT Rochester will be at the game this weekend too. This is great news as he came to AU last weekend as well and he says AU is the clear leader and he can see himself at AU.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no indication that Williams has ever cross-trained. He's a true freshman that's taken every snap at OLB. Swain is an exception. Mitchell never played last year outside goalline sets. He's playing exclusively MLB this year.

You are right that there is no indication Tre has cross trained at the college level. However, he was the starting MLB for 4 years at St. Paul's High School and was very comfortable in that setting making calls and adjustments. Tre is likely the future at MLB for AU. It will not be this year however.

Saying someone has cross-trained and saying a player and/or position is interchangeable are two different statements to me. Example, Avery Young started at RT, RG, and LG. He can play multiple spots, but those aren't interchangeable positions. They're all very distinct spots that he happens to be able to play. I don't think we have two ILB spots. I think we happen to have three LBs (Frost, McKinzy, and Swain) that can play inside or outside.

The highlighted is 1000% correct. As I said above about the rest, just because Tre is not an ILB this year due to it's very hard being a true frosh calling CEJ's signals and adjustments, don't rule him out being the Mike LB from next year on. Truth be told if Tre had the experience Frosty does at the college level he would be the ILB over Frosty because Tre's skill set is much better for the ILB than Frosty's.

Tre's future is probably MLB. I just meant, as it stands, he's exclusively an OLB for Auburn.

I'll be interested to see how the LB group shakes out in the future. Tre looks more explosive and leaner than I expected. If Deshaun Davis pans out, his build tends toward an inside LB, and according to what I've read (which is to say it could be 100% incorrect), Darrell Williams is a no-doubt inside LB. Plus, Javy Mitchell is playing MLB, and he's only a Sophomore. It's not clear whether he would be higher on the pecking order than Tre since Mitchell is playing MLB exclusively (and behind McKinzy/Swain). That means it's at least possible that Tre remains at OLB taking over for Frost when he graduates.

Tre's future is probably MLB. I just meant, as it stands, he's exclusively an OLB for Auburn.

I'll be interested to see how the LB group shakes out in the future. Tre looks more explosive and leaner than I expected. If Deshaun Davis pans out, his build tends toward an inside LB, and according to what I've read (which is to say it could be 100% incorrect), Darrell Williams is a no-doubt inside LB. Plus, Javy Mitchell is playing MLB, and he's only a Sophomore. It's not clear whether he would be higher on the pecking order than Tre since Mitchell is playing MLB exclusively (and behind McKinzy/Swain). That means it's at least possible that Tre remains at OLB taking over for Frost when he graduates.

Don't forget Frost and or Cass can go pro after this year. I incorrectly assumed they were gone after this year but it is a distinct possibility. If they were to both stay then I can easily see Tre being next man up at either spot. If the staff wants to Sub both I see Swain ILB and Tre the Will because Tre has the most OLB talent off the bench. Either way I don't think we see Frosty at MLB again since CEJ said the other day that even if Cass is out Frost stays at Will and Swain comes in.

As for the LBs in the current class McBryde seems to be much better suited for the Mike and Darrell at the Will.

I definitely don't think we'll see Frost at MLB. He's a perfect OLB. I don't think either Cass or Frost will go pro, but they could. Both guys are talented. They're just a long way off the radar at the moment.

Good to know about the commits. It's not the defining characteristic for where a guy will play (it's about skill-set), but eyeballing them, Williams looks like the bigger guy.

I definitely don't think we'll see Frost at MLB. He's a perfect OLB. I don't think either Cass or Frost will go pro, but they could. Both guys are talented. They're just a long way off the radar at the moment.

Good to know about the commits. It's not the defining characteristic for where a guy will play (it's about skill-set), but eyeballing them, Williams looks like the bigger guy.

Versus spread teams yes. Versus physical in a phone booth teams he still has work to do.

We should sign 4 or 5 LB's and 4 DL.

We definitely will not sign 5 LB's. I think it will be 3 Max, if we do not count the Star as a LB. We have several Star's committed now and 2 good LB's committed.

I think you typically like rangey, fast guys on the outside and thicker upper-body guys on the inside. To me Frost and Mitchell LOOK like outside backers and Swain and McKinzy look like inside backers. Tre will likely bulk into a fully inside guy, but who knows. Toney, D.Davis, Flowers, and Harding are all unknowns to me at this point. Flowers doesn't look like he will ever be a major contributor for us, the other 3 are still young. Not sure we need 3 ILB in this class.

To me, WR recruiting looks more important than LB (not star) recruiting in this class. The possibility Duke and Sammie may go pro, plus Denson still not a major contributor and most of our experienced WR being on the smaller side, I'd like to see us get a couple BIG WR in this class.

I think you typically like rangey, fast guys on the outside and thicker upper-body guys on the inside. To me Frost and Mitchell LOOK like outside backers and Swain and McKinzy look like inside backers. Tre will likely bulk into a fully inside guy, but who knows. Toney, D.Davis, Flowers, and Harding are all unknowns to me at this point. Flowers doesn't look like he will ever be a major contributor for us, the other 3 are still young. Not sure we need 3 ILB in this class.

To me, WR recruiting looks more important than LB (not star) recruiting in this class. The possibility Duke and Sammie may go pro, plus Denson still not a major contributor and most of our experienced WR being on the smaller side, I'd like to see us get a couple BIG WR in this class.

I hope Sammy decides to stay as he has been injured a lot so far this season. If he goes he will be counting on a great rookie predraft showing. He has the skills to be off the charts on speed, jumping and strength. His hands need to improve.

Well, come now, they both have better prospects than Darvin Adams or Robert Johnson, and they went pro. The draft is littered with guys who made bad decisions. They should stay, but I won't say there is no way they jump. Heck, Sammie should definitely stay, but he could go as well. You never know until a guy makes up his mind.

Sammie, Kris and Jonathan all needs another at Auburn. Their draft stock would go up if they stayed on the Plains.

Matt Miller already has Kris Frost as top ILb in the draft. Who knows

Sammie, Kris and Jonathan all needs another at Auburn. Their draft stock would go up if they stayed on the Plains.

Then as much as I love Kris and hope like heck he becomes a fantastic 'backer, the ILBs in next year's draft suck.

That evaluation was made entirely off of measurables, not by any evaluation of on-field performance.

That evaluation was made entirely off of measurables, not by any evaluation of on-field performance.

Link?

Link?

Common sense. If you want to read about Frost's zero tackles against Arkansas just check ITAT.

Link?

Common sense. If you want to read about Frost's zero tackles against Arkansas just check ITAT.

Wasn't being cheeky, just wondered where this evaluation was.

Obviously his way early predictions can change so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into it. He has Sammie going in the first round but not Duke so obviously there will be more changes. I am at work so I can't link the site on my phone but google Matt Miller and Kris Frost in the same search query and you will find it.

Obviously his way early predictions can change so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into it. He has Sammie going in the first round but not Duke so obviously there will be more changes. I am at work so I can't link the site on my phone but google Matt Miller and Kris Frost in the same search query and you will find it.

Thanks. I, too, was wondering how to find that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2214447-2015-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-quarter-season-predictions/page/33

Sammie Coates with the 18th pick and Kris Frost at 32.

"Kris Frost is what the NFL is moving to at inside linebacker. He's smooth, explosive, smart and versatile. He can play inside or outside linebacker, has the hips for coverage and has the shoulders for stopping the run. And with Arizona running a scheme that asks for versatility, Frost is the perfect fit."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2214447-2015-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-quarter-season-predictions/page/33

"Kris Frost is what the NFL is moving to at inside linebacker. He's smooth, explosive, smart and versatile. He can play inside or outside linebacker, has the hips for coverage and has the shoulders for stopping the run. And with Arizona running a scheme that asks for versatility, Frost is the perfect fit."

And scared to hit, not what they are looking for

It doesn't matter to me. If he goes first round... Great. If not, he may stay at Auburn.

http://bleacherrepor...ictions/page/33

Then how did he have 9 tackles against Kansas State if he is afraid to hit? Also the announcers said he was their MVP of the game even though Holsey won the SEC award that week.

Archived