Defensive Recruiting

Rednilla

Either way...Frosty has picked his game up this year. ..good for him and good for the team.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing how big MSU's defensive and offensive lines are, makes wish we had more guys that's 320 to 340+. Heck, even their linebackers are big.

After seeing how big MSU's defensive and offensive lines are, makes wish we had more guys that's 320 to 340+.

Heck, even their linebackers are big.

Funny thing is we could have had BenQ Brown if we wanted him. He's an in state kid.

McKinney is the only LB on that team that's bigger than our current LBs. Brown is smaller than Frost or McKinzy.

McKinney is the only LB on that team that's bigger than our current LBs. Brown is smaller than Frost or McKinzy.

I was not talking about BenQ's size. All I was saying is he's damn good and I wish we had signed him.

I can't quite remember his circumstances but wasn't he originally headed to $puat but had a booster/handler/guardian situation. I think UT heated up for him (Lane Kiffin year?) to finally wind up at MS St.

I thought we backed off him due to the shady recruiting situation.

I can't quite remember his circumstances but wasn't he originally headed to $puat but had a booster/handler/guardian situation. I think UT heated up for him (Lane Kiffin year?) to finally wind up at MS St.

I don't remember any of that with him but it's possible. I thought he was a guy the staff just did not have high on their board.

I have known Beniquez pretty well since he was in elementary school and I still see him once or twice in the summer. Nothing shady went down with him. He has a pretty good head on his shoulders. It is unfortunate he couldn't go to Auburn but he has taken everything in stride in Starkville.

I don't remember any of that with him but it's possible. I thought he was a guy the staff just did not have high on their board.

I don't believe we were looking at him as a LB, I think we were looking at him as a RB.

My 2016 predictions for 10/14/2014:

The DL class will be better than the 2012 class (Lawson, Adams & Daniel). We will sign Rochester, Davidson and one of Antwan Jackson/David Marshall @ DT.

This might be slightly off topic but what has happened to E. Daniel this year? He was highly recruited but I don't see much production from him this year.

I don't believe we were looking at him as a LB, I think we were looking at him as a RB.

It was at LB at the end. That much I do remember.

This might be slightly off topic but what has happened to E. Daniel this year? He was highly recruited but I don't see much production from him this year.

He's not a pass rushing DE that gets a lot of pub. He's a run stopping DE and is playing descent.

Don't forget about 4* DT Derrick Brown. Garner was in on him early.

Yes he keeps talking up AU but has yet to visit so he has to visit before we truly know where AU stands.

He's not a pass rushing DE that gets a lot of pub. He's a run stopping DE and is playing descent.

decent..

Personal take, Daniel is playing out of position for the benefit of the team. He's a quick DT more than a DE, but we have depth inside and a need outside. He was playing exclusively DT at the end of last season. He moved outside after Lawson's injury. He's got NFL potential, but it's going to be 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. He's more in the mold of Robert Nkemdiche and Chris Jones (both of them moved from DE in high school to primarily DT in college) than Carl Lawson. I bet he shifts back inside next year.

The DL class will be better than the 2012 class (Lawson, Adams & Daniel). We will sign Rochester, Davidson and one of Antwan Jackson/David Marshall @ DT.

Dixie, I hope this comes true. The 2012 class had and still has the ability to be one of our best ever.....if our kids could stay healthy. Our defense misses Lawson a lot.

Personal take, Daniel is playing out of position for the benefit of the team. He's a quick DT more than a DE, but we have depth inside and a need outside. He was playing exclusively DT at the end of last season. He moved outside after Lawson's injury. He's got NFL potential, but it's going to be 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. He's more in the mold of Robert Nkemdiche and Chris Jones (both of them moved from DE in high school to primarily DT in college) than Carl Lawson. I bet he shifts back inside next year.

Normally a strong side DE is more of a run D guy which is what ED is so he is not out of position. He would play there less though and more inside if we has a pass rush DE on pass plays. Unfortunately we don't so he sticks at SSDE a good bit. He will likely be moved inside next year though because Carl will likely be the WSDE and Lambert SSDE.

Dixie, I hope this comes true. The 2012 class had and still has the ability to be one of our best ever.....if our kids could stay healthy. Our defense misses Lawson a lot.

Y'all mean the 2013 class. As ratings stand now no combination of 3 of the above 2016 kids will be better than the 2013 group. That was a special group, two 5*s and a very high 4* for a composite average of .986 which is a 5* average. While the best 3 of the 2016 kids would be very good, none of them are composite 5*s and the best 3 would have an average of .969 which is a high 4* average. We would all take that all day every day but on paper that is not better than the big 3 DLs of the 2013 class as rankings stand now.

He's a 3-technique DT. He's not really an end. He can do it, but by the time he leaves, he'll look more like Gabe Wright than Davonte Lambert. Daniel should be inside. That's his best position. He's a DT playing DE because of team need.

He's a 3-technique DT. He's not really an end. He can do it, but by the time he leaves, he'll look more like Gabe Wright than Davonte Lambert. Daniel should be inside. That's his best position. He's a DT playing DE because of team need.

At 265 lbs ED is not big enough to consistently play or be considered a 3 tech DT right now. He is expected to grow into that role though. Just relaying what guys like Keith Niebuhr and former AU DE Brett Eddins say.

Suspiciously, he played that role in the vast majority of his snaps last season. I'm just relaying what's already happened. When we had options, he played inside. When we had need, he moved outside. Clearly, his current coaches see his best fit inside.

Archived