Defensive Recruiting

Rednilla

Suspiciously, he played that role in the vast majority of his snaps last season. I'm just relaying what's already happened. When we had options, he played inside. When we had need, he moved outside. Clearly, his current coaches see his best fit inside.

Last season we had Dee Ford and Carl Lawson to play DE, so Daniel got limited snaps on the inside because he didn't have the size to consistently play there. He certainly appears better suited to play DT in our defense, but knowing that we would be a little light on experienced talent at end after Lawson's injury, I'd bet that Rodney Garner told Ryan Russell that Elijah needed to be ready to play DE this season, even if it meant keeping him trimmed back some. He almost certainly WILL move back inside next year, but for now, he's doing quite well where he is.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suspiciously, he played that role in the vast majority of his snaps last season. I'm just relaying what's already happened. When we had options, he played inside. When we had need, he moved outside. Clearly, his current coaches see his best fit inside.

Last season we had Dee Ford and Carl Lawson to play DE, so Daniel got limited snaps on the inside because he didn't have the size to consistently play there. He certainly appears better suited to play DT in our defense, but knowing that we would be a little light on experienced talent at end after Lawson's injury, I'd bet that Tracy Rocker told Ryan Russell that Elijah needed to be ready to play DE this season, even if it meant keeping him trimmed back some. He almost certainly WILL move back inside next year, but for now, he's doing quite well where he is.

Why is a UGA coach talking to our strength coach about our DL? :dunno:;D

Last season we had Dee Ford and Carl Lawson to play DE, so Daniel got limited snaps on the inside because he didn't have the size to consistently play there. He certainly appears better suited to play DT in our defense, but knowing that we would be a little light on experienced talent at end after Lawson's injury, I'd bet that Tracy Rocker told Ryan Russell that Elijah needed to be ready to play DE this season, even if it meant keeping him trimmed back some. He almost certainly WILL move back inside next year, but for now, he's doing quite well where he is.

Tracy Rocker?

LOL, my apologies to Coach Garner...I constantly get the two names confused, but usually I catch myself.

Guest jojo1515

Is our defensive recruiting so terrible this year that a thread titled defensive recruiting doesn't have recruits to talk about anymore and has reverted to discussing current players?

Is our defensive recruiting so terrible this year that a thread titled defensive recruiting doesn't have recruits to talk about anymore and has reverted to discussing current players?

Excellent question! I'm afraid that right at this moment our defensive recruiting has dwindled to "Don't worry, the defensive recruiters have some tricks up their sleeves".

When someone starts a thread as expansive as "Defensive Recruiting" talk about current players will undoubtedly happen. Also there is not much going on with current targets on D. We have 3 to 5 spots left on that side of the ball. There has been no change with Cirrent targets like Holland (Florida likely leads), Maurice Swain (AU leads but not pushing for a commitment), D'Andre Walker (nobody still knows what that kid is gonna do), Payne (still a heavy Bama lean), and other than Swain, Payne, and Walker nobody still knows what Garner is working on for the DL in this class. Given there has been no change in a while tangents to current players are bound to happen. Also if there is news on defensive recruits it will much more likely be posted in the player threads instead of this thread.

Guest jojo1515

When someone starts a thread as expansive as "Defensive Recruiting" talk about current players will undoubtedly happen. Also there is not much going on with current targets on D. We have 3 to 5 spots left on that side of the ball. There has been no change with Cirrent targets like Holland (Florida likely leads), Maurice Swain (AU leads but not pushing for a commitment), D'Andre Walker (nobody still knows what that kid is gonna do), Payne (still a heavy Bama lean), and other than Swain, Payne, and Walker nobody still knows what Garner is working on for the DL in this class. Given there has been no change in a while tangents to current players are bound to happen. Also if there is news on defensive recruits it will much more likely be posted in the player threads instead of this thread.

So in short, yes? 3-5 spots and only 1 guy we lead for but we aren't serious about him enough to push for a commit...

Oh, and thanks for the detailed response :). />

No. I started the thread to bring a conversation that didn't belong in a different thread into its own. That conversation had to do with the players we have that will be returning next season (and beyond) as an adjunct to what we are looking for defensively on the recruiting trail.

The fact of the matter is that we have four consensus 4 star recruits and two borderline 4 star recruits already committed on the defensive side, with a few big time prospects we know the coaches have been recruiting hard still to decide, and three and a half months left for one of the best staff of recruiters in college football to put the finishing touches on their job of bringing in players.

Thus, despite Mikey's consistent sky-is-falling mentality with linebackers, and his inability to see beyond the defensive linemen whose eligibility will expire after this season to the 14 other big men we have listed at DE or DT (including 8 players who were consensus 4 stars or better when they signed), we are doing pretty danged well recruiting on the defensive side of the ball.

Quote:"we are doing pretty danged well recruiting on the defensive side of the ball."

Compared to who? Other than the one hit wonder that is MSU, I don't think we are doing very well compared to other national powers, or even would-be power Tennessee. UGA, UAT and so forth are a threat to lap us.

I'm with Mikey. Unless we shore up DT with some solid players capable of playing next year, we are in danger of a defensive slide. DT we will have Adams, Lawrence and Daniel as Jrs at 306, 285 and 263 lbs. Lambert will be the lone SR at 293 lbs. We have Russell at 285 lbs but he hasn't played yet so who knows how he performs. That isn't a big or deep line AT ALL, 5 players with a good chance Adams will leave after next season and Lambert graduates leaving us with 3 guys other than recruits from this coming and the next cycle.

At DE we'll have Lawson and President as JRs at 261 & 251 lbs along with 3 RFRs Williams, Thornton & Kenion at 251,225,& 225lbs. Also a good chance Lawson goes pro after that season. Again, 5 players.

Personally, this looks like our biggest need with the way CRG likes to sub DL, one or two injuries and we are in a bad spot.

You guys really don't think we've recruited well on the defensive side of the ball in the last two and half years?

Assuming we sign everyone currently committed and no one else (we'll sign more but let's assume), this would be our defensive signing group:

Lawson*, Adams*, T. Williams* - 5-star guys (per rivals)

Bessent*, Bradley, Bridges*, Colbert*, Daniel*, Ford*, Lambert*, McBryde*, Moncrief*, Roberts*, Ruffin*, Russell*, Thornton*, A. Williams*, D. Williams* - 4-star

Alexander*, Atkinson*, Davis*, Flowers, Harding*, Johnson*, Kennion*, King, Melton*, Sullivan*, Turner*, Westry* - 3-star

Boston*, Lawrence* - 2-star

I put a star by every player returning next year. Based on current/expected positions, that gives us:

4 true DEs (Lawson 5, Lambert 4, Thornton 4, and Kennion 3)

3 true DTs (Adams 5, Russell 4, Johnson 3)

3 swing DE/DTs (Daniel 4, A. Williams 4, Lawrence 2)

5 true LBs (T. Williams 5, McBryde 4, D. Williams 4, Davis 3, Harding 3)

6 swing Star/Safeties (Colbert 4, Ruffin 4, Alexander 3, Atkinson 3, Sullivan 3, Boston 2)

3 true Safeties (Ford 4, Moncrief 4, Roberts 4)

5 true CBs (Bessent 4, Bridges 4, Melton 3, Turner 3, Westry 3)

That doesn't live up to Bama, but to say it lags behind Tennessee over the same stretch? C'mon now. That doesn't take into account anyone that signed before Malzahn came that will still be here (President, McKinzy, Frost, Swain, Holsey, Jones, etc.).

3 swing DE/DTs (Daniel 4, A. Williams 4, Lawrence 2)

Lwrence in not a swing DE/DT. He's a pure DT by all accounts.

He's lined up outside this season already, and he's gotten very limited reps. I think he's 100% moving inside next year. I was just basing it on what I've seen so far. I think Daniel is 100% moving inside next year as well. I suspect our DT rotation next year will include: Adams, Daniel, Lawrence, Russell, and Swain (I think he'll get one of our last spots in this class... just a guess). That's a pretty good group, and it includes a mix of older and younger players (Lawrence will be a Senior, yes?). Andrew Williams could be a factor inside as well, but that probably depends on whether he's ahead of Thornton and Kennion. Lawson, Lambert, and President are locks on the edge.

That was a long way of saying, I think you're right. Lawrence is going to play DT full-time next season and will likely factor into the rotation.

He's lined up outside this season already

According to the participation reports I have seen he has had 17 snaps and all were at DT.

(Lawrence will be a Senior, yes?)

No. He'll be a Junior. He's a RS Soph now.

Quote:"we are doing pretty danged well recruiting on the defensive side of the ball."

Compared to who? Other than the one hit wonder that is MSU, I don't think we are doing very well compared to other national powers, or even would-be power Tennessee. UGA, UAT and so forth are a threat to lap us.

Why does it have to be a comparison with anyone? The name of the game is meeting needs, not winning mythical recruiting national championships. Just because we aren't stockpiling blue chip prospects at every single position (yet) doesn't mean we aren't getting our needs taken care of.

I'm with Mikey. Unless we shore up DT with some solid players capable of playing next year, we are in danger of a defensive slide. DT we will have Adams, Lawrence and Daniel as Jrs at 306, 285 and 263 lbs. Lambert will be the lone SR at 293 lbs. We have Russell at 285 lbs but he hasn't played yet so who knows how he performs. That isn't a big or deep line AT ALL, 5 players with a good chance Adams will leave after next season and Lambert graduates leaving us with 3 guys other than recruits from this coming and the next cycle.

At DE we'll have Lawson and President as JRs at 261 & 251 lbs along with 3 RFRs Williams, Thornton & Kenion at 251,225,& 225lbs. Also a good chance Lawson goes pro after that season. Again, 5 players.

Personally, this looks like our biggest need with the way CRG likes to sub DL, one or two injuries and we are in a bad spot.

Lawson will be a sophomore next year unless he is able to make it back and play toward the end of this season. Harrell will be a senior, too, and while he isn't likely to have a breakout campaign, it's not as if he can't provide depth. And I'm pretty sure one or two of the freshmen have been getting some action on the field, so there will be some experience in the younger group, as well.

As for all the weights you listed, do you REALLY think that they can't bulk up in the offseason if needs be?

No, this isn't the NCAA Football video game where you can stockpile top recruits simply by knowing your way around the game, but we have four freshmen D-linemen (three of whom were rated 4 stars) and five sophomore D-linemen (including two consensus 5 star guys, one borderline 5 star, and a borderline 4 star in Lawrence). So that's six players who were rated at least 4 stars by 247Composite and are either freshmen or sophomores and another who was a borderline 4 star out of JUCO. What more are you looking for?

Of course we need to sign at least a couple more defensive linemen, but again, we have three and a half months for one of the best recruiting staffs in college football to reel them in. And the one guy we already have a commitment from is rated 3 stars on 247Composite, but the pure 247 rating has him at a 4 star (not sure about the other services' ratings), so I'd call him a borderline 4 star as well. And he's even a DT.

And one reason Garner rotates so many guys is to get them experience, so that if a player goes down, there won't be too much drop off in overall production. When you rotate more than twice as many players as you have positions, you can withstand a little bit of attrition.

Tyler Nero's playing career is over. He's on medical scholarship.

Ah, I must have missed that along the way. That's too bad.

Lawson will be a sophomore next year unless he is able to make it back and play toward the end of this season. Harrell will be a senior, too, and while he isn't likely to have a breakout campaign, it's not as if he can't provide depth. And I'm pretty sure one or two of the freshmen have been getting some action on the field, so there will be some experience in the younger group, as well.

As for all the weights you listed, do you REALLY think that they can't bulk up in the offseason if needs be?

No, this isn't the NCAA Football video game where you can stockpile top recruits simply by knowing your way around the game, but we have four freshmen D-linemen (three of whom were rated 4 stars) and five sophomore D-linemen (including two consensus 5 star guys, one borderline 5 star, and a borderline 4 star in Lawrence). So that's six players who were rated at least 4 stars by 247Composite and are either freshmen or sophomores and another who was a borderline 4 star out of JUCO. What more are you looking for?

Of course we need to sign at least a couple more defensive linemen, but again, we have three and a half months for one of the best recruiting staffs in college football to reel them in. And the one guy we already have a commitment from is rated 3 stars on 247Composite, but the pure 247 rating has him at a 4 star (not sure about the other services' ratings), so I'd call him a borderline 4 star as well. And he's even a DT.

And one reason Rocker rotates so many guys is to get them experience, so that if a player goes down, there won't be too much drop off in overall production. When you rotate more than twice as many players as you have positions, you can withstand a little bit of attrition.

Call our Dline coach "Rocker" one more time and your banned Red, haha

Why does it have to be a comparison with anyone? The name of the game is meeting needs, not winning mythical recruiting national championships. Just because we aren't stockpiling blue chip prospects at every single position (yet) doesn't mean we aren't getting our needs taken care of.

Well, it kinda' has to be a comparison because, you know, we have to play against those people. The guys we sign have to line up against the guys they sign. So far, other than the JUCO CB Bridges, I'm having a hard time finding a defensive commit of ours that has multiple committable offers from our major competitors. UAT, UGA, LSU and the like haven't exactly been all over our defensive guys, a least to date. Maybe I missed one on the list, but I don't think so.

Mikey, is that you stirring up the pot? We will be fine next year.

Not as fine as we'll be if we can come up with at least five more top of the line defensive recruits.

Archived