***Auburn vs. La Tech Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

I am a big fan of both CAP and Corey. I love their story and you have to respect what they've been through to get here. They are 2 very good backs but as we watch the season unfold, we might have our 2 best RBs on the bench most of the game.

With the SEC games upon us, Gus might be faced with a decision to give Barber some more of CAP's touches and Roc some of Corey's touches much earlier in the game.

In the first 3 games it had seemed to me that we had been a tad slower to the hole than last year. Tonight's game just confirmed it. We need to be quicker to the hole and Barber and Roc were quicker doing that. It was noticeable when they were in there.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For whatever reason, Malzahn's offenses at AU seem to start slow. In 2010 with Cam it took a few games to get things rolling. Last year, the offense didn't really look that polished (against a meaningful opponent anyways) until Texas A&M which was game #7. We MAY have one more shot next week against LSU for them to be a little sluggish and still be okay, but after that they need to get it together and in a hurry.

I agree. I think Gus is like a chemist trying different formulas before he decides on the best ones for the ingredients he has available.

Offense wasn't any more effective with JJ in there. The line is still the issue.

JJ only had two possessions. I don't think there is enough body of work to say either way.

Point is, it's not like suddenly the offense came to life with him in there. People want this to be a simple fix like "put Roc in" or "give JJ a shot." The issue is that the O-line needs to gel and hit their assignments and blocking reads correctly. Period. If they do that, any QB/RB combo we put back there will tear it up.

The problem is the o-line, but the best our O has looked was the first half of the Arky game .

What's wrong with our offensive line? this marks the second game in a row that the OL is having trouble blocking for our RB's to run wild.

O-line and our kicking game? When and how does it get fixed?

Offense wasn't any more effective with JJ in there. The line is still the issue.

JJ only had two possessions. I don't think there is enough body of work to say either way.

Point is, it's not like suddenly the offense came to life with him in there. People want this to be a simple fix like "put Roc in" or "give JJ a shot." The issue is that the O-line needs to gel and hit their assignments and blocking reads correctly. Period. If they do that, any QB/RB combo we put back there will tear it up.

The problem is the o-line, but the best our O has looked was the first half of the Arky game .

Except that we couldn't run the ball then either. And Arky's defense isn't anything special.

The regression of the offensive line is puzzling to say the least. Started out looking as if they wouldn't miss much of a beat. After four games, what should be a strength is now a question mark.

The attritional losses of Prosch and Robinson were mentioned, but let's not forget the injury losses of Kozan and now possibly Miller.

Now I'm really worried about LSU coming to the Plains.

Watch their game. It's on now. You'll feel a little better (well,I do at this point).

Cap looks nailed to the ground. Grant isn't fooling anyone with the reverse end around to short side of the field. Missing Tre big time

It's not about Grant fooling anyone....its about the lead blockers and WRs making their blocks and keeping the other team's DBs out of our backfield. Would not matter who was carrying the ball today on the sweep....nobody was going to make any yards....I won't call names 'cause we all saw it all day long but the blocking was pathetic against a minor league team.

The common denominator is the OL. As Titan said...fix that and you it's gravy from there. The lack of perimeter blocking worries me too.

What's wrong with our offensive line? this marks the second game in a row that the OL is having trouble blocking for our RB's to run wild.

Kicking game? Matt Shiel I think.

O line? We just don't have the personnel to run the same run game as last year. They look good enough to keep the pocket open long enough to launch a pass though. That might clear enough space to open the run game a little.

Kicking game? Matt Shiel I think.

O line? We just don't have the personnel to run the same run game as last year. They look good enough to keep the pocket open long enough to launch a pass though. That might clear enough space to open the run game a little.

No point in showing any more of our playbook than was necessary to take away the Oklahoma comparison if that comes up later.

Jeremy Johnson needs A LOT more playing time. Nick is having all kinds of problems in the past 2 games.

397 yards passing, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception (which was the result of a deflected throw), as well as 151 yards rushing. I'd say he's doing alright...

Jeremy Johnson needs A LOT more playing time. Nick is having all kinds of problems in the past 2 games.

No. He's not. He threw 3 TDs with no INTs and ran for 108 yds averaging 8.1 per carry.

We need to throw more on early downs, I think we were too predictable in this game and started 2nd and 12 half the day. I know Marshall is an emotional subject for Auburn fans on the internet but I really think the best player on the team is sitting on the sidelines. I think the experiment with him was necessary last year but this year it just looks so different when that freak of nature wearing #6 is in there throwing darts right on the numbers. I'm not saying we can't win with Marshall but how long can we pretend that those two guys are even in the same category when it comes to arm talent. I think JJ would get guys out of the box where the sight of Marshall just brings them in. Marshall is a 58% passer, that sample size is plenty big enough now to determine that. He makes about 3 great throws a game and about 6 bad ones. I'm not so much anti Marshall as I am pro JJ, and I hate it that the best arm in the SEC is sitting on our bench every week.

We need to throw more on early downs, I think we were too predictable in this game and started 2nd and 12 half the day. I know Marshall is an emotional subject for Auburn fans on the internet but I really think the best player on the team is sitting on the sidelines. I think the experiment with him was necessary last year but this year it just looks so different when that freak of nature wearing #6 is in there throwing darts right on the numbers. I'm not saying we can't win with Marshall but how long can we pretend that those two guys are even in the same category when it comes to arm talent. I think JJ would get guys out of the box where the sight of Marshall just brings them in. Marshall is a 58% passer, that sample size is plenty big enough now to determine that. He makes about 3 great throws a game and about 6 bad ones. I'm not so much anti Marshall as I am pro JJ, and I hate it that the best arm in the SEC is sitting on our bench every week.

I think Gus wanted to take advantage of the opponent to force more work on the running game rather than just ignore the problem and throw.

397 yards passing, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception (which was the result of a deflected throw), as well as 151 yards rushing. I'd say he's doing alright...

Agreed, but in fairness, if you wanna mention that the int was because it was deflected, probably need to mention that at least two of those td's had nothing to do with Nick and everything to do with outstanding efforts by Duke and Quan.

Agreed, but in fairness, if you wanna mention that the int was because it was deflected, probably need to mention that at least two of those td's had nothing to do with Nick and everything to do with outstanding efforts by Duke and Quan.

That's their job....which if Sammie and RLouis understood, would make them more dangerous too......and of course let's not forget the dropped passes that have plagued the passing attack.

No he's not. Do you actually watch any games? 3 Touchdowns, ZERO interceptions... 105 Yards rushing today. While the offense struggled a bit the last two games running the ball (even though we had 257 today), changing the QB is NOT the answer no matter how many times you parrot the same thing. Just once I would love for you to offer something to justify the statement you make.

Archived