***Auburn vs. La Tech Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

Jeremy Johnson needs A LOT more playing time. Nick is having all kinds of problems in the past 2 games.

397 yards passing, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception (which was the result of a deflected throw), as well as 151 yards rushing. I'd say he's doing alright...

Agreed, but in fairness, if you wanna mention that the int was because it was deflected, probably need to mention that at least two of those td's had nothing to do with Nick and everything to do with outstanding efforts by Duke and Quan.

In fairness, the Quan TD had a lot to do with. First he kept the play alive when he had to scramble. Second he found the open receiver. Third he threw the ball on the run right to the receiver. Fourth, he threw a pass that would allow the receiver to make a play on the ball and that is exactly what Quan did. Without Nick's ability to use his feet to get out of trouble, that whole sequence doesn't even happen doesn't

The Duke 1 handed catch was actually a pass right on target but got tipped on the way. That's what threw the trajectory off to the right and it allowed Duke to make a great play.

It's quite obvious we have some armchair qb's on this board and they care more about criticizing a bcs championship game qb. Even if he makes a great play from getting sacked and throwing a td, something along the way they somehow say how he screwed that up to, smh

The over emotional group loves Marshall because we had success last year.

U weren't impressed with what Nick did last year? Smh

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy Johnson needs A LOT more playing time. Nick is having all kinds of problems in the past 2 games.

397 yards passing, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception (which was the result of a deflected throw), as well as 151 yards rushing. I'd say he's doing alright...

Agreed, but in fairness, if you wanna mention that the int was because it was deflected, probably need to mention that at least two of those td's had nothing to do with Nick and everything to do with outstanding efforts by Duke and Quan.

In fairness, the Quan TD had a lot to do with. First he kept the play alive when he had to scramble. Second he found the open receiver. Third he threw the ball on the run right to the receiver. Fourth, he threw a pass that would allow the receiver to make a play on the ball and that is exactly what Quan did. Without Nick's ability to use his feet to get out of trouble, that whole sequence doesn't even happen doesn't

The Duke 1 handed catch was actually a pass right on target but got tipped on the way. That's what threw the trajectory off to the right and it allowed Duke to make a great play.

It's quite obvious we have some armchair qb's on this board and they care more about criticizing a bcs championship game qb. Even if he makes a great play from getting sacked and throwing a td, something along the way they somehow say how he screwed that up to, smh

I'm more impressed with what JJ is doing this year. I don't care about last year. It's over.

Guest jojo1515

If Gus believes Nick gives us the best chance to win, well guess what Nick haters? it really doesn't matter what you all say now does it?

That is the most tired and pathetic excuse ever used on a message board (and I prefer Nick as qb). Weren't you the same one using this lame argument last week or was that someone else? Either way, this is a message board, and if people can't share their opinions, there is no need in having a message board as we would all just be posting the same things just agreeing with every move the coaches make no matter what. I don't know about you, but I won't go anywhere near a board that freaking boring. Move along.

I'm more impressed with what JJ is doing this year. I don't care about last year. It's over.

And stop shaking your head. You will sprain your neck

In fairness, the Quan TD had a lot to do with Nick's effort. First, he kept the play alive when he had to scramble. Second, he found the open receiver. Third, he threw the ball on the run and right to the receiver. Fourth, he threw a pass that would allow the receiver to make a play on the ball and that is exactly what Quan did. Without Nick's ability to use his feet to get out of trouble in the first place, that whole sequence doesn't even happen.

Right to the receiver? Quan was a foot behind the DB and he had to channel his inner Moss to jump over the DB for the ball...

Look, Nick threw the ball in the only place Quan could make the play, right to him but high. It was also the only place it could be thrown. He couldn't throw a lower trajectory because of the coverage in front and the rear boundary line of the endzone. You don't think Nick knows Quan's leaping ability and where to put the ball for Quan to take advantage of it ? You don't think they have worked that type of pass 100s of times ? Good play sequence by Nick, great play by Quan.

That's nuts.

I think it's great to have JJ get some snaps, but if the game is on the line, any sensible person - much less Gus - want's the ball in Marshall's hands. He's been there. More than once.

And stop shaking your head. You will sprain your neck

my neck would have been sprained a long time ago from all the whining about our qb situation from armchair coaches compared to the head coach

That's nuts.

I think it's great to have JJ get some snaps, but if the game is on the line, any sensible person - much less Gus - want's the ball in Marshall's hands. He's been there. More than once.

100% agree

Let's quit bickering... ENJOY THE WIN!!

WDE

If Gus believes Nick gives us the best chance to win, well guess what Nick haters? it really doesn't matter what you all say now does it?

That is the most tired and pathetic excuse ever used on a message board (and I prefer Nick as qb). Weren't you the same one using this lame argument last week or was that someone else? Either way, this is a message board, and if people can't share their opinions, there is no need in having a message board as we would all just be posting the same things just agreeing with every move the coaches make no matter what. I don't know about you, but I won't go anywhere near a board that freaking boring. Move along.

U move along! Truth hurts doesn't it?

Let Johnson get his praise now because everybody will be calling for white next year. Just the way it goes

We'll go pass heavy with Johnson and people will be missing the days of a dangerously mobile QB that is Marshall. White will come in on mop-up duty and have some good runs...then he becomes the most popular player on the team.

What is the competition percentage in the SEC? What about the NFL? I know Nick is not s prototypical q.v. and hid throwing motion leaves a lot to be desired but with the game on the line there is no one else in college football I would rather have other then Nick Marshall! If the o line gets it together all this chatter of how bad Nick is Will subside. The thing is that some people will find flat no matter who the qb is. As for me, I'm enjoying every moment because I still remember 2012

I understand the frustrations on here so Im not trying to minimize that but realistically Auburn has three wins of 45-21, 59-13 and 45-17 and a road win over a top 20 opponent in a tough environment on Thursday night. So my point is we have not seen Auburn really put it all together yet and they have three blowout wins and a good road win. Looking around the conference I see LSU struggling, Ole Miss struggling, A&M having a harder time with Arky than us, bama has had secondary issues and I still dont trust Sims as a big time QB, UGA is lucky to have escaped Tenny today and South Carolina and Missouri look average at best...Auburn doesnt have to be great every week, they just have to be better than the team they are playing that week. Its ok to have concerns and its ok to express them on a message board, but I think there are a lot of positives we are overlooking because of the expectation level we had coming in.

Offense wasn't any more effective with JJ in there. The line is still the issue.

Disagree totally!!

First three possessions under Marshall

1st Possession: 4 plays, 16 yards, punt

2nd Possession: 3 plays, 8 yards, punt

3rd Possession: 1 play, 5 yards, TD

Two Possessions under Johnson

1st Possession: 6 plays, 76 yards, TD

2nd Possession: 5 plays, 19 yards, 4th and 3: incomplete pass.

Marshall: 58.8 % pass completion rate

Johnson: 80% completion rate

There is no way you can look at these stats (not to mention the last possession for Johnson was to run out the clock) and not see who was more effective.

If you look at the Arkansas game, same type story. The offense has performed better and been more consistent under Johnson.

Johnson is definitely the more accurate passer and this seems to fit this Offensive unit better overall.

Marshall is the better runner and much more elusive, but the O-Line is not adept to the zone read this year. I think a large portion of this is due to the loss of Jay Prosch.

I can because I don't cherry pick the possessions to tilt the argument. You leave off the fact that Marshall threw two more TD passes and he ran for 108 yards (8.1 yds per carry)

Johnson is the better passer. That is not the same thing as saying the offensive is more effective overall. And the running game certainly isn't better with Johnson in there as evidenced by the Arkansas game and the fact that the holes didn't suddenly get better with JJ in there tonight.

I'm glad we have JJ and I'm excited about what he can do next year. But that's next year. I'm glad we have Marshall now and he's going to be the starting QB because he gives us the best chance to win.

Let Johnson get his praise now because everybody will be calling for white next year. Just the way it goes

We'll go pass heavy with Johnson and people will be missing the days of a dangerously mobile QB that is Marshall. White will come in on mop-up duty and have some good runs...then he becomes the most popular player on the team.

I do wish we had a "package" to get Jonathan Wallace in the game. He has that blue collar spunk about him.

I do wish we had a "package" to get Jonathan Wallace in the game. He has that blue collar spunk about him.

We do. It's called the "we're up by 40" package.

I hope I see that one a lot in the remaining weeks!!!

I hope I see that one a lot in the remaining weeks!!!

He has the field goal package.

The coaches review the film and they know what the problems are and who is playing well or making mistakes. What's concerning us is that the problems continue and we're about to hit the difficult part if our schedule. It doesn't appear that these problems are getting fixed and it doesn't appear that NM has dramatically improved his passing consistency. Hopefully it all clicks soon

Guest jojo1515

U move along! Truth hurts doesn't it?

I'm sorry, but what truth are you referring to? I said in my post that I prefer Nick as qb. The only other truth there is that this is a message board and we can either have opinions and discuss them or blindly agree with the coaches, thus making this board useless and boring. So tell me again, which truth hurts? And don't tell me something about Nick, I've already covered that twice now.

I understand the frustrations on here so Im not trying to minimize that but realistically Auburn has three wins of 45-21, 59-13 and 45-17 and a road win over a top 20 opponent in a tough environment on Thursday night. So my point is we have not seen Auburn really put it all together yet and they have three blowout wins and a good road win. Looking around the conference I see LSU struggling, Ole Miss struggling, A&M having a harder time with Arky than us, bama has had secondary issues and I still dont trust Sims as a big time QB, UGA is lucky to have escaped Tenny today and South Carolina and Missouri look average at best...Auburn doesnt have to be great every week, they just have to be better than the team they are playing that week. Its ok to have concerns and its ok to express them on a message board, but I think there are a lot of positives we are overlooking because of the expectation level we had coming in.

Solid post.

Even outside of the SEC, there is no truly dominating team on the national landscape.

Admittedly, the offense has not lived up to expectations, and there are some concerns in special teams, specifically FGAs and kickoff return coverage. However, I am overly stoked at how the defense has improved every game and become far more physical and opportunistic than we have seen in a while.

Well said

Archived