2015 3* QB Tyler Queen commits to AU!

RunInRed

Behind a record-setting performance by four-year starting quarterback Tyler Queen, North Cobb (7-3, 4-2 Region 4AAAAAA) got out to a quick start and never looked back.

It serves as momentum for the Warriors, who will head into the state playoffs as a No. 3 seed and travel to play Langston Hughes.

“We forced them to throw it some and get out of their element,” North Cobb coach Shane Queen said. “That’s what we were trying to do.”

Tyler Queen, the coach’s son and an Auburn commitment, opened the scoring with an 11-yard touchdown run and then threw a 21-yard pass to D.J. Render in the end zone, giving the Warriors a 14-0 first-quarter lead.

In the second quarter, Render scored on a 13-yard touchdown scamper that gave North Cobb a 21-0 lead at halftime.

Queen’s second touchdown strike — a 40-yarder to Render — upped the Warriors’ advantage to 28-0. It was the 86th touchdown pass of Queen’s career, breaking the county record previously held by former Lassiter star Hutson Mason, who is now the starting QB at Georgia.

“Tyler’s played with some great players, and he’s been healthy,” Shane Queen said of his son. “Coach (Tom) Clark has been his coach for four years, so there is consistency there.”

Kennesaw Mountain (4-6, 1-5) got on the scoreboard when A.J. Malone ran into the end zone from 71 yards away, making it a 28-6 game with 7:36 to go in the third quarter.

But North Cobb answered right back when Queen found Devin Granville with a 53-yard touchdown pass, putting the Warriors up 34-6. This time, Queen surpassed Mason in career passing yardage and moved into second place on the county’s all-time list behind another former Lassiter quarterback, Eddie Printz.

“It’s surreal knowing that you’re being talked about with one the SEC’s starting quarterbacks,” Queen said of being compared with Mason. “It’s humbling, and I couldn’t do it without guys making plays around me all four years.”

Queen ended the night with 322 yards through the air, completing 15 of 25 passes. Among the state’s all-time leaders, he’s now tied for fourth in touchdown passes (87) and seventh in passing yards (8,309). Printz threw for 8,743 yards before moving on to Missouri.

Malone ran for 125 yards to lead Kennesaw Mountain.

“I’m so proud of our seniors competing like they did all year,” Mustangs coach Andy Scott said. “I couldn’t be more proud of our kids.”

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 year starter. I wasn't aware of that. Saw a video of him from 2 years ago, and he looked like a gamer then. Dunno how he'll pan out at the next level, but the guy seems perfectly at ease on the football field.

Something to look forward to seeing at AU. War Eagle, Tyler We will have the Queen, King and Duke at Auburn and if Fournette had come we would have had the little princess too.

Archived