10 Observations vs Texas A&M

Dual-Threat Rigby

It sickens me that we lost this game, but I am not the least bit surprised. I should've picked Texas A&M in the TD Auburn bowl. I picked them in another pool knowing our defense was the worst in the nation. But I foolishly convinced myself that our offense would continue to click and bail the defense out. A part of me actually thought we would pull it out at the end and that's what I get for having any optimism in this team during that game. Whenever I have the slightest bit of optimism we turn it over. That is why I am so negative about this team. When I have negative thoughts we play well. When I have positive thoughts we play like fools.

What Gus should do, but won't:

• Nick, Reese, and CAP all should carry a ball with them for the entire weak. Take the ball away from them and they run stadiums.
  • Anyone that plays defense should have to wear a dress all week.
  • Everyone wears fake glasses as a message of focus.
  • Everyone runs stadiums, starting with Ellis Johnson.
  • Ellis Johnson gets fired after running stadiums as a message.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The defense stinks but has since 2009-under multiple coordinators and head coaches. It's not all on EJ but the buck stops there. It's getting really frustrating to think that we have to score every possession to win a game against a decent opponent.

^^This^^

They were starting a new QB and had the plainest of plain vanilla offenses last week. I think some folks forget who the coach on the other side of the field is.....no slouch and the QB was the #1 recruit in the nation by many sources. Only the clueless think that TAMU has no offense or that Sumlin does not know how to coach. JMO since this is a forum of opinions.

True I suppose but I was agreeing with the statement that we've been pretty bad on D for several years now and under multiple coordinators. I also strongly agree with him that it seems like we have to score on every possession to win these days. D gives the O very little wiggle room as a whole, not just this game.

Watching the LSU-UAT game and arguably two if the better defensive coaches. Gang tackling ball carrier, DBs positioning on oass plays, pressure at the line. Also see an active Kirby Smart coaching and instructing the players; an assistant mans the booth. Contrast to the way we are playing D. I have tremendous respect for CEJ and staff but at the end of the season we need to evaluate.

AUsome post and true statement. Can we hire one of their d-coordinators? I hate bama but they CAN play defense. And LSU, did we actually beat them? Because they are a coaches up team from that loss to us. That's how u know who can coach defense. And both play defense on another level

Watching the LSU-UAT game and arguably two if the better defensive coaches. Gang tackling ball carrier, DBs positioning on oass plays, pressure at the line. Also see an active Kirby Smart coaching and instructing the players; an assistant mans the booth. Contrast to the way we are playing D. I have tremendous respect for CEJ and staff but at the end of the season we need to evaluate.

What? No missed arm tackles? No hitting the runner forward for 4 more yards? Is that even legal? ;)

bust after bust after bust on the backend of the D. THAT'S what makes Freshman QB's eyes light up. Is it Cheese, Smith, Johnson? Don't know but there's issues in the secondary.

What no missed arm tackles? No hitting the runner forward for 4 more yards? Is that even legal? ;)

I have no defense. The defense rests.

WAR EAGLE!!! On to the next one.

I understand you are upset up but I think you are overreacting.

1. Texas A&M was not as bad as everyone thought they were.

2. Our defense is awful but that is not entirely EJ's fault. Players have to execute. Players have to make tackles. D line has to be more physical. Coaches do not suit up and coaches do not play one single snap. I blame the poor execution, for the most part, on the players, not the coaches.

3. Losing Duke in the first half is NOT why the offense was unable to pull this one out. See #2 above.

4. Agree.

The sun will still rise tomorrow. Calm down.

Texas A&M got shut out against Alabama and almost lost to ULM, shut up.

And obviously Sumlin worked on getting his team's issues fixed. They have improved with experience Walking through the SEC fire while getting burned made them grow up, along with superior coaching. Shut up.

Oh so those issues turned TAMU from being the worst team in the west to kicking around Auburn AT HOME? You really prepared to say we just didn't choke?

Where do you get that idea? aTm had issues....absolutely. But TALENT at QB is not one of them. They are all talented enough to play well and today they did. Sumlin gets a lot of credit. I am not so narrow-minded that I can't give them credit for playing a great game. Some of the reason for our loss is due to aTm. They took advantage of AU's mistakes just like any other good team does. Their struggles don't mean that they couldn't ever get better and figure out how to win. They may not be consistent yet but that's the danger of a team like that.

I don't think our guys were ready to play tonight either. They were sluggish the first half while ATM had swag and were dancing in the sideline like MSU. Our guys bought the hype and took ATM for granted. They finally woke from the nightmare but it was too late

It sickens me that we lost this game, but I am not the least bit surprised. I should've picked Texas A&M in the TD Auburn bowl. I picked them in another pool knowing our defense was the worst in the nation. But I foolishly convinced myself that our offense would continue to click and bail the defense out. A part of me actually thought we would pull it out at the end and that's what I get for having any optimism in this team during that game. Whenever I have the slightest bit of optimism we turn it over. That is why I am so negative about this team. When I have negative thoughts we play well. When I have positive thoughts we play like fools.

What Gus should do, but won't:

• Nick, Reese, and CAP all should carry a ball with them for the entire weak. Take the ball away from them and they run stadiums.
  • Anyone that plays defense should have to wear a dress all week.
  • Everyone wears fake glasses as a message of focus.
  • Everyone runs stadiums, starting with Ellis Johnson.
  • Ellis Johnson gets fired after running stadiums as a message.

someone recommend this man for GA on the defensive staff

To be a top caliber defense you need top talent. Out of our starting defense lineup, tell me who we have that will get drafted? Not sure we have any other than MA. Maybe a couple of late round draft picks but that is it. Just watch our players

Mckenzie, and maybe therezie.

Kris Frost

To be a top caliber defense you need top talent. Out of our starting defense lineup, tell me who we have that will get drafted? Not sure we have any other than MA. Maybe a couple of late round draft picks but that is it. Just watch our players

Mckenzie, and maybe therezie.

Kris Frost

Blackson

Did Sumnlin coach in the losses? I love you guys, but dang it, this is not good. Tubberville had a rogue game or three when we forgot how to play defense. Three years? Or more. We can be better. Everybody else is.

Tuberville was the last time we had what one would consider a "good" defense.

True, very odd that Auburn has not had at least a respectable defense since Tubs. It's like we're under a curse.

Wish Auburn could get it together on D.

agree. Our DBs are always 5 yrds off. Are our DBs so bad that they have to play 5 yards off the LOS? tackling was bad. lots of just throwing your body at the ball carrier.

Why can't people talk about obvious reasons that our 4 and 5 star players on defense are no

t translating that talent on the field? IT has to be the scheme, coaches, etc. There was a reason that Southern Miss went for 0-12. The October 20, 2012, Marshall game resulted in the most

points scored against USM at home since 1987 according to his wikipedia page. I just believe there are better coaches out there, that can do a better job with this talent. I don't look for any improvements until that change is made. I was never excited about that hire and he may well be Gus' Achilles heel going forward. IF we had a decent defense, nothing aimed at the players, we would be contending for the playoffs every year.

I don't think we have those guys in key positions. Especially on corner and safety.

This. Our talent is sub par in the secondary

Offense played ok. Marshall had a good game excluding the fumbles. The defense is terrible, has been terrible since 2009, and will be terrible until we get defensive coaches who can get top defensive recruits and develop them inti sec players.

Played ok? They almost saved our butts again.

Now is the time to bring home Tracy rocker, or Kevin green and hire one of them for d-coordinator

I'll take either. Not sure if Rocker would leave UGA though. Not like it is a better situation but not sure if he would leave.

Yet teams like Ole Miss and Miss St can field a defense? I don't buy the lack of talent theory when other teams clearly have lessor talent on defense can play much better than we do.

Would have been better off not to have all those miracles last year cause people forgot here we came from and had too high expectations this season. what happened to those that thought it would take two-three years to rebuild this program. guess some forgot. Yes, I am still happy with this team an pull for them every Saturday, win or lose.

If you don't think ole miss and state have top talent along the defensive lines and linebacker, you aren't paying attention. State has three or four that will go in the top three rounds, depending when they are draft eligible. Ole miss has two first rounders and a couple of second and third rounders. AU will be lucky to have a player drafted off the defense this year.

Archived