Ellis Johnson

Ed_

When EJ arrived at Southern Miss, he made the comment that Southern's best defensive player, Jamie Collins, would not even start on his defense at South Carolina. That makes no sense even though Collins played the same postion as 1st round draft pick Clowney.

Collins was drafted by New England and made the team as a backup to Hightower. Belichick immediately noticed the talent and re-arranged the defense to get Hightower and Collins on the field at the same time. Collins has 60+ tackles this year. That is what a good coach does, evaluate talent and get your best 11 guys on the field.

I dont see paw paw buttermilk doing anything creative with his version of the 4-2-5

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion our defense is not as much of a liability as the majority contends it is. As potent as our offense is the defense doesn’t have to be bamresque.

Auburn has two losses this year. In those two losses Auburn’s offense turned the ball over 7 times. Very few defenses in today’s world would be able to overcome that.

And throw in a blocked FG return for a td.

7 turnovers is 7 possessions we don’t have a scoring opportunity. Now some offenses may not have scored anyway on those 7 drives. But I would guess with Auburn’s offense that is at least 3 touchdowns and a field goal that didn’t happen. In addition the other guys are provided better opportunities to score.

Sure there are times they look hapless. But at other points in our games they've played good enough to win every one.

This is laughable, and unbelievable^^

I lost faith in Ellis after his defense gave up that last TD with just 13 seconds against F$U.

Yep, everybody knew where the ball was going. Except cej, all he had to do was have an outside linebacker give inside help against Benjamin,easy int.

In my opinion our defense is not as much of a liability as the majority contends it is. As potent as our offense is the defense doesn't have to be bamresque.

Auburn has two losses this year. In those two losses Auburn's offense turned the ball over 7 times. Very few defenses in today's world would be able to overcome that.

7 turnovers is 7 possessions we don't have a scoring opportunity. Now some offenses may not have scored anyway on those 7 drives. But I would guess with Auburn's offense that is at least 3 touchdowns and a field goal that didn't happen. In addition the other guys are provided better opportunities to score.

Sure there are times they look hapless. But at other points in our games they've played good enough to win every one.

What about it is unbelievable? Point out something? Come on. Refute one of those statements.

all he had to do was have an outside linebacker give inside help against Benjamin,easy int.

Easy INT? It was a jump ball thrown to a 6'5 receiver. Even if a LB is there, doesn't mean he's catching the ball over a much taller receiver with longer reach, better jumping ability, and much better ball skills in general.

Some people my be over looking the problem. The problem could be coach Harbison. I know Clempson fans were not happy with him when he left and were happy that he was gone. If there is one thing that has continually dissapointed me it's safety play.

In my opinion our defense is not as much of a liability as the majority contends it is. As potent as our offense is the defense doesn't have to be bamresque.

Auburn has two losses this year. In those two losses Auburn's offense turned the ball over 7 times. Very few defenses in today's world would be able to overcome that.

7 turnovers is 7 possessions we don't have a scoring opportunity. Now some offenses may not have scored anyway on those 7 drives. But I would guess with Auburn's offense that is at least 3 touchdowns and a field goal that didn't happen. In addition the other guys are provided better opportunities to score.

What about it is unbelievable? Point out something? Come on. Refute one of those statements.

It's almost a "given" that the team that loses the turnover stats...loses the game. Why is anyone surprised about that...or even trying to suggest otherwise?

Some people my be over looking the problem. The problem could be coach Harbison. I know Clempson fans were not happy with him when he left and were happy that he was gone. If there is one thing that has continually dissapointed me it's safety play.

No doubt the secondary has been the major problem. It would certainly help if the DL could get more push up front and cause some pressure without having to sell out with LBs and safeties. The only ones really playing winning football on the defense right now are the two starting linebackers.

all he had to do was have an outside linebacker give inside help against Benjamin,easy int.

Easy INT? It was a jump ball thrown to a 6'5 receiver. Even if a LB is there, doesn't mean he's catching the ball over a much taller receiver with longer reach, better jumping ability, and much better ball skills in general.

if I'm not mistaken, frost may be about 6'3. Really not much difference in height. I like my chances better than a guy at 5'9

This defense and ej that u are defending have given up over 1500yds in 3 games, 3!! Please try and defend that

It's almost a "given" that the team that loses the turnover stats...loses the game. Why is anyone surprised about that...or even trying to suggest otherwise?

So the fact of being in 14-0 hole doesn't count? Did u see how EASY the first score was? Or do u turn the tv when we are playing defense so u don't have to witness the truth about what's really going on?

Also, in our four losses over the past two years we gave up 35, 34, 38 and 38 points. We have already won two this year after giving up 35 and 31. The two late fumbles were very glaring in the last loss, but we never would have been in that position had a true freshman not taken our secondary to school in the first half with 4 TD passes behind a shuffled OL missing starters.

We are in a position where the offense knows it has to score every time they get the ball or we don't have a chance. That is a heck of a lot of pressure to put on those guys.

The fact is, without the stellar performance against LSU, it's not even a discussion of whether Ellis is fired but who replaces him. Time to go.

That stellar performance is looking less and less stellar by the minute. LSU has a pathetic offense this year. Their defense has improved since that game but with the exception of the big comeback against MSU, after the dogs had relaxed, they haven't done much of anything all year long on offense.

A few questions

1)Why can't we stop a slant or drag route to save our lives? (That's all A&M did, although I'm aware those routed work well against man coverage)

2)Mincy had a really good beginning of the year but since the Ole Miss game he has looked completely lost. Why?

3)why do we consistently give up 3rd and long? Never seen any other team struggle with this so heavily. It continues to negate out rare sacks and tfl's

4)We've improved on interceptions but how come we fail to force a fumble? We so rarely cause a fumble it's sad

5)serious football question. If it's 3rd and 2 why are our corners 10-15 yards off the receiver?

6)I refuse to believe we don't have the players to get a pass rush. Too much talent and experience on the d line to not be getting pressure

7)Why do we only send obvious blitzes? We never do a delayed blitz or hidden blitz. We let the offense know ahead of time that we're coming and it allows them to adjust accordingly

8)why do halfback dives go for 15 yards on us almost every time in the last 4 years? That play is designed for like 3 yards but we let teams gash us up the middle. If I remember right from my playing days we took pride as a defense in not allowing someone up the middle

A few questions

1)Why can't we stop a slant or drag route to save our lives? (That's all A&M did, although I'm aware those routed work well against man coverage)

2)Mincy had a really good beginning of the year but since the Ole Miss game he has looked completely lost. Why?

3)why do we consistently give up 3rd and long? Never seen any other team struggle with this so heavily. It continues to negate out rare sacks and tfl's

4)We've improved on interceptions but how come we fail to force a fumble? We so rarely cause a fumble it's sad

5)serious football question. If it's 3rd and 2 why are our corners 10-15 yards off the receiver?

6)I refuse to believe we don't have the players to get a pass rush. Too much talent and experience on the d line to not be getting pressure

7)Why do we only send obvious blitzes? We never do a delayed blitz or hidden blitz. We let the offense know ahead of time that we're coming and it allows them to adjust accordingly

8)why do halfback dives go for 15 yards on us almost every time in the last 4 years? That play is designed for like 3 yards but we let teams gash us up the middle. If I remember right from my playing days we took pride as a defense in not allowing someone up the middle

Very well said^^

So the fact of being in 14-0 hole doesn't count? Did u see how EASY the first score was? Or do u turn the tv when we are playing defense so u don't have to witness the truth about what's really going on?

Oh i watched the whole game, defensive struggles and all. And i did point out the defense is hapless at times. Did you choose to overlook that statement? OR do u just believe the defense is hapless throughout all games?

In 7 games this year Auburn has turned the ball over 2 times or less. In the other 2 the offense has turned it over 3+ times.

Oh i watched the whole game, defensive struggles and all. And i did point out the defense is hapless at times. Did you choose to overlook that statement? OR do u just believe the defense is hapless throughout all games?

In 7 games this year Auburn has turned the ball over 2 times or less. In the other 2 the offense has turned it over 3+ times.

Lol, since u obviously have a problem with the offense, which is incredible to me because the offense has saved us far more than defense. But I see u refused to defend why the defense under Johnson as dcoordinator, in the last 3 games given up over 1500yds. U choose what u want, see what u see, but EVERYBODY not on this board see how terrible this defense under Johnson has been. So miss players are having nightmares when they watch our defense, because they once played for him. I bet they don't miss him!

A few questions

9) What is up with the run up and bump the ball carrier tackling style? What happened to hit, wrap up and drive technique that I was taught and apparently uat, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss.State and FSU defenses were taught?

Lol, since u obviously have a problem with the offense, which is incredible to me because the offense has saved us far more than defense. But I see u refused to defend why the defense under Johnson as dcoordinator, in the last 3 games given up over 1500yds. U choose what u want, see what u see, but EVERYBODY not on this board see how terrible this defense under Johnson has been. So miss players are having nightmares when they watch our defense, because they once played for him. I bet they don't miss him!

I don't have a problem with the offense. It's just amusing to see the defense lambasted while the offense gets a free pass. What is even funnier is earlier in the year the defense was the toast of the town while the offense was criticized.

Yep. This defense offense thing can be spun many different ways.

How about this one for some sh!ts and giggles

The A&M offense, led by an 18 year old kid starting his first away game, torches our defense for 28 points in the first half. Yet the Auburn offense, led by a senior qb, playing at home against a sorrier defense than Auburn's, only manages 17 points in the first half. bamr dropped 45 first half points on this same defense. Auburn didn't reach that for the whole game. So where is the hue and cry over this poor offensive showing. One could say the Auburn offense performed as poorly in first half as the Auburn defense.

Thus another way to look at the A&M game.

Archived