Ellis Johnson

Ed_

Not trying to join the negative fray and not saying that I'm a fan of CEJ necessarily (but I certainly don't hate him) but just wondering out loud if it's not necessarily his schemes or game plans that are the problem but perhaps he's being undermined (NOT ON PURPOSE) by poor position coaching? Namely one or both DB coaches?

Seems to me that the pass-rush issue is probably more physical than mental (or coaching) and frankly I feel that Frost and McKinzy have been serviceable, if not really good, most of the time. However, the back end seems to be the part of the D that's been letting AU down the most the past 3-4 games. In my opinion, anyway...

I have heard both good and bad about a certain DB coach, including all of the innuendo lately regarding players' morale due to same... Could a simple change in a position coach or two help this D?

Maybe I'm off base, but just wondering "out loud" here...

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to join the negative fray and not saying that I'm a fan of CEJ necessarily (but I certainly don't hate him) but just wondering out loud if it's not necessarily his schemes or game plans that are the problem but perhaps he's being undermined (NOT ON PURPOSE) by poor position coaching? Namely one or both DB coaches?

Seems to me that the pass-rush issue is probably more physical than mental (or coaching) and frankly I feel that Frost and McKinzy have been serviceable, if not really good, most of the time. However, the back end seems to be the part of the D that's been letting AU down the most the past 3-4 games. In my opinion, anyway...

I have heard both good and bad about a certain DB coach, including all of the innuendo lately regarding players' morale due to same... Could a simple change in a position coach or two help this D?

Seems to me that the pass-rush issue is probably more physical than mental (or coaching) and frankly I feel that Frost and McKinzy have been serviceable, if not really good, most of the time. However, the back end seems to be the part of the D that's been letting AU down the most the past We need to run the 3-4 games. In my opinion, anyway...

There, I fixed it.

It's a scary thought that La-Monroe has a better defense then what Auburn has.

Most accurate thing you've ever said.

Funny thing is he has been getting blasted for long time now because he has questioned Ellis Johnson and his defense. And now it looks like it the "in thing to do".

Probably already been mentioned, but something to consider if not is the loss of Carl Lawson. I'm at a point where I think the loss of Dee Ford is the most glaring loss this team has had to deal with from last year to this year, rather than Jay Prosch. The lack of a pass rush without blitzing is killing us. I'm not sure it's "fair" to judge a coach on one bad year, especially when at the end of the day the defense has done a decent enough job of doing what it's supposed to (stop them from scoring points).

I will bite. I am in support of atleast keeping him until the end of the year. Letting anyone go now will not make things better but almost guarantee they stay the same. I remember the first 4 games or so people were saying the secondary was the most improved part of the team. Also for as bad as we have played on defense the second half adjustments are mind blowing so that alone says the guys coaching defense can make great adjustments. If the defense can shut people down in the second half then there is no reason they can not do it earlier in the game. So lets put some pressure on the players to do their jobs without having to have the coaches spell it out for them at the half. Also no one brings up how much the defense has been on the field since the Miss. State game. Also this great offense we are suppose to have has put the D in some bad situations with the turnovers. That is the best I can do in support of the defense.

Gus hired Ellis and i think he hand picked most of his staff or the two db coaches anyway they worked together long ago.

Guest jojo1515

Probably already been mentioned, but something to consider if not is the loss of Carl Lawson. I'm at a point where I think the loss of Dee Ford is the most glaring loss this team has had to deal with from last year to this year, rather than Jay Prosch. The lack of a pass rush without blitzing is killing us. I'm not sure it's "fair" to judge a coach on one bad year, especially when at the end of the day the defense has done a decent enough job of doing what it's supposed to (stop them from scoring points).

I guess if you consider giving up an average of 36 points a game over the last 3 stopping them from scoring points then you may be on to something :)/>

Don't disagree with the rest of your post, but they are definitely not stopping the other team from scoring anywhere near well enough (unless you only count the second half but it is a 60 minute game after all)

2014 is not the only bad year our defense has been awful with EJ, go back and check the games from 2013. We gave up big passing yards & big rushing yards after another. Do you remember all those points we give up? It's gotton worse this year.

2014 is not the only bad year our defense has been awful with EJ, go back and check the games from 2013. We gave up big passing yards & big rushing yards after another. Do you remember all those points we give up? It's gotton worse this year.

Yep, and if he stays it will be even worse next year

You're right, another year in the system with upgraded talent throughout along with the return of CL and another year Ford has to learn his position along with the arrival of TM from UGA and another year for Adams and Daniels to grow and...oh nevermind.

You're right, another year in the system with upgraded talent throughout along with the return of CL and another year Ford has to learn his position along with the arrival of TM from UGA and another year for Adams and Daniels to grow and...oh nevermind.

:laugh:

:laugh:

Bird with the word.

I know it's been said in other replies, but lets look at our potential starter defensive losses and their replacements for next year:

DE: Leaving: LaDarius Owens, Brandon King Replacements: Andrew Williams (RS), Carl Lawson (Med. RS)

DL: Leaving: Gabe Wright, Ben Bradley, Jeff Whitaker, Angelo Blackson Replacements: Montravius Adams, Dontavius Russell (RS), Devaroe Lawrence

MLB: N/A (Cass. possible, replaced by Anthony Swain or Kenny Flowers)

WLB: N/A (Kris Frost possible, replaced by Justin Garrett or Tre Williams)

STAR: Leaving: Robenson Therezie Replacements: Nick Ruffin, Justin Garrett, Mackenro Alexander (RS)

BCB: Leaving: Mincy Replacements: TJ Davis, Joseph Turner (RS)

FCB: Leaving: Trovon Reed Replacements: Kamryn Melton (RS), Kalvaraz Bessent (RS)

Boundary Safety: Leaving: N/A Replacements: Markell Boston (RS)

Free Safety: Leaving: Jermaine Whitehead Replacements: Tray Matthews (Transfer), Stephen Roberts, Joshua Holsey

I agree theoretically the d should be better but at the same time if not people will make up alot of excuses again

Yep and it never fails. Kind of the same ones defending chizik when his ship was sinking but all u heard was one more year and he will get it fixed.

It should have been better this year. I just keep hearing the same old excuses like last year from the same people

I have been as unhappy with the defense as anyone on this board. I even got so disgusted I started a thread about it, and I try not to be a negative person. I will say that on many occasions, we have people in position to make plays, and they don't. Two passes in the A&M game and the long pass in the FSU game in the last drive were even double teamed and the play was not made. The result of all three plays was a TD. I remember being told by a coach that all he could do was get me in position, the rest was up to me. Just a thought.

Guest jojo1515

While I agree with the sentiment BB, where is this upgraded talent throughout coming from? From what I've seen we are having one of the worst years in defensive recruiting I can remember in a long time. Carl Lawson is supposed to be back but that won't help a corner cover a 5 yard pass and keep it from becoming as 50 yarder with terrible angles and missed tackles. Outside of CL, the talent doesn't look to improve anywhere on D, only more experience. The question then becomes the question then becomes is more experience in this system a good thing or a ruining any possible chance any of these guys may have had at the NFL kind of thing. The way the D has regressed this year, something is going terribly wrong in the coaching department and things like that seem to work themselves out very rarely. It is easy to spot good coaching, even easier to spot bad coaching. Which have you seen lately?

So how is it that Ted Roof, Brian Van Gorder, and Ellis Johnson can all have decent to excellent resumés before and after their stint with Auburn but while at Auburn look like blithering idiots? 6 years and 3 coordinators and we still can't field a decent defense? We all bashed BVG but maybe he was on to something when he said we didn't have that great of defensive talent.

I think we're too quick to damn our defensive coordinators when we as fans only have a two-dimensional perspective.

BVG was frustrated while at AU. Everyone remembers the famous comment that lit up PM's face. Unlike many, I think the comment meant "we need to do better S&C- including supplements- and get more physical," not "CGC needs to be fired." BVG is a great coach. Didn't work out at AU. Chiz's team culture collapsed.

I vote to bring Boom back. The thing I fear is that, because Boom's style is to be a mean SOB, CGM will not want him on board. Same with JJ. JJ will determine Boom isn't good for the family brand, and we will be stuck again with a DC that lacks intensity.

Clearly the 5-2 isn't working. We need to cut the anchor line before the boat gets thrashed. (Gotta start recruiting more LBs pronto.) In my dream world, it's Boom back on the sidelines in time for the Capitol One Bowl.

I have the same dream only Tim Jackson, JJ, and Wayne Bolt go first. They should be long gone by now anyway.

Archived