Ellis Johnson

Ed_

So how is it that Ted Roof, Brian Van Gorder, and Ellis Johnson can all have decent to excellent resumés before and after their stint with Auburn but while at Auburn look like blithering idiots? 6 years and 3 coordinators and we still can't field a decent defense? We all bashed BVG but maybe he was on to something when he said we didn't have that great of defensive talent.

I think we're too quick to damn our defensive coordinators when we as fans only have a two-dimensional perspective.

BVG was frustrated while at AU. Everyone remembers the famous comment that lit up PM's face. Unlike many, I think the comment meant "we need to do better S&C- including supplements- and get more physical," not "CGC needs to be fired." BVG is a great coach. Didn't work out at AU. Chiz's team culture collapsed.

I vote to bring Boom back. The thing I fear is that, because Boom's style is to be a mean SOB, CGM will not want him on board. Same with JJ. JJ will determine Boom isn't good for the family brand, and we will be stuck again with a DC that lacks intensity.

Clearly the 5-2 isn't working. We need to cut the anchor line before the boat gets thrashed. (Gotta start recruiting more LBs pronto.) In my dream world, it's Boom back on the sidelines in time for the Capitol One Bowl.

I have the same dream only Tim Jackson, JJ, and Wayne Bolt go first. They should be long gone by now anyway.

Wayne Bolt is at Troy

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the x's and o's well enough to say what our problems are. All I know is changing coaches rarely fixes the problem immediately. What it usually means is we take a step back recruiting, and also in teaching the players a new guys ways. I'm not in favor of starting over again because the last time we did that, 2012 happened. What I want to see is better recruiting. We need better athletes on the defense. We need pass rushers and some lock down corners. Our Defensive tackles and ends are big, but they don't seem to be physical enough to get off blocks. Our DB's play too far off the receivers. Maybe they don't have the confidence to challenge anyone, just react. Maybe we just don't have the talent we need yet.

So how is it that Ted Roof, Brian Van Gorder, and Ellis Johnson can all have decent to excellent resumés before and after their stint with Auburn but while at Auburn look like blithering idiots? 6 years and 3 coordinators and we still can't field a decent defense? We all bashed BVG but maybe he was on to something when he said we didn't have that great of defensive talent.

I think we're too quick to damn our defensive coordinators when we as fans only have a two-dimensional perspective.

BVG was frustrated while at AU. Everyone remembers the famous comment that lit up PM's face. Unlike many, I think the comment meant "we need to do better S&C- including supplements- and get more physical," not "CGC needs to be fired." BVG is a great coach. Didn't work out at AU. Chiz's team culture collapsed.

I vote to bring Boom back. The thing I fear is that, because Boom's style is to be a mean SOB, CGM will not want him on board. Same with JJ. JJ will determine Boom isn't good for the family brand, and we will be stuck again with a DC that lacks intensity.

Clearly the 5-2 isn't working. We need to cut the anchor line before the boat gets thrashed. (Gotta start recruiting more LBs pronto.) In my dream world, it's Boom back on the sidelines in time for the Capitol One Bowl.

I have the same dream only Tim Jackson, JJ, and Wayne Bolt go first. They should be long gone by now anyway.

Wayne Bolt is at Troy

Last I heard I thought they just changed his title/position. Good to know but 2/3 still remain!

I don't understand the x's and o's well enough to say what our problems are. All I know is changing coaches rarely fixes the problem immediately. What it usually means is we take a step back recruiting, and also in teaching the players a new guys ways. I'm not in favor of starting over again because the last time we did that, 2012 happened. What I want to see is better recruiting. We need better athletes on the defense. We need pass rushers and some lock down corners. Our Defensive tackles and ends are big, but they don't seem to be physical enough to get off blocks. Our DB's play too far off the receivers. Maybe they don't have the confidence to challenge anyone, just react. Maybe we just don't have the talent we need yet.

I do think one or two position coach changes might be needed though.

It is hard to diagnose problems on tv because you can't see the field and don't know assignments if you could. I have been curious as to why the defense can adjust at halftime but not earlier. I've been aggravated with defense for years but don't know who to point the finger at. The only glaring deficiency is rush end.

It is hard to diagnose problems on tv because you can't see the field and don't know assignments if you could. I have been curious as to why the defense can adjust at halftime but not earlier. I've been aggravated with defense for years but don't know who to point the finger at. The only glaring deficiency is rush end.

Have you tried watching the ESPN SkyCam version of the game using the WatchESPN app? It allows you to see the entire play as it unfolds. On pass plays, it's frequently a painful experience. It's delayed, so you can watch the game live on TV and then see a sky view replay on your phone if you choose.

I wonder if any coaching is responsible for better second half D, or if it's just the players themselves adapting.

2nd half D is what has me so upset at the coaches. How can we shut people down so much better in the 2nd half and not make those adjustments on the sidelines during the 1st half? I mean in today's college football you might get 10 minutes of actual talk time with your group at half time. Surely you can do more than that during the 1st half when the O is on the field.

Have you tried watching the ESPN SKYVIEW version of the game using the WatchESPN app? It allows you to see the entire play as it unfolds. On pass plays, it's frequently a painful experience. It's delayed, so you can watch the game live on TV and then see a skyview replay on your phone if you choose.

I wonder if any coaching is responsible for better second half D, or if it's just the players themselves adapting.

i'll try it.

Have you tried watching the ESPN SKYVIEW version of the game using the WatchESPN app? It allows you to see the entire play as it unfolds. On pass plays, it's frequently a painful experience. It's delayed, so you can watch the game live on TV and then see a skyview replay on your phone if you choose.

Great.... Now my wife will divorce me for sure!!! Thanks for introducing me to something that will only consume more of my time.

Great.... Now my wife will divorce me for sure!!! Thanks for introducing me to something that will only consume more of my time.

You are welcome, sir. :big: (The Wifey will forgive you if you install heated tile in the kitchen and den.) You can check it out tonight during the Cal - USC game. Oh, I screwed up the name. It's Skycam.

We need The Hat to bolt for Michigan when they fire Hoke at the end of the season then pick up Chavis.

Chavis can't do s*** against high powered spread offenses.

You can say he consistent but so has this program, you cant deny however that he shut TAMU and the most electric QB to do it two years consecutively

I do wish we had a prick like Muschamp or Saban at DC, someone who's gonna really chew out the defense. There's just nothing really like that from our coaches, and they don't seem to say much on the sidelines other than put you in the doghouse. That yelling style of coaching actually does keep the players on the sideline more energized than just talking and leaving them.

I do wish we had a prick like Muschamp or Saban at DC, someone who's gonna really chew out the defense. There's just nothing really like that from our coaches, and they don't seem to say much on the sidelines other than put you in the doghouse. That yelling style of coaching actually does keep the players on the sideline more energized than just talking and leaving them.

Amen.

I do think, though, one of the main things I like about CGM is that he is a considerate person in a sea of a-hole coaches. I wonder if the 2 (a nice CGM and a hellfire DC) can coexist. If they could, we would have a 10 year dynasty.

I love a hellfire coach, guys like Bill Cowher/Boom was who I loved playing for ( when you make a good play they were the first there to congratulate and when you messed up they were there to make sure it didn't happen again). Let us just beg Kevin Greene to come to the games and chew kids A**es on the sideline throughout the game, that would be AUsome. On a side note, how the H*ll is he not in the HOF?

Seriously? How in the he'll do yall know our coaches don't chew on their asses? To make such blanket statements on things you obviously can't know the answer to diminishes the view you are trying to propose.

Amen.

I do think, though, one of the main things I like about CGM is that he is a considerate person in a sea of a-hole coaches. I wonder if the 2 (a nice CGM and a hellfire DC) can coexist. If they could, we would have a 10 year dynasty.

Yup^^^^^^^^^^^

Seriously? How in the he'll do yall know our coaches don't chew on their asses? To make such blanket statements on things you obviously can't know the answer to diminishes the view you are trying to propose.

i understand what you are saying but DURING the game azz chewings are what we want. You need that killer instinct on defense when it is on the line. Music and loud fans are just not enough imo.

That Player was being held accountable, why? Because the player didn't do what he was taught in practice by boom. Unlike our guys, It' seems kind of hard to get onto guys when they are not being shown

That Player was being held accountable, why? Because the player didn't do what he was taught in practice by boom. Unlike our guys, It' seems kind of hard to get onto guys when they are not being shown

Have you been watching the practices? If so, that might actually make for an interesting post

Because you have access to every practice right?

i understand what you are saying but DURING the game azz chewings are what we want. You need that killer instinct on defense when it is on the line. Music and loud fans are just not enough imo.

You need to get a long distance microphone and point it in the direction of Coach Garner during a game.

Because you have access to every practice right?

Nah, just instincts and expierience.Nobody looks that bad in a game if u practice certain situations on defense.

Archived