Ellis Johnson

Ed_

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does Ellis do up there in the sky box all night anyways? Hot dogs and a beer? Perhaps some tunes and a nice book? I dunno. :)/>

I'm thinking he's taking naps.

Can't complain too much about CEJ this week when we only put up 7 points

Yeah. Because while 7 represents the scoring Auburn's offensive was capable of against UGA's defense, 34 is just another number. :-\

Most of the night the players were in the right position. The calls EJ made were mostly right. The players didn't make the plays.

Most of the night the players were in the right position. The calls EJ made were mostly right. The players didn't make the plays.

Why is this???

I haven't changed my mind Ellis. True, the offense only scored 7, but his defense gave up 34. Gus MUST make coaching changes on offense and defense.

Why is this???

To me it looked like a lot players doing what they wanted rather than what was needed. Many time the ends would hold the edge and the corners would spill the pulling guard like they were supposed to , but there would not be a ILB scraping or a safety fitting like they were supposed to be. I don't know if it was good execution by UGA to pick them off or bad execution by the defense or a combination of both. Many times we would have the back dead to rights in the backfield , but we wouldn't fit correctly and they would slip out or we'd try to take on Gurley and Chubb high and bounce right off. There were also many times the playside would stop the run at the POA and the backside would not stay home and a cutback was created. Those type of things can not be on the coaching but rather the execution by the players.

Why is this???

To me it looked like a lot players doing what they wanted rather than what was needed. Many time the ends would hold the edge and the corners would spill the pulling guard like they were supposed to , but there would not be a ILB scraping or a safety fitting like they were supposed to be. I don't know if it was good execution by UGA to pick them off or bad execution by the defense or a combination of both. Many times we would have the back dead to rights in the backfield , but we wouldn't fit correctly and they would slip out or we'd try to take on Gurley and Chubb high and bounce right off. There were also many times the playside would stop the run at the POA and the backside would not stay home and a cutback was created. Those type of things can not be on the coaching but rather the execution by the players.

That has been a consistent problem all year. That begs the question of why players that are that bad at executing are not pulled in favor of someone else. If the player behind is just as bad then it's either recruiting or coaching.

That is what I am seeing. Doesn't matter if you double cover someone and don't knock the ball down.

I'm not sure, but its not scheme and its not playcalling.

Bird, remember last week when Nova said EJ gives them freedom from assignments and does not yell at them like VG. I thought D was about assignments.

I think the scheme and play calling is the easy part. It's the coaching and understanding of the drills during the week that is the critical part

Bird, remember last week when Nova said EJ gives them freedom from assignments and does not yell at them like VG. I thought D was about assignments.

I think the scheme and play calling is the easy part. It's the coaching and understanding of the drills during the week that is the critical part

At the same time, none of that screaming made a difference either.

Did you see our LBers?

They were out of position every play

At the same time, none of that screaming made a difference either.

I agree, thought CVG was a disaster. Just thought that was a telling statement with our lack of execution during a game. Also, that one pic when Chubb was coming through the line and Frost just wiffed was comical. We have so many issues on D, another is a lack of toughness IMO.

I think Nova meant, and I'm not sure, that ILBs have freedom to get to the ball how they can. Usually ILBs have at least two options when run fitting. Depending on what the guard does they can undercut the play by running the alley or they can scrape over the top and fit at the point of attack. A lot of the time, the playside backer will scrape and the backside will try and run the alley.

Did you see our LBers?

sure did and they weren't out of position at the snap, they put themselves out of position.

Did you see our LBers?

Not because they were not coached to be there. We have too many people doing their own thing out there.

No fight in our team, that's probably the most disappointing part

That's what killed me more than anything last night. It just looked like they quit.

Not sure the issue but does make one wonder if the 0-fer at Southern Miss was a red flag that we chose to overlook. Who knows but the product on the field is not good and EJ is the man overseeing that part of the team. Lots of blame to go around.

Archived