Ellis Johnson

Ed_

If they are coaching and teaching it right (and I think they are) on offense/defense/special teams and results look like they have the last few weeks then we got a real big problem with the soldiers on the field. If you are coaching and teaching your players the same as you did last year and the enthusiasm, excitement, energy level and the fire regresses then you have attitude problems from your players. Only Gus can fix that ~ you can't lose the whole damn team for the second time in 3 yrs because that means the players are in control of the team and not the coaches.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The mistakes we made are what really kept us from being able to lift us out of that hole," Johnson said. "It wasn't the physicality of it, or the nature of their performance, it was a lot of little mistakes, where you do those against great athletes, normally you're going to end up with a big play. To me, it's been sorta like trying to run in quicksand. We've been doing things as hard as we can do them and as well as we can do them."

"The mistakes we made are what really kept us from being able to lift us out of that hole," Johnson said. "It wasn't the physicality of it, or the nature of their performance, it was a lot of little mistakes, where you do those against great athletes, normally you're going to end up with a big play. To me, it's been sorta like trying to run in quicksand. We've been doing things as hard as we can do them and as well as we can do them."

Then we're Kentucky, and should realign our priorities as such.

When he was first hired, I thought it was a great hire. However, he has yet to have any level of consistency with our defense. I now think that he should be fired at season's end...except if he has this defense playing light's out the next 3 games. If this happens, maybe...maybe should be given another year.

However, to win in bammerluska, we will have to outscore them. This can happen no doubt. I do think we will be looking for a new DC come season's end. I would like to see a list of 10 potential DCs out there that would be an excellent hire. I do not keep up with stats like many of you do out there, so my list is limited. Here goes nothing:

1st choice- Pat Narduzzi,Michigan State.

2nd choice- Bud Foster, Virginia Tech.

3rd choice- Jeremy Pruitt, UGA (this would be so much fun watching all of the Uga fans go ballistic. We will have to offer him at least 1 or more million $$$. would be worth every penny)

4th choice- Brett Venables, Clemson (another fun watching Dodo pitching a fit in that this would likely end his career in a few years)

5th choice - Dick Bumpus, TCU.

I will stop here in that I am not sure beyond my 5 listed.

Guest jojo1515

CEJ says the issue is coaching......

http://www.al.com/au...related_stories

Is that what he's saying? I got that he's teaching the right things, but for some reason the kids just don't get it and aren't putting his coaching into practice. He's willing to say it's a messaging issue at this time.

"We're going to always think it's coaching, because if you don't then you don't have any solutions," Johnson said. "I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

"I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

I've read that quote like 10 times. Who is we? What are the things? What does it even mean? Coaches and coaching? Players and playing?

From the article:

"The first thing you're going to do is make sure you're coaching it and teaching it right." and "we're coaching the right things." So he thinks they're coaching the right things, but not coaching it right. Okay. So maybe it's a communication problem. But once that's ruled out, "The first thing you're going to do is make sure you're coaching it and teaching it right" then it's time to look at the players and if needed, "make a change there".

The coachspeak here is tracking down the exact same rhetorical path it did when he was HC at SoMiss. Did you read the three pages of CEJ quotes at EaglePost ?

All of you missing the point please read the pages linked above named Eagle post in blue lettering. Click on the link and read the quotes from EJ during his trek of taking a 12 win So Miss team to 0-12. The comments are identical. He even said in the middle of a winless season that he wasn't going to change anything because he thought they were coaching it the right way....even though they were winless it was the players fault. Please read the Eagle post link!

CEJ says the issue is coaching......

http://www.al.com/au...related_stories

Is that what he's saying? I got that he's teaching the right things, but for some reason the kids just don't get it and aren't putting his coaching into practice. He's willing to say it's a messaging issue at this time.

"We're going to always think it's coaching, because if you don't then you don't have any solutions," Johnson said. "I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

"I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

I've read that quote like 10 times. Who is we? What are the things? What does it even mean? Coaches and coaching? Players and playing?

From the article:

"The first thing you're going to do is make sure you're coaching it and teaching it right." and "we're coaching the right things." So he thinks they're coaching the right things, but not coaching it right. Okay. So maybe it's a communication problem. But once that's ruled out, "The first thing you're going to do is make sure you're coaching it and teaching it right" then it's time to look at the players and if needed, "make a change there".

The coachspeak here is tracking down the exact same rhetorical path it did when he was HC at SoMiss. Did you read the three pages of CEJ quotes at EaglePost ?

All of you missing the point please read the pages linked above named Eagle post in blue lettering. Click on the link and read the quotes from EJ during his trek of taking a 12 win So Miss team to 0-12. The comments are identical. He even said in the middle of a winless season that he wasn't going to change anything because he thought they were coaching it the right way....even though they were winless it was the players fault. Please read the Eagle post link!

That's a floating link. It's now: EaglePost

Guest jojo1515

Quotes from Eaglepost:

"If we feel we are doing the right thing...doesn't matter to me what the results are we are going to keep on doing it"

"You have to say it’s coaching, because if you don’t think it’s coaching, what do you do to correct it?”

"Our problems right now are not coaching. I don't know if our answers are coaching, but I'm going to evaluate all of that."

"I'm not defending what we've done, what I'm saying is we've done the best we can. And we've done the things I've seen done over 31 years in college."

"You can see it. There are times where we have to go back and question our plan and our calls and say, `Hey, could we have done this or could have done that?" But, the bottom line is, when a player's in front of a player with the ball, you've got to make a tackle or make a play on the ball. I'm not defending us or blaming anyone, but you get them in to a position to make a play, they have to make a play. If you aren't getting them into the position to make a play, you have to coach better. And, there's room for improvement in all areas."

"if we'd executed a little better, we would have had a shot."

" I think it's obvious where there were a lot of things where our players didn't perform well from an execution standpoint, from a physical standpoint, from a lot of things. "

AND PROOF THAT LOSING ONE POSITION CAN DESTROY HIS ENTIRE GAME PLAN

"We lost all our tight ends before the halfway point in the season, and my whole offensive philosophy that I wanted to install included a mobile, roving tight end. One that could run vertical, line up on the line of scrimmage and block, and one that could get in the backfield and lead block. We lost that - about 50-percent of our formations that we had built around during the preseason"

Want to laugh? Contracts like these make you scratch your head ...

Johnson's contract runs through June 30, 2017. His $850,000 salary must be paid for in full for the remainder of the contract if he is fired, which would total more than $2 million.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/i_have_confidence_in_ellis_joh.html

Johnson's contract runs through June 30, 2017. His $850,000 salary must be paid for in full for the remainder of the contract if he is fired, which would total more than $2 million.

http://www.al.com/au..._ellis_joh.html

null-54.jpg

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/i_have_confidence_in_ellis_joh.html

So how about we crowd source and fund his buyout........

http://www.al.com/au..._ellis_joh.html

So how about we crowd source and fund his buyout........

was anyone trying to steal him from us?

I'll never understand how JJ lets himself get talked into signing these ridiculous contracts.

If I were an AD, I would want to create incentive heavy contracts. Winning season base salary, additional money for additional wins, division champions, SECCG champs, playoffs, championship, coach awards, etc...Win enough games and make serious bank, lose a lot and not so much.

If i was an ad i would give pay and contracts based on how much i think it will take to retain the employee. Ellis was not very hot on the market. Just like chizik/roof in 2011. Everyone knew gus was the gem.

If i was an ad i would give pay and contracts based on how much i think it will take to retain the employee. Ellis was not very hot on the market. Just like chizik/roof in 2011. Everyone knew gus was the gem.

How do you know Gus didn't tell JJ, "If you want me to sign an extension, then up EJ's as well."?

I have no idea one way or the other, but to speculate on what went on behind the scenes when we know nothing, is an exercise in futility.

How do you know Gus didn't tell JJ, "If you want me to sign an extension, then up EJ's as well."?

I have no idea one way or the other, but to speculate on what went on behind the scenes when we know nothing, is an exercise in futility.

I'm sure Gus wanted an extension for Ellis but it should never have included the buyout clause. It's long past time to stop giving these big buyouts to assistant coaches.

I saw Chizik mentioned above ...

Chizik, who received a $7.5 million dollar buyout for the remaining years on his contract, is still being paid in monthly installments of $209,457.84, according to Alabama Open Financial Records, and will continue to be paid through the 2015-2016 fiscal year.

http://www.al.com/sp..._million_i.html

And for what it's worth, another $2.5MM or so is still owed to Tony Barbee.

Fun times.

Chizik, who received a $7.5 million dollar buyout for the remaining years on his contract, is still being paid in monthly installments of $209,457.84, according to Alabama Open Financial Records, and will continue to be paid through the 2015-2016 fiscal year.

Fun times.

Damn JJ, what were u thinking? Geesh

Fun times.

Not sure about TB, but I know with Chizik the caveat is that any money he earns until his buyout is up is subtracted from what we owe him.

ie., If we owe him $200k a month, but SEC Network (BSPN) is paying him $100k a month, we only have to pay him $100k. Everything he earns from now til then lessens what we pay. I'd assume TB's contract is similarly set up due to the same PTB making the deals with him, but who knows. Basically, shoot for Chizik to get a job coaching again somewhere.

Also - regarding CEJ, all I hear in SC is that "if Auburn is stupid enough to get rid of Ellis, we'd LOVE to have him back"... just food for thought.

Fun times.

Not sure about TB, but I know with Chizik the caveat is that any money he earns until his buyout is up is subtracted from what we owe him.

ie., If we owe him $200k a month, but SEC Network (BSPN) is paying him $100k a month, we only have to pay him $100k. Everything he earns from now til then lessens what we pay. I'd assume TB's contract is similarly set up due to the same PTB making the deals with him, but who knows. Basically, shoot for Chizik to get a job coaching again somewhere.

Also - regarding CEJ, all I hear in SC is that "if Auburn is stupid enough to get rid of Ellis, we'd LOVE to have him back"... just food for thought.

I was just reading one (caveat there) of their message boards and saw one reference to other SC fans wanting him back. The only thing I took away is the feeling over there is that when EJ has elite talent, he produces a decent defense. If he doesn't have that elite talent at every position, and he doesn't seem capable of bringing that to Auburn, then his defense is what we see.

Ellis needs to go. Somehow I don't believe that change will be made though. With the athletic dept nearly $900K in the hole adding EJ's $800+ / year may be a non-starter. In that respect, get rid of Ellis and tell him he has to take Jay with him.

Gus said yesterday he is sticking with Ellis. Full confidence in the staff. Gus is too loyal. We are not getting a new DC

Another season of poor defense and Gus runs a significant risk of losing the fan support.

Fun times.

Yeah? Well if the GAMECOCKS think he's awesome it must be so. Look, the Ellis Johnson discussion is very simple. He's not an incompetent or lazy guy, he's thoroughly whetted to his "Star" formation and sinks or swims by that. He's historically an impressive recruiter BUT the Star system requires two things above all else in the SEC West: players able to play one on one coverage MOST of the time (a tall order in this division) and "Stars" that are dominant, NFL-in-waiting caliber player. Some say he hasn't been given enough time and that's an honest discussion. The defense's fundamentals, body language and failure to improve (cough, cough - steep regression - cough, cough) does not build confidence in his roadmap as DC. That JJ contract for this guy was reasonable though. Those paying attention know Gus has anything BUT confidence in Ellis right now but Gus isn't a knee jerk amateur either, Johnson may get another season. Just please stop jumping on & off bandwagons, most of this board were beating their chests about great D numbers 3 games into the season although some scary writing was on the wall then too.

Gus said yesterday he is sticking with Ellis. Full confidence in the staff. Gus is too loyal. We are not getting a new DC

Another season of poor defense and Gus runs a significant risk of losing the fan support.

When is that new to college football? That is the risk of coaching. Fans love you and then they hate you. Changing DC's is like Muschamp changing OC's at Fla. Tubs changing OC's and DC's here. Doesn't always fix the problems, but adds to it. No body complains about contracts until the end.

Archived