2015 4* DE Prince Tega Wanogho, Jr. commits to AU!

TexasTiger

I think Prince & Chidi would both have benefited from another year in high school learning the game.

at a 1A high school with no polished coaching as opposed to SEC coaching and training...nope.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A player from back in the day....probably 90% of my fellow tiger fans on this board were not born when this guy played the game. I am talking about the "Mad Stork," Ted Hendricks. Hendricks was about the same size as this young man. I think Hendricks played for the Miami Hurricanes, and went on to have a fantastic career in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders & Baltimore I think.

I don't see how he is a 4 star other than size and speed.

Precisely why he's a 4*. He's only played football 4 months. Easily the most upside in either the 2015 or 2016 classes.

No way they star kids only on measurables alone???? If so, that is a scam. Heck what were Kennion's measurable and stars?

To be clear, I am not bashing the kid at all, and I get it on measurables, but Edgwood's schedule and that experience does not translate to proven ability to me.

Yes we want him and the potential, but it would be hard to take him if it meant losing out on a higher ready now type player.

You act as if we're going to sign 3 DE's who are all going to jump into the immediate playing rotation.

This kid is a must-take for us. Upside way too good to pass up.

No way they star kids only on measurables alone????

Never said nor imply that was the only factor. They all flat out tell you thait's a major part though, along with longterm potential. Remember the recruiting sites are backwards. They don't rate how good they think a kid will be in college. They rate kids on what the believe a kids pro potential is and their draftability. Yes I know...It's stupid.
Heck what were Kennion's measurable and stars?
1 inch shorter, 20 pounds lighter, not as strong, near the same wing span, and Prince is just as fast. Prince has much more longterm potential based on his physical attributes thus the higher rating.
Edgwood's schedule and that experience does not translate to proven ability to me.

Nobody said it did. Again ratings are based on long term potential, not proven now ability.

If we could put around 70 lbs on him, he could be a great DT or OT. If he grow anymore, he just needs to go out for Basketball.

70? He's 250 now. He does not need to be 320 to be a DT.

Yea, I was kind of joking, but you never know. A fast DE that is 6'-8" won't hurt either.

I still love the Rob Chubb before and after photos. I wish I knew how to post them.

Yes we want him and the potential, but it would be hard to take him if it meant losing out on a higher ready now type player.

You act as if we're going to sign 3 DE's who are all going to jump into the immediate playing rotation.

I would say Cowert, CeCe, Beckner, Key are all more ready now than Prince. It's simply my opinion based on his film and level of play vs the other guys.

I would say Cowert, CeCe, Beckner, Key are all more ready now than Prince. It's simply my opinion based on his film and level of play vs the other guys.

I never said they weren't more ready.

I'm saying that we'll be lucky to get 1-2 of those guys.

Also; Beckner is a DT 100%.

No way they star kids only on measurables alone????

Never said nor imply that was the only factor. They all flat out tell you thait's a major part though, along with longterm potential. Remember the recruiting sites are backwards. They don't rate how good they think a kid will be in college. They rate kids on what the believe a kids pro potential is and their draftability. Yes I know...It's stupid.
Heck what were Kennion's measurable and stars?
1 inch shorter, 20 pounds lighter, not as strong, near the same wing span, and Prince is just as fast. Prince has much more longterm potential based on his physical attributes thus the higher rating.
Edgwood's schedule and that experience does not translate to proven ability to me.

Nobody said it did. Again ratings are based on long term potential, not proven now ability.

Thanks E. I guess my pause here, is that I am looking for impact players for next season, that also translates to 3 years of productivity. The five star guys rate long term as you noted but also provide better immediate potential imo.

I want both, but hope it is not one or the other.

I completely agree with this. I think the defense is going to be iffy at best next season anyway so why not take Prince if he is ready to pull the trigger. The other guys have had plenty of time to make up their minds. Prince's athletic ability is startling for a player his size. With a redshirt season for the coaches to work with him I think he could be freshman team all-sec first year. I'm still a bit breathless after watching him run about 50 yards to track down a running back after the rest of the defense gave up. That is exactly what this team needs!

I never said they weren't more ready.

I'm saying that we'll be lucky to get 1-2 of those guys.

Also; Beckner is a DT 100%.

Thanks for that, what I am saying I guess is Prince as for AU's sake would be a better get in 2016 than 2015 as rediculous as that sounds.

The fact that he is going early actually helps us. Going to take some work but I would rather that he be doing work at Auburn rather than high school.

Could be a heckuva TE, too.

This is exactly what I'm thinking! 6'8 250 and runs a 4.6. If he can catch, he would be a major weapon! This would also solve the issue if we were able to get those other big-time DE's.

My first thought, given his size, was to bulk him up and put him at SDE or DT. But looking at the video, he plays from a two-point stance a lot, and is an aggressive pass rusher, which suggests he could play WDE/Buck. But he will likely be redshirted and put on 20 lbs his first year.

If he is successful, he eventually will get up above 280 lbs, and would be an NFL 3-4 or 4-3 DE. No chance he will end up as a tweener.

My first thought, given his size, was to bulk him up and put him at SDE or DT. But looking at the video, he plays from a two-point stance a lot, and is an aggressive pass rusher, which suggests he could play WDE/Buck. But he will likely be redshirted and put on 20 lbs his first year.

If he is successful, he eventually will get up above 280 lbs, and would be an NFL 3-4 or 4-3 DE. No chance he will end up as a tweeter.

Yes and I don't see how taking him now would cause us to lose any DEs that are "more ready". Guys like Cowart and Jefferson won't be threatened by a player that has played for only 4 months and has to redshirt.

If he is successful, he eventually will get up above 280 lbs, and would be an NFL 3-4 or 4-3 DE. No chance he will end up as a tweeter.

Yes and I don't see how taking him now would cause us to lose any DEs that are "more ready". Guys like Cowart and Jefferson won't be threatened by a player that has played for only 4 months and has to redshirt.

Agreed

Prince has no impact on Cowart/Key/Jefferson, outside of a #'s standpoint. They are not worried about him as far as it affecting their playing time.

If the K has to GS, or whatever it takes, we sign him if he will.

I watched his highlight tape and he does have a lot of athleticism ,especially for a guy his size, but he is very,very raw and he is a long way from playing sec football.....I think he can be a dynamic defensive player but it will take at least, two years to develop him to that point

I watched his highlight tape and he does have a lot of athleticism ,especially for a guy his size, but he is very,very raw and he is a long way from playing sec football.....I think he can be a dynamic defensive player but it will take at least, two years to develop him to that point

maybe so but that kind of pure talent just doesn't come around every day.

Possibly but he's already close to an SEC quality body and not even knowing what the heck he was doing he had 82 tackles this year. Yes I know he's playing 1A ball but that's still a lot of tackles for a DE and showed he did not play down to his competition. I think he could be ready to go by his RS Frosh year.

Archived