Auburn & Alabama

TitanTiger

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting that in 100 years of football, you pick the last 20 years...which were AU's best in school history...yet the numbers are almost the same.

Um, that kinda was my point. This is the new normal. Basically, the numbers were the same pre-Bryant also. It's the Bryant era that shifts most of the numbers so heavily your way...but that era has been over for 22 years now. In summary, Bama fans better get used to things being this way, not the way things were back then.

The Bryant years were an outlier. He won 12 SEC titles and 6 MNCs in 25 years. That's basically an SEC title every other year and a MNC every 4 years. Those days are over and will not be returned to no matter how far away from probation you guys get.

The foreseeable future is this: Bama will pretty much be grappling on an even playing field with LSU and/or Auburn year in/year out for the SEC West and with Georgia, Tennessee and Florida added in for overall SEC supremacy. Other teams will pop up from time to time like Arkansas, Ole Miss, possibly S. Carolina with Spurrier. Here and there, any of the above mentioned regular contenders will have down years. But Bama fans need to get over the notion that somehow once they are not hampered by scholly reductions that they'll be perennial kings of the hill again.

Thanks for sharing.

No problem.

I think this is yet ANOTHER Titan contributed thread ABOUT Alabama.

I don't really care. I think if you check my posting ratios, you'll find I generally talk about my own team the vast, vast, vast majority of the time. This just came about because of some conversations recently with various bammer dorks who are still stuck in the 1970s and because of some of the crap I see posted on various boards by dumb bammers. So I decided to do a little research and dispell the goofy notion that the 1) the only reason Auburn is beating Bama and being successful is because Bama is on probation and 2) Bama dominating or even regularly winning the SEC is the historical norm. It is the Bryant era norm. One 25 year period of time that, while certainly something to be proud of, is not indicative of current or future success.

Yeah but the whole Titan party line "mean ole bammers wont stop talking about the past" gets old after a while.

You keep trying to paint this image of Bama fans sitting around a camp fire talking about the good ole days...because that's all we have...and all we ever WILL have.

But over here, you're preaching to the choir. Regardless of how inconsistent that picture you paint is...THAT is how ALL you Auburn fans will see bama fans...because it makes you feel better if that stereotype is perpetuated.

If it helps you sleep at night, all warm and fuzzy, because you think Bama fans feel that we have no future and we have to rehash the past...more power to ya. You're wrong...but thats okay, because you're happy. And really, thats all that matters.

When I talk to my AU friends...you know what I talk about? Auburn football. SEC football...i dont sit around and go...yeah but Coach Bryant owned yall...or whatever else you think we talk about. You always like to bring up topics you see on message boards...especially Bamamag. Like that is an accurate depiction of Bama fans. If that's the case, why dont you start talking about the AU fans who post on Bamamag? Those guys are obnoxious pompous idiots...like 99% of the jerks on ITAT. Message boards are popular because they are devoid of accountability.

There are sooo many variables in the game. Some on the field, some off.

Recruiting is a gamble, and appearances at signing can be very misleading. Just ask LSU.

Goff at Georgia could recruit like the dickens, but couldn't coach.

You have to get relatively immature men pumped, but not tense. As so many Olympic athletes have noted, there is very little difference physically in the top 100; it comes down to the mental aspects. If you have been reading Borges' quotes, he says that a major part of his job with a quarterback is to "calm him down and free him up"--to play relaxed and cool.

Bryant's major game was mental, depite his gruelling workouts. Those sweat-jobs were to instill the idea in the players' head that "nobody outworks Bama". Those walk-arounds of the stadium before dressing out? "Bama is checking things out--Bama will be ready." Don't know how he got so street-smart in the psychology world, but he did. He would find out what brand of football the opponent used and make sure the punt receivers and defensive backs used same in their drills. Did it make all that much difference in the handling of the ball? Of course not--but the message was sent, to both teams. I could go on and on.

The major thing that Dye brought to Auburn was the dispelling, for all time, of the Bryant-Bama mystique. His historic quote in his interview for the job when asked, "How long will it take to beat Bryant?": "60 minutes", while not proven true, was the dawn of a new attitude and a new era.

There is not question that speed, strength, technique, plus X's and O's, are important. But they aren't enough, especially in these days of sophisticated players, trainers, and schemes. I honestly believe that the major failure of Nallsminger was that the players didn't buy in, didn't believe.

I have tremendous confidence in the Auburn coaching staff. I hope it can remain intact for a comfortable period (whatever that is). But the winners in today's world--be it business, education, athletics, etc.--are those who can adapt to change, for change is inevitable. CTT stumbled with the Nall experiment, but we can hope he learned from that. This is his tenth year as a head coach and I hope he wins them all--it took Bryant 17 years to do that--and with fewer games.

I am not repeating a cliche', I mean it whole-heartedly when I say that "I'm proud to be an Auburn Tiger".

Has anyone taken the time to run the numbers as to how well AUBURN has done at the smaller sandbox in west al. over the past THREE CENTURIES? :au:

Ohhhhh....Nevermind. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah but the whole Titan party line "mean ole bammers wont stop talking about the past" gets old after a while.

Well, you are on an Auburn board. We tend to discuss the things we feel like discussing and generally don't consult our rivals on whether or not they've grown tired of it first, although you're still welcome to participate...or not...in the given thread.

You keep trying to paint this image of Bama fans sitting around a camp fire talking about the good ole days...because that's all we have...and all we ever WILL have.

Actually, I think I said that the norm Bama fans need to get used to is competing on a pretty even playing field with LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida, but that Bryant-era dominant is a thing of the past.

But over here, you're preaching to the choir. Regardless of how inconsistent that picture you paint is...THAT is how ALL you Auburn fans will see bama fans...because it makes you feel better if that stereotype is perpetuated.

If that was actually what I said, you'd have a point.

If it helps you sleep at night, all warm and fuzzy, because you think Bama fans feel that we have no future and we have to rehash the past...more power to ya. You're wrong...but thats okay, because you're happy. And really, thats all that matters.

BG, you've been here a long time. Time and again, I have told you and the other Bama regulars that unless I name one of you specifically when talking about things dumb bammers say, I am not talking about you. I'm talking about other bammer numbskulls I encounter, either in person or on cesspools like BamaMag, TideFans, or TiderInsider.

That being said, I opened this thread with the following paragraph:

Much gets said by a certain, rather large percentage of bammers about their tradition. It usually comes up in conversations with Auburn people as to how the current 3 game losing streak to us in the Iron Bowl and us winning the SEC title is just an "aberration" and how things will "return to normal" once they get over the effects of probation, blah, blah, blah.

Now, unless you skip over the qualifiers and have actually said goofy crap like what I mention in this paragraph, then you and the Bama fans you know and love are exempt from this criticism. How could I be any clearer? The last paragraph should have clued you in as well:

Just keep these facts and figures handy the next time some mouthy bammer who is ignorant of history tries to feed you that load of Bama tradition and "rightful place" bullcrap. There is certainly nothing wrong with them pulling for their team or even being optimistic. Real fans of all stripes are "guilty" of such things. But you know as well as I do when it crosses the line from rosy optimism into blind, ignorant, unfounded arrogance. These facts and figures should enlighten them to the way things really are. (But don't expect them to admit it to your face!).

I mean, do you consider yourself a mouthy bammer? Have I ever referred to you or any Bama regular here as such? Do the qualifiers about nothing being wrong with optimism and pulling for your team or the line between rosy optimism and blind, ignorant, unfounded arrogance just whiz right over your head?

When I talk to my AU friends...you know what I talk about? Auburn football. SEC football...i dont sit around and go...yeah but Coach Bryant owned yall...or whatever else you think we talk about. You always like to bring up topics you see on message boards...especially Bamamag. Like that is an accurate depiction of Bama fans. If that's the case, why dont you start talking about the AU fans who post on Bamamag? Those guys are obnoxious pompous idiots...like 99% of the jerks on ITAT. Message boards are popular because they are devoid of accountability.

131726[/snapback]

I bring up topics like this from time to time because those dimbulbs at places like BamaMag are pretty indicative of a ton of Bama fans I've had the displeasure of enduring over the years. I've had some good friends who are Bama fans as well and I spare them my more acidic responses...just like I spare you. Heck, I go further than that and defend you, in public and in private, against Auburn fans here when I think they are treating you unfairly or lumping you in with the bammerrag crowd.

But you've got to deal with the fact that:

1. This is an Auburn board.

2. Auburn fans have put up with a ton of crap from ignorant bammers over the years...more so than Bama fans have gotten from our crazy uncles in return.

3. Sometimes we're going to rant about it.

None of those factors need to get your dander up because unless explicitly stated, I'm not talking about or to you.

You always like to bring up topics you see on message boards...especially Bamamag. Like that is an accurate depiction of Bama fans.

131726[/snapback]

Sorry BG, but these are the same things being discussed in the Ferg(Ferguson Center), on the quad and at the Rec or wherever you are talking about the state of Alabama football. It is not that you all are not competitive, but you don't want to be competitive. You feel that because you're Bama its your birthright to be dominant which my man Titan has proven is simply not the case. I have lived in Tuscaloosa for my entire life and have put up with Bama fans constantly. This is the general perception of Bama fans and I have to say that it's pretty accurate. :no:

BTW, I posted this over at bamamags on a thread entitled "Difference between Alabama abnd Auburn."

Guess what...It was almost instantly deleted... :roflol::roflol: :roflol:

BTW, Would someone here go and post on that thread that yes, I did give to the Jay Lisby Fund...

I cannot post on the thread now that it was deleted. Heck I may be banned....WOOHOO! I am somebody now, just like the other 6212 other folks banned on Bamamags. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Typical when comparing Bama and Auburn. Auburn fans want to delete Bear Bryants years and make the comparison as if you could simply wish those years away. Since the title of your post implies you want to talk facts heres one for you. Those years actually did happen. The word tradition is all encompassing. You can't subtract what you don't like and keep what you do. I'm not sure Bama fans could select one coach to subtract from your record that would actually make any difference. I am positive you have never had a coach that made the impact Coach Bryant did. So the very nature of your post is blantantly unfair and proves the Bama nation's point that you folks will forever try bending the FACTS in a futile attempt to make AUs tradition equal to UA's. Nice try though!

So the very nature of your post is blantantly unfair and proves the Bama nation's point that you folks will forever try bending the FACTS in a futile attempt to make AUs tradition equal to UA's. Nice try though!

131760[/snapback]

Who needs tradition? We live in a society where the saying is "What can you do for me now?"

The Auburn Tigers are doing it for me now!!!

I must leave my office and don't have time to prepare an answer, but BamaBo numbers are inaccurate so do NOT buy into to them. Through 1957 Auburn was 12-9-1. The Bryant years are accurate 6-19. After Bryant 12-10 is correct. Pre 1958 years are where is numbers are incorrect. If someone can tell me if its possible to attach a Lotus spreadsheet here I can submit a year by year analysis giving a wealth of information about the history of the AU vs UA game beginning with 1893 through 2004 including who the head coaches were and where the game was played, etc.

Typical when comparing Bama and Auburn. Auburn fans want to delete Bear Bryants years and make the comparison as if you could simply wish those years away. Since the title of your post implies you want to talk facts heres one for you.  Those years actually did happen.

Ah, we have a dumb bammer volunteering as Exhibit A. Again, please brush up on the reading skills. I said Bryant era was something Bama fans can be proud of. But that wasn't the point. The point is that that era ended over 20 years ago. In those 22 years, Bama's record has proven that era to be an aberration. Bama's almost yearly dominance of the SEC and the national scene died with him. Get used to it. 22 years is long enough to demonstrate that this is normal.

The word tradition is all encompassing. You can't subtract what you don't like and keep what you do. I'm not sure Bama fans could select one coach to subtract from your record that would actually make any difference. I am positive you have never had a coach that made the impact Coach Bryant did. So the very nature of your post is blantantly unfair and proves the Bama nation's point that you folks will forever try bending the FACTS in a futile attempt to make AUs tradition equal to UA's. Nice try though!

131760[/snapback]

Are you always this dumb, or are you acting out just for us? The point was never that Bama didn't have the success that occurred under Bryant. It was that dumb bammers like yourself constantly point to the glory years of Bryant and act like winning the SEC every other year and always being in the running for the national title is normal for bammer. It's not. It was pretty normal during the Bryant years. It was not before and it is not after. You just have to face facts. You are no longer the premier team in the league and haven't been for a good while. The numbers don't lie...bammer's glory years of dominance have been over for at least 22 years. Get used to fighting for your lives against Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee. It's just the way things are.

"If you take out 25 years of their history then we're almost as good as them! YAY!!!!"

Sometimes some of you make me wonder...

131785[/snapback]

I bet you've never met a strawman you couldn't pummel. Way to go Streyder! :roll:

There has never been an attempt to dismiss the Bryant years. What I read in the posters is the view that the Bama folks use the Bryant years as if those years are the norm--that they are now in some atypical down period and it's only a matter of time untill things are back to "normal".

Talk to Nebraska and Notre Dame these days about what's "normal".

I have the utmost respect for bama's record and certainly for the absolute phenomenon that Paul W. Bryant was. But if Bama fans think that the PWB years are "normal" they are (read "have been") in for a not-so-pleasant awakening. It's just that no one's awake yet.

In the last Auburn probationary period, we lost considerably more scholarships than Bama (33 vs. 25) but didn't have the same abysmal performance.

While 'Net talk is fun and cheap, it's only RESULTS ON THE FIELD that matter. In the last 25 years, Auburn is 13-12 against Bama. Certainly not stellar, but better, and best of all the trend is promising.

"If you take out 25 years of their history then we're almost as good as them! YAY!!!!"

Sometimes some of you make me wonder...

131785[/snapback]

Bammers who have no reading/comprehension skills make me wonder. :roll:

No one said anything about taking out 25 years. What was said is that many bammers refer to a period of 25 years that took place over 20 years ago as "tradition." Can approximately 22% of your football existence from two decades ago really be called "tradition?" :blink:

You do have history to be extremely proud of. But it is simply that...history.

The Very fact that we cannot even discuss this reasonably with a Bama Fan is telling. They have to exagerate what Titan said.

His point was that the abberation was the PWB years. Before and after Bear, we are and always have been the better team. It is ludcrous to keep talking about dominating someone when you havent even beaten them on your home feild...ever!

Bama's Tradition is getting longer in the tooth evey day. The kids playing now, were born after Bear died.

as much as i enjoy dominating alabama, im beginning to think that maybe we should give them one every couple of years. i mean it wont be fun anymore if we turn it into a tennesee vandy type rivalry where one team starts bragging about coming within 8 points of winning the game. oh wait! nevermind.

The Very fact that we cannot even discuss this reasonably with a Bama Fan is telling. They have to exagerate what Titan said.

His point was that the abberation was the PWB years. Before and after Bear, we are and always have been the better team. It is ludcrous to keep talking about dominating someone when you havent even beaten them on your home feild...ever!

Bama's Tradition is getting longer in the tooth evey day. The kids playing now, were born after Bear died.

131815[/snapback]

My main point, even beyond the aberration thing, is that the 22 years of most recent history demonstrate that whatever regular success they enjoyed under Bryant has not carried over. They are no longer the Bama of those years and never will be. The landscape has changed. Bama will win its share but will never be truly dominant...at least not any more than the other major SEC teams I mentioned.

It's like this: Tradition is something you do every year or every month or regularly, like celebrating Christmas or having a Memorial Day parade or a class reunion every five years. History is something else. Alabama has history, not tradition.

Good topic Titan.  Hate to throw a negative in it but I sure wish we could find a way to blow these guys out...just once.  I wish there was some way this game could be played where I could just relax by half time knowing Auburn had the game well in hand.  Instead, I owe my in-laws for new carpet this year after wearing out a new track down to the slab. :D

Bryant's teams absolutely dominated and it's something to be proud of.  Just look at the long lasting effects his tenure still has on the fans in this state.  It's good to see how competitive the series really is when you exclude that dark period in history.

131704[/snapback]

Were you not relaxed when we went up 7-6? I sure was! It WAS over at that point. UAT had the ball inside the 15 three times and couldn't score. I knew then that they wouldn't. Of course CTT HAD to go into his famous "It's not a prevent" defense, but still no problem. Don't worry, let them have their memories of Bryant, becasue that's all they do have, memories. Those peopel were all born in or around the time of Bryant's tenure, so that's all they know. Most of the UAT fans are not scholars of history, or much else either, so they haven't/won't/or can't read about the past. The scary thing for them is the future! They do know what it holds for them: Losing and losing a lot, especially to Auburn. As was quoted earlier in this thread, UAT is back to it's normal state of being:some good years, an occasional great year, but no big run of major wins or major bowls. It must su#k to be them! Oh wait...it does!

Archived