Auburn & Alabama

TitanTiger

Typical when comparing Bama and Auburn. Auburn fans want to delete Bear Bryants years and make the comparison as if you could simply wish those years away. Since the title of your post implies you want to talk facts heres one for you.  Those years actually did happen. The word tradition is all encompassing. You can't subtract what you don't like and keep what you do. I'm not sure Bama fans could select one coach to subtract from your record that would actually make any difference. I am positive you have never had a coach that made the impact Coach Bryant did. So the very nature of your post is blantantly unfair and proves the Bama nation's point that you folks will forever try bending the FACTS in a futile attempt to make AUs tradition equal to UA's. Nice try though!

131760[/snapback]

You are right, Auburn's tradition is not equal to UAT's. Auburn's is better. Tradition does not mean just wins. One major component is class, something UAT lacks, for the most part, and will never have.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it helps you sleep at night, all warm and fuzzy, because you think Bama fans feel that we have no future and we have to rehash the past...more power to ya. You're wrong...but thats okay, because you're happy. And really, thats all that matters.

I don't need to think about bama's past or future to sleep well at night. I stay warm and fuzzy just thinking about 21-13 and three in a row :D:D:D

By the way, when are you going to answer my "yes or no" question about Keys?

Typical when comparing Bama and Auburn. Auburn fans want to delete Bear Bryants years and make the comparison as if you could simply wish those years away. Since the title of your post implies you want to talk facts heres one for you.  Those years actually did happen. The word tradition is all encompassing. You can't subtract what you don't like and keep what you do. I'm not sure Bama fans could select one coach to subtract from your record that would actually make any difference. I am positive you have never had a coach that made the impact Coach Bryant did. So the very nature of your post is blantantly unfair and proves the Bama nation's point that you folks will forever try bending the FACTS in a futile attempt to make AUs tradition equal to UA's. Nice try though!

131760[/snapback]

You are right, Auburn's tradition is not equal to UAT's. Auburn's is better. Tradition does not mean just wins. One major component is class, something UAT lacks, for the most part, and will never have.

131858[/snapback]

I really tried not to respond, but I just can't help it. What damn difference does it make about who thinks who has the most tradition? We are all proud of our schools and no matter what any one says it is not going to change the mind of the other. The meaning of the word Tradition in the dictionary is "long-accepted custom or belief". That means to me that which every side "believes" they have more tradition must have more. I think the tradition and class of both schools is really measured by more than football games. I believe that the traditions are different by how each school was started, but they are both strong and held to high esteem by fans and graduates of each.

131760[/snapback]

131858[/snapback]

I really tried not to respond, but I just can't help it. What damn difference does it make about who thinks who has the most tradition? We are all proud of our schools and no matter what any one says it is not going to change the mind of the other. The meaning of the word Tradition in the dictionary is "long-accepted custom or belief". That means to me that which every side "believes" they have more tradition must have more. I think the tradition and class of both schools is really measured by more than football games. I believe that the traditions are different by how each school was started, but they are both strong and held to high esteem by fans and graduates of each.

131888[/snapback]

So if we are all right in what we believe, I must say, Bama sucks! :big::big::big:

Please allow me to reiterate: I'm not denigrating Bama's rich football history, especially the Bryant era. It is what it is. Bama won a ton of football games and championships in his 25 years. They had some success before then, partcularly a few years in the 20s and 40s, but the Bryant era stand far and above any other portion of their history. It is something to be proud of.

What prompted this research and this post is the attitude by many in the bammer camp that Auburn only does well when Bama's on probation, or that it's just a matter of time before Bama regains it's "rightful place" to the top of the SEC. The numbers just don't bear that out (no pun intended). It's been 22 years since Bear left. That's plenty of time to be able to read and establish a trend, to understand how things have shaken out and what expectations are based in reality and which ones are based in fantasy. The reality is that Bama is still one of the better programs in the country and one of about six teams in the SEC who can expect to regularly compete for division and conference titles with an occasional year of competing for a national title. I see those other teams as Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia. Obviously, all of these teams will not be hitting on all cylinders each and every year. They'll rise and fall. But these programs over a period of years show themselves to be on a different level than Ole Miss, Miss. State, Arkansas, and S. Carolina. Kentucky and Vandy aren't even up for discussion.

The quicker that the dumber portion of the bammer nation comes to grips with this, the better off Alabama will be and the less snotty and arrogant they will come off as.

I really tried not to respond, but I just can't help it.  What damn difference does it make about who thinks who has the most tradition?  We are all proud of our schools and no matter what any one says it is not going to change the mind of the other.  The meaning of the word Tradition in the dictionary is "long-accepted custom or belief".  That means to me that which every side "believes" they have more tradition must have more.  I think the tradition and class of both schools is really measured by more than football games.  I believe that the traditions are different by how each school was started, but they are both strong and held to high esteem by fans and graduates of each.

131888[/snapback]

This is probably the best response to this thread that I have seen.

Does :au: have a great tradition? Yes.

Does :ua: have a great tradition? Yes.

P.S.

Do I think :ua: will ever dominate the way we did during the Bryant era? With scholly restrictions and all I doubt it. But, I do believe that all of this goes in cycles and at some point :ua: will be on top again at least for a short period.

Is one that much greater than the other? In all actuality, no. But depending upon which side of the fence you are on, you may perceive it differently.

Both schools are in the top 10 of all time wins and winning percentage. Both teams have a lot to be proud of. Both schools have a lot of great fans, and both schools have fans that are major a-hole homers.

One thing I think we can all be proud of is I don't think any other state has TWO schools that has had as much success as the state of Alabama. Florida may come close, but since UF and FSU (and even Miami to some extent) are pretty much johnny come latelies, I'm not sure even they would be that close.

The major problem I have with the bammers is that they like to take 25 years of football of their choosing to define their program and rub our nose in it, but when we take 25 years of football to define our program, they try to downplay it. What BG fails to recognize is that the stereotype we have of the typical bama fan, conjuring up the ghosts of the past when they have nothing in the present to be proud of, is reality. That is how most bama fans are. He can deny it all he wants, but it is the truth. I lived in Tuscaloosa for 3 years. I know bama fans as well as anyone.

What really matters is how the two programs are viewed by the average college fan outside of Alabama. They see Auburn as a rising program, and they see Bama as a run-of-the-mill, second-rate SEC team. I live in the midwest, and I talk to a lot of people from all over who share this perception/reality.

In my eyes, Bama is just another crappy team that we beat every year. They are Notre Dame South (minus the academic standards). They are an embarrassment to their beloved tradition. They realize that we have entered a new era of college football, one in which they are at best a perrennial Top 20 team. And it kills them. So they just reminisce about 12 national chapnionships. Or is it 8? Or is it 6? Whatever. Who has the inferiority complex?

I really tried not to respond, but I just can't help it.  What damn difference does it make about who thinks who has the most tradition?  We are all proud of our schools and no matter what any one says it is not going to change the mind of the other.  The meaning of the word Tradition in the dictionary is "long-accepted custom or belief".  That means to me that which every side "believes" they have more tradition must have more.  I think the tradition and class of both schools is really measured by more than football games.  I believe that the traditions are different by how each school was started, but they are both strong and held to high esteem by fans and graduates of each.

131888[/snapback]

This is probably the best response to this thread that I have seen.

Does :au: have a great tradition? Yes.

Does :ua: have a great tradition? Yes.

P.S.

Do I think :ua: will ever dominate the way we did during the Bryant era? With scholly restrictions and all I doubt it. But, I do believe that all of this goes in cycles and at some point :ua: will be on top again at least for a short period.

Is one that much greater than the other? In all actuality, no. But depending upon which side of the fence you are on, you may perceive it differently.

Both schools are in the top 10 of all time wins and winning percentage. Both teams have a lot to be proud of. Both schools have a lot of great fans, and both schools have fans that are major a-hole homers.

One thing I think we can all be proud of is I don't think any other state has TWO schools that has had as much success as the state of Alabama. Florida may come close, but since UF and FSU (and even Miami to some extent) are pretty much johnny come latelies, I'm not sure even they would be that close.

131903[/snapback]

Bo should be Secretary of State :D

Nothin' more fun than taking a big old Orange & Blue "stick" and stirrin' up the uaters! :poke:

Easy to do, but, Fun none the less ! ! ! :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

As was quoted earlier in this thread, UAT is back to it's normal state of being:some good years, an occasional great year, but no big run of major wins or major bowls. It must su#k to be them! Oh wait...it does!

You just described Auburn's football team exactly. Does it suck to be a Tiger? Was that your point?

As was quoted earlier in this thread, UAT is back to it's normal state of being:some good years, an occasional great year, but no big run of major wins or major bowls. It must su#k to be them! Oh wait...it does!

You just described Auburn's football team exactly. Does it suck to be a Tiger? Was that your point?

131926[/snapback]

Three in a row don't suck :poke:

131926[/snapback]

131927[/snapback]

I'm sure it doesn't. When Bama had the streak in the '70's and had the exact same attitude that Aubie7 has, we were "arrogant". What's the difference? It seems to me that winning breeds arrogance.

131926[/snapback]

131927[/snapback]

What's the difference? It seems to me that winning breeds arrogance.

131931[/snapback]

Sure it does. That's why we are saying we are so much better than you right

now :D JK

131926[/snapback]

To quote the great Pee Wee Herman, and I paraphrase:

"I know you do, but what are we."

Did you miss the short bus to school today? :big: Your Mommy really shouldn't have left you at home all day, by yourself with nothing to do! Pick up your passy, find your spilt milk, and go look at your elephant posters. Try not to get the elephant posters confused with the :ua: homecoming queen and :ua: cheerleader pictures,

ok? Don't worry, maybe someone will bring you a nice toy back from Nashville. :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

131926[/snapback]

131927[/snapback]

I'm sure it doesn't. When Bama had the streak in the '70's and had the exact same attitude that Aubie7 has, we were "arrogant". What's the difference? It seems to me that winning breeds arrogance.

131931[/snapback]

Wow! That didn't take long did it!? You just proved Titan right!! Way to go! This whole time you have tried to make some type of argument, which was useless, however all you did was prove his theory to be correct! You guys ALWAYS go back to that one period, because that's all you have :roflol: . You sucked before then, and you have sucked since then, get use to it! :moon:

131926[/snapback]

To quote the great Pee Wee Herman, and I paraphrase:

"I know you do, but what are we."

Did you miss the short bus to school today? :big: Your Mommy really shouldn't have left you at home all day, by yourself with nothing to do! Pick up your passy, find your spilt milk, and go look at your elephant posters. Try not to get the elephant posters confused with the :ua: homecoming queen and :ua: cheerleader pictures,

ok? Don't worry, maybe someone will bring you a nice toy back from Nashville. :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

131953[/snapback]

Auburn class at it's finest.

131926[/snapback]

131927[/snapback]

131931[/snapback]

Wow! That didn't take long did it!? You just proved Titan right!! Way to go! This whole time you have tried to make some type of argument, which was useless, however all you did was prove his theory to be correct! You guys ALWAYS go back to that one period, because that's all you have :roflol: . You sucked before then, and you have sucked since then, get use to it! :moon:

131957[/snapback]

Actually, I don't care about that period. You guys are the ones that cry about it, not me. I simply used it to show that it's not fair for bama to be arrogant when they were winning, but now it's okay for AU because they are winning. Again, AU hypocrisy at it's finest.

Yeah, I think so too. I knew it would ruffle a few feathers but I didn't expect the fur to fly to the extent that it has. Besides, we've beat all the angles of this thing to death. The numbers are what they are.

I do think, however, that I will move this post to the Classics Forum for easy access when encountering mouthy bammers stuck in 1979. :D

Archived