The Issue Defensively

Weegle777

Totally agree with AURex, no accountability. It's 3rd and 4 and you jump offsides and give the other team the 1st down you stay in the game. You get two holding calls to kill two drives and you stay in the game. You miss 15 tackles and guess what you stay in the game. Put in someone else just to show there is accountability. We keep doing the same thing each week but we expect to see different results? We think in 2 weeks our defensive coaches can suddenly turn our defense into an attacking and gang tackling group? We are soft. I am sick of watching the other team fired up and attacking on defense and our guess playing flat footed waiting for the RB to get to them. My rant for the day.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, this one wasn't on the defense. We stopped UGA on 4 of their first 5 drives, but special teams gave the ball right back on a muffed punt and a roughing the kicker penalty. Even with all that, we still were only down 17-7 at the half. The offense literally did NOTHING to help out, putting a tired defense back out there time and time again. Be upset with them for some missed tackles and the A&M game. But this is a different game without those dumb special teams plays, the dropped passes and utter lack of execution on offense.

You know, this one wasn't on the defense. We stopped UGA on 4 of their first 5 drives, but special teams gave the ball right back on a muffed punt and a roughing the kicker penalty. Even with all that, we still were only down 17-7 at the half. The offense literally did NOTHING to help out, putting a tired defense back out there time and time again. Be upset with them for some missed tackles and the A&M game. But this is a different game without those dumb special teams plays, the dropped passes and utter lack of execution on offense.

Yeah totally agree. If we get that fourth down, punch it in or not fumble it and put a drive in...it's 14-0. Totally different ballgame. 17-7 at half is nothing we could not overcome.

However we have regressed and as Gus says we have to get better each week...That has not happened this year. Special teams needs alot of work

One observation about our defensive coaching since Tubs left. We seem to go hire the best available coaches at each position, not what fits the DC's system. Rodney Garner had been coaching a 3-4 defensive line for 5 years before he came to Auburn. Could that be part of the problem finding rush defensive ends? It seems like our safeties and CBs are always on different pages. We have a different coach for safeties and CBs. I believe we need to clean slate and let Gus hire a DC and let the DC hire his position coaches. Hopefully that will improve teamwork in the defense.

This team, as a whole, has been out of sync all year long. Even in the games where they scored a bunch of points they had some issues on offense. I have no idea how to explain these last two games on that side of the ball.

What does Bama have on defense that AU does not? Depth. And I don't mean they can substitute a lot of guys throughout the game. What I mean is, there are always two more guys just as good as you are right on your tail, ready to step in and take your job. If you screw up, you will lose your playing time. When you are 3-deep in 5 star players, the strongest competition is within your own team. (It's that way with LSU most years as well, but the LSU defense was totally wiped out the past two years due to graduation and the NFL draft.)

Auburn doesn't have that kind of depth at LB and in the secondary. You screw up, the coach asks you to try not to screw up next time. You screw up again, the coach asks you not to do that again. But you don't sit, and the reason is because the guys behind you are just not ready/able to do any better.

I have never questioned the commitment or heart of Auburn's players. And Auburn has had good recruiting classes, so there is talent. There's just not the level of accountability, the quality depth, and the coaching to get to that level.

And BTW -- Muschamp gets a No from me as well.

But, where does quality depth and accountability come from? It comes from coaching. The only way to have this is for the coaching staff to make this reality, they must place a strong emphasis on recruiting blue chip defenders and also have a system of accountability. If you mess up at Bama and are out of position horribly, the thing there is Saban has instilled where you are supposed to be. You better be where you are supposed to be. Assigment football. And if you aren't, then you likely won't see the field again, because there is someone else who can be in the right position. We don't have this. Until the coaching staff implements this, the problems are likely to continue.

One observation about our defensive coaching since Tubs left. We seem to go hire the best available coaches at each position, not what fits the DC's system. Rodney Garner had been coaching a 3-4 defensive line for 5 years before he came to Auburn. Could that be part of the problem finding rush defensive ends? It seems like our safeties and CBs are always on different pages. We have a different coach for safeties and CBs. I believe we need to clean slate and let Gus hire a DC and let the DC hire his position coaches. Hopefully that will improve teamwork in the defense.

Position coaches should be able to adapt their coaching to the system they are in. Position coaches move from one system to another with regularity. That shouldn't be an issue. I sincerely doubt Gus went out and hired the position coaches on defense without consulting CEJ. I am quite certain that he, as the DC, had a lot to do with bringing in the position coaches.

Yeah, this was a total team loss. We failed in every aspect of the game and that includes coaching. Did you see Stat's Report Card? The worst total scores in all three phases of the game that I can remember.

Yeah totally agree. If we get that fourth down, punch it in or not fumble it and put a drive in...it's 14-0. Totally different ballgame. 17-7 at half is nothing we could not overcome.

However we have regressed and as Gus says we have to get better each week...That has not happened this year. Special teams needs alot of work

Even on offense it was execution. Remember the first drive in the second half? Two perfect passes and two ridiculous drops. It was still 17-7 at that point, I think. The plays were there. The execution was not. That being said, the same two players were back on the field the next drive, after UGA scored and it really didn't matter. Our coaches do not seem to use the bench as a motivator.

Position coaches should be able to adapt their coaching to the system they are in. Position coaches move from one system to another with regularity. That shouldn't be an issue. I sincerely doubt Gus went out and hired the position coaches on defense without consulting CEJ. I am quite certain that he, as the DC, had a lot to do with bringing in the position coaches.

That can explain the system difference from CRG, but I still don't like having different coaches for safeties and CBs

I'd be willing to be Coach Fountain is gone before CEJ. Everyone is already asking who's next since they're all so sure that CEJ is going to get the can, but is he?

So, just thinking, our offense is designed to throw defenses off kilter, to trick them into moving out of their assignments and confuse them, right? Perhaps the fact that our defense has been practicing against that kind of offense has led to a lack of discipline in keeping their assignments...our offense has worked against our defense???? Just wondering, since I really don't know what I'm talking about...haha

That can explain the system difference from CRG, but I still don't like having different coaches for safeties and CBs

That is odd. I'm guessing that is the way CEJ wants the defense organized.

So, just thinking, our offense is designed to throw defenses off kilter, to trick them into moving out of their assignments and confuse them, right? Perhaps the fact that our defense has been practicing against that kind of offense has led to a lack of discipline in keeping their assignments...our offense has worked against our defense???? Just wondering, since I really don't know what I'm talking about...haha

Defenses practice against the scout team running our next opponent's offense. Very seldom do the #1 O and D practice against each other once the season starts.

Hearing that there will be definite coaching changes at the end of the season, and not just on the defensive side. Also, I believe that the players that will be leaving this year will do wonders with the team chemistry for next year. Many of our "leaders" are playing for themselves, and many are having issues with the coaches. TIFWIW

I'd be willing to be Coach Fountain is gone before CEJ. Everyone is already asking who's next since they're all so sure that CEJ is going to get the can, but is he?

I agree. Special teams have fell off quickly under Fountain. He needs to be moved back to an off-the-field position.

William Laird Cowher

Why do you keep trolling with this? He would never take a college DC job. If he wants to get back into coaching there will be a long line of suitors, in the NFL mostly, that will want him as head coach.

I say we go big.

I hoped we would go after him from the start.

Defenses practice against the scout team running our next opponent's offense. Very seldom do the #1 O and D practice against each other once the season starts.

But they work on their fundamentals more in spring practice and preseason camp, against the regular offense.

Hearing that there will be definite coaching changes at the end of the season, and not just on the defensive side. Also, I believe that the players that will be leaving this year will do wonders with the team chemistry for next year. Many of our "leaders" are playing for themselves, and many are having issues with the coaches. TIFWIW

Link or source?

Time to bring TRob home to coach db's. He's a hell of a recruiter and coach and currently makes $300k at UF. We pay Cheese $425k and a lot of banter lately has indicated there may be some personality conflict with him.

Link or source?

No link, I just have a friend who works in the AD who knows their stuff and is pretty reliable...

Why does everyone think Muschamp is a great D coordinator? His Texas defenses got worse the longer he was there. He was blown out by GA while he was at Auburn. He has better athletes at Florida and they aren't exactly lights out. I think we can do a lot better than him!

2012 he had a better D than UA if I believe

2014 he's done fairly well or as well as you're gonna do without a competent O...that game against Alabama was an anomaly (that he caused by continuing to leave Driskel in the entire game)

Archived