The Issue Defensively

Weegle777

I'd just love to see our defensive coordinator actually coach from the sidelines. I don't see passion in our defense, and its no surprise because I never see it from our defensive staff. Lets bring a guy in who like Malzahn, calls plays from the sideline and is a psycho about his craft. I don't really understand why people are reluctant to the idea of bringing Muschamp in, because that is exactly what he would bring. Look at Smart and Pruitt...it bothers me that CEJ is up in the booth and isn't there to interact with players or coaches during the game.

That's the biggest difference from when I saw the last dominant AU defense. Muschamp fired up on the sidelines chest bumping players showing lots of emotion and passion. Don't get that with EJ

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd just love to see our defensive coordinator actually coach from the sidelines. I don't see passion in our defense, and its no surprise because I never see it from our defensive staff. Lets bring a guy in who like Malzahn, calls plays from the sideline and is a psycho about his craft. I don't really understand why people are reluctant to the idea of bringing Muschamp in, because that is exactly what he would bring. Look at Smart and Pruitt...it bothers me that CEJ is up in the booth and isn't there to interact with players or coaches during the game.

Has he always coached from the booth? Maybe he needs to see the whole field to call his defenses properly (lol @ properly the 2nd half of the season). I don't think it would make a difference if he's in the booth or on the field though. Taking him out of his comfort zone will not make the defense better. Chances are it would make it worse.

Has he always coached from the booth? Maybe he needs to see the whole field to call his defenses properly (lol @ properly the 2nd half of the season). I don't think it would make a difference if he's in the booth or on the field though. Taking him out of his comfort zone will not make the defense better. Chances are it would make it worse.

This - He is comfortable in the booth - so is John Chavis and many other DCs. Why change that at this point in the season?

Does anyone know what kind of D Sumlin likes to run? 3-4? 4-3? 4-2-5?

I don't even know what kind of D Malzhan likes to run. :dunno:/>

He runs the 4-At least hold them to 21points and we will outscore them-2-5 defense.

This - He is comfortable in the booth - so is John Chavis and many other DCs. Why change that at this point in the season?

I didn't mean to infer that Ellis should come down to the sideline. Clearly that is what he is comfortable with. I just wish we had a DC that was more comfortable on the sideline because I believe that translates better to college players on the field. Ellis is not a rah rah guy, and if a change at DC is not what we need at the end of the season, lets at least get some coaches on the sidelines who are going to be more active. I don't see it from our players on defense and I don't see it from our coaches, so we need to find it somewhere.

I'm behind a Muschamp hire....then we'd have two Coach Booms on the sidelines. ..it's a no-brainer. WDE

You know, this one wasn't on the defense. We stopped UGA on 4 of their first 5 drives, but special teams gave the ball right back on a muffed punt and a roughing the kicker penalty. Even with all that, we still were only down 17-7 at the half. The offense literally did NOTHING to help out, putting a tired defense back out there time and time again. Be upset with them for some missed tackles and the A&M game. But this is a different game without those dumb special teams plays, the dropped passes and utter lack of execution on offense.

You can't blame the Offense. It is never the Offense's fault. They scored 7 points. The Defense should have held them to 6 points.

You know, this one wasn't on the defense. We stopped UGA on 4 of their first 5 drives, but special teams gave the ball right back on a muffed punt and a roughing the kicker penalty. Even with all that, we still were only down 17-7 at the half. The offense literally did NOTHING to help out, putting a tired defense back out there time and time again. Be upset with them for some missed tackles and the A&M game. But this is a different game without those dumb special teams plays, the dropped passes and utter lack of execution on offense.

You can't blame the Offense. It is never the Offense's fault. They scored 7 points. The Defense should have held them to 6 points.

It was a conservative game plan. I saw that in the first drive - eat clock and keep the ball out of Todd Gurley's hands. It was designed to fail because the offense is at its best when running up tempo and we've all but abandoned that.

Does anyone know what kind of D Sumlin likes to run? 3-4? 4-3? 4-2-5?

I don't even know what kind of D Malzhan likes to run. :dunno:

Malzhan does not need a Defenses. His Offenses is so great and since he has Marshall "the golden boy does no wrong" at QB, why would he need a Defense!

I get tired of the defensive coordinator getting all of the blame. At some point the players have to be held accountable for their bad play. Blame the player who misses a tackle or the player that did not play with the intensity that is needed in a rivalry game. These players get a pat on the back when they do good or bad. It is time for some of them to get kicked in the tail and man up. If they can not tackle or look scared to tackle then find someone that can. Placing all the blame on the DC is getting OLD! When the Offense plays bad do we here anyone being blamed? When was the last time Marshall was blamed for bad play?

I get tired of the defensive coordinator getting all of the blame. At some point the players have to be held accountable for their bad play. Blame the player who misses a tackle or the player that did not play with the intensity that is needed in a rivalry game. These players get a pat on the back when they do good or bad. It is time for some of them to get kicked in the tail and man up. If they can not tackle or look scared to tackle then find someone that can. Placing all the blame on the DC is getting OLD! When the Offense plays bad do we here anyone being blamed? When was the last time Marshall was blamed for bad play?

But, this is the difference between an elite defense and an average or poor defense. Tell me the last time you saw a Bama Safety or CB miss a tackle or be out of position and played the snap after. It won't happen, because you have 3-5 5* players ready to take their place instantly. And Saban won't tolerate that - neither will Smart.

Why is it acceptable to not have the same mindset here? It is on the coaching and that starts with coaching right there. And you can't tell me well, we don't have the depth. Well, that should be addressed through coaching.

Look for wholesale staff changes after the season, including offensive coaches. A lot of turmoil I'm hearing among the coaches in general...

I'm for this. I'm still behind Gus in a huge way. Gotta get ahead of the issues before we get in a situation where we feel we have to throw the baby out with the bath water. That would be a tragedy.

Look for wholesale staff changes after the season, including offensive coaches. A lot of turmoil I'm hearing among the coaches in general...

Source? Names of coaches?

"If they can not tackle or look scared to tackle then find someone that can. "

Isn't that the coaches job?

Oh I recall several times that Nick has received criticism for bad play, especially early in the season. There were questions concerning his play on the goal line fumble against A&M. Receivers are called out for not catching balls or even outright drops. O line has been called out. Running backs have been called out. Every position on the team, offense and defense, has been called out for bad play.

NO to muschamp...

Agreed, We can do better.

Like who? Muschamp is proven and his D at Texas sucked because of Slack Brown and culture down there. Diaz and Chizik sucked at Texas to. At the end of the day we won't get a good proven DC, matter of fact we will most likely keep what we got.

"If they can not tackle or look scared to tackle then find someone that can. "

Isn't that the coaches job?

Yes, that is the coaches job to replace the player that can't do the job. Should the Head Coach not step in and do something? I place more blame on the head coach than the coordinator.

Source? Names of coaches?

As I said earlier, I have friend in the AD who is one of the most trustworthy and reliable people I know. And I can't give out names by the way. All I can say is what I've said, that there will be multiple coaching changes at the end of the season...

NO to muschamp...

Agreed, We can do better.

Like who? Muschamp is proven and his D at Texas sucked because of Slack Brown and culture down there. Diaz and Chizik sucked at Texas to. At the end of the day we won't get a good proven DC, matter of fact we will most likely keep what we got.

Like David Gibbs?

Oh I recall several times that Nick has received criticism for bad play, especially early in the season. There were questions concerning his play on the goal line fumble against A&M. Receivers are called out for not catching balls or even outright drops. O line has been called out. Running backs have been called out. Every position on the team, offense and defense, has been called out for bad play.

It just seems the Offense get a pass. When I try to blame the O, I get back lash from AU fans. It seems that CEJ is the easiest to blame. Malzahn is an Offensive Genius so let's blame the DC for all the teams faults. Sorry for the rants, but it is embarrassing to be an AU fan when the WHOLE TEAM does not play with heart, and I blame the HEAD COACH.

I watched the bama game and payed particular attention to their defensive line, linebackers, and safeties. I compared our dline, backers, and safeties and it is absolutely night and day, not in talent, but in positional DISCIPLINE.

Not only did bama's dline keep gap assignment, but they managed to get enough penetration to disrupt Dak and his decision making ability. Bama's LB group never allowed themselves to get caught out of position or get swallowed up in the play. Safeties were very disciplined.

It seems to me that our guys get caught out of position and seem to lose assignment integrity more often than not. That is coaching boys, just coaching.

We have the talent, no doubt about that. It just seems that our players either aren't very smart, (which I don't believe), or our defensive coaches aren't getting it done.

Just my opinion. Bama has better talent, better strength and conditioning and better coaching. Don't kid yourself.

It just seems the Offense get a pass. When I try to blame the O, I get back lash from AU fans. It seems that CEJ is the easiest to blame. Malzahn is an Offensive Genius so let's blame the DC for all the teams faults. Sorry for the rants, but it is embarrassing to be an AU fan when the WHOLE TEAM does not play with heart, and I blame the HEAD COACH.

The offense has not lived up to its potential, I agree. Matter of fact neither has the special teams nor defense, they have both been Horrible, this is a HC problem. I have faith that Gus will realize the mistakes and adjust. We have to get that nasty streak back like we had when we were hungry last year. Time to push harder not get softer.

You must have missed the conversation early in the season, especially following the KSU game. Yeah some people won't blame the offense for anything and we have some that up until the A&M game wouldn't criticize the defense.

Archived