1983/1984 compared to 2013/2014

hutchids

I noticed that we have a lot of older fans on hear, so I thought I'd ask you if how you felt watching the 1983/1984 seasons play out compared to our last two seasons, 2013 and 2014.

For those of you who don't know about these seasons, in 1983, just like in 2013, we were supposed to be mediocre at best both years, but ended up with an sec title each year and almost won the natty each year.

In 1984, just like in 2014, we start highly ranked and are considered national title/playoff contenders but end up falling short of those goals by midish season. In 1984 we finished 9-4, won the liberty bowl and finished ranked. We are looking at a similar year this year.

Man, I hate that I'm being referred to as an older fan now :-\ . I was at AU in that time period and the feel is pretty similar-lots of talent on the '84 and'14 teams but just don't have that "it" factor really great teams do. All the more reason to appreciate those special years and not take them for granted (or necessarily expect them every year like some fan bases).

Man, I hate that I'm being referred to as an older fan now :-\/> . I was at AU in that time period and the feel is pretty similar-lots of talent on the '84 and'14 teams but just don't have that "it" factor really great teams do. All the more reason to appreciate those special years and not take them for granted (or necessarily expect them every year like some fan bases).

Older, not old. Im just a ignant young guy :)

I wonder if this is the year that Dye said he tried to pick up where we left off instead of starting the way we started? Meaning a tough as nails spring and treating the team as if every position was open. I think it might have been. He learned, so can Gus.

How did 1985 go

AFTER AU lost all the star players from 83 and 84, they went 8-4 (?) in 1985. I believe they went 10-2 after the rebuilding year, but I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm wrong :)

How did 1985 go

AFTER AU lost all the star players from 83 and 84, they went 8-4 (?) in 1985. I believe they went 10-2 after the rebuilding year, but I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm wrong :)/>

8-4 in 1985 losing to the #4,#5,#6, and #13 teams in the country. This was the year of the Tiffin field goal in the Iron Bowl.

My recollection was that expectations were very high in '83. I was stunned by the loss to TX that year.

The next year we opened up against Miami and TX and lost both, tempering the season.

We followed that with 3 ten win seasons and 1 nine win, back when you only played 12 games. Maybe we are on the precipice of another run like that.

My recollection was that expectations were very high in '83. I was stunned by the loss to TX that year.

The next year we opened up against Miami and TX and lost both, tempering the season.

We followed that with 3 ten win seasons and 1 nine win, back when you only played 12 games. Maybe we are on the precipice of another run like that.

Yea, I remember those TX games too.

Do not mention 84. I still have visions of THAT Iron Bowl...

If I remember correctly, Auburn was supposed to do well in 83 and I believe we were the pre season #1 team in the country. Of course we got screwed in 83 and in 84 we lost our first two games of the season.

Also reminds me of the 1989/1990 seasons. Won another SEC title in 1989, and then came into 1990 with very high expectations. They got as high as number 2 in the polls, and then went to Gainesville and got absolutely crushed. They then lost to Southern Miss the next week, and then were defeated by the Turds 16-7 in Stallings' first Iron Bowl. They finished 8-3-1.

I noticed that we have a lot of older fans on hear, so I thought I'd ask you if how you felt watching the 1983/1984 seasons play out compared to our last two seasons, 2013 and 2014.

For those of you who don't know about these seasons, in 1983, just like in 2013, we were supposed to be mediocre at best both years, but ended up with an sec title each year and almost won the natty each year.

In 1984, just like in 2014, we start highly ranked and are considered national title/playoff contenders but end up falling short of those goals by midish season. In 1984 we finished 9-4, won the liberty bowl and finished ranked. We are looking at a similar year this year.

'83/'84 bears no resemblance whatsoever.

The '82 team was the surprise of the SEC that year. Lost to number 1, Herschel Walker led, uga 14-19, beat bamr the following week, then manhandled the wonder boy Doug Flutie and Boston College in the old Tangerine bowl. Finishing 9-3

With that finish Auburn started the '83 season ranked 4th in the country where the 2013 team was nowhere to be found in the rankings at the beginning of the '13 campaign.

The '84 Auburn team began the season ranked #1 in the country. Then flopped around against defending champion Miami in the Kickoff Classic, getting beat 20-18. And lost to Texas the next game. So that Auburn team was out of the running for the NC after two weeks. This current Auburn team, while not playing up to our expectations, was in the NC hunt until the loss to uga, 10 weeks into the season.

I'll take as many runs of '82 to '89 as you can dial up. You do that often enough and you'll fall into National titles from time to time. To me that was the time in Auburn history when you knew you had a shot in every game, and most time when you lost, you knew the other team wouldn't want to play a 5th quarter. Tough, physical teams in all phases of the game.

Guest jojo1515

1984 Defense

Gave up over 30 3 times all season or 25 percent of the time

Held the opponent under 20 7 times or 58 percent of the time

1984 Offense

Scored over 30 4 times or 30 percent of the time

Held under 30 9 times or 70 percent of the time

2014 Defense

Gave up over 30 5 straight or 50 percent of the time

Held the opponent under 20 3 times or 30 percent of the time

2014 Offense

Scored over 30 7 times or 70 percent of the time

Held under 30 3 times or 30 percent of the time

Judging by the numbers I'd say the 2014 team and the 1984 are almost exact opposites

'83/'84 bears no resemblance whatsoever.

The '82 team was the surprise of the SEC that year. Lost to number 1, Herschel Walker led, uga 14-19, beat bamr the following week, then manhandled the wonder boy Doug Flutie and Boston College in the old Tangerine bowl. Finishing 9-3

With that finish Auburn started the '83 season ranked 4th in the country where the 2013 team was nowhere to be found in the rankings at the beginning of the '13 campaign.

The '84 Auburn team began the season ranked #1 in the country. Then flopped around against defending champion Miami in the Kickoff Classic, getting beat 20-18. And lost to Texas the next game. So that Auburn team was out of the running for the NC after two weeks. This current Auburn team, while not playing up to our expectations, was in the NC hunt until the loss to uga, 10 weeks into the season.

I learned something about the 1982 season and how it effected the starting expectations 1983 season. Thanks for sharing

How did 1985 go

AFTER AU lost all the star players from 83 and 84, they went 8-4 (?) in 1985. I believe they went 10-2 after the rebuilding year, but I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm wrong :)/>

8-4 in 1985 losing to the #4,#5,#6, and #13 teams in the country. This was the year of the Tiffin field goal in the Iron Bowl.

I hope 2015 is different....

Guest jojo1515

How did 1985 go

I hope 2015 is different....

How could it not be different? Your favorite qb will be playing (if he even wins the job of course) :)

Archived