Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

Johnson fired as Auburn DC

@PMARSHONAU

ellisjohnson_presser.jpg

Auburn's Gus Malzahn in a statement: “At this time I felt it was best for our program to make a change with our defensive coordinator."

“Ellis (Johnson) is a true professional and I would like to thank him for his contributions at Auburn.”

Ellis Johnson in statement released by Auburn: “This is part of the business and I totally understand."

Ellis Johnson statement cont.: "I did think we were good in several areas, but overall it wasn’t good enough."

Johnson: "I’m disappointed for our players, but this is a results business. I want to thank Coach Malzahn & Auburn for … the last 2 years.”

@AUBlog

Interestingly ...

Source says AU held a full team meeting at 2 p.m. local time. Nothing was mentioned about Ellis Johnson's status.

Source says AU players found out about Johnson's firing through social media networks....

@wareagleextra

Some players react ...

I'm am thankful for coach Johnson's time here at AU and appreciate everything I have learned from him while he was hear.

@carllawson14

Wow ...

@Trigga_Tray28 S Tray Matthews

Say what you want! Ellis Johnson is a DEFENSIVE GURU & he showed his players love! Enjoyed being under his wing this year. Made me better!!!

@_Davis_Boy12

Great coach even better man. I'm going to miss you Coach J. The first coach to give me a opportunity to showcase my skills at star #thankyou

@JustinGarrett26

Recruits react ...

Hope our class still sticks together through this

@AyeyoKEJO RB Kerryon Johnson

Wonder who the next DC will be for Auburn

@R_Mcbryde15

Coach Johnson will be extremely missed , I kno I'm still on this Gus bus doe

@Og_smxx: Jordan Colbert

McBryde also told 247Sportshe was "pretty sure I'm sticking with Auburn," but that he was anxious to see who Auburn hired to replace Johnson.

"I'm kind of surprised, but at the same time it's a business," he said. "I guess they're trying to change and win. He's a good coach."

http://www.al.com/sp...gly_to_aub.html

Oh and then there's this lovely tidbit ...

Some things to keep in mind re: Auburn's DC opening. AU still owes Johnson roughly $2.2 mill on his contract that paid him thru June 2017.

@AUBlog

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we all figured this was coming. Now the question is who will be the replacement. I hate it for coach Ellis. He is a fine man and perhaps circumstances just conspired against him. Wish him well in whatever he does from here on.

I'd like for it to be Paul Rhodes again. He has a bad rap cause of the abysmal 2008 offense that always put his defense in bad positions, but that was a great defense. Plus he's huge on fundamentals, which is what we need right now.

Would love to have some new fire (as in enthusiasm) on the sideline for the bowl game - just not sure a hire can be made that quick and be in place. Would rather take a little more time for the right hire, as the bowl, is not as critical as the long term success of the program.

By the way, since the athletic budget seems to be hemorrhaging money, maybe we can sign a guy to a reasonable contract with some incentives and prove the guy before we go blow another 900k a year on yet another disaster.

Well we all figured this was coming. Now the question is who will be the replacement. I hate it for coach Ellis. He is a fine man and perhaps circumstances just conspired against him. Wish him well in whatever he does from here on.

No circumstances...I just think the game may have passed him by a bit...but I agree he is a fine man and great teacher. Kinda reminds me of Monte Kiffin in his last years as a DC...

Archived