Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever is hired I hope he can bring in his own staff

I would think that someone like Muschamp would definitely want to see what he has to work with and evaluate the current position coaches and rearrange things or maybe bring in new people to a spot or two.

If Ellis is out this fast Im certain Gus has someone ready my first thought is Muschamp.

The quick decision shows the decisive many posters wanted Gus to show, that the defensive level of performance was not acceptable. I doubt he already has someone ready, although he probably has a short list and to do things the right way, will now be making contact with other head coaches/ADs to talk with a member of their staff about an open position on his staff.

Well we all figured this was coming. Now the question is who will be the replacement. I hate it for coach Ellis. He is a fine man and perhaps circumstances just conspired against him. Wish him well in whatever he does from here on.

No circumstances...I just think the game may have passed him by a bit...but I agree he is a fine man and great teacher. Kinda reminds me of Monte Kiffin in his last years as a DC...

Monte Kiffin is still coaching for the Dallas Cowboys.

Hiring Muschamp would give a shot of life to our recruiting. It would be a huge steal, so long as his personality meshes with Gus's.

Can Malzahn and Muschamp's personalities mesh?

I think so. Gus isn't going to interfere with the defense so in reality there shouldn't be any issues. Gus is the boss and Muschamp knows that so he'll be fine. He's never been a distraction really when he was being the DC.

I'm sad because I like Coach Johnson and he's always conducted himself with class and humility. I think he loves our guys too. But two years of mediocre to terrible defense and losing the Iron Bowl when your offense scores 44 will do it every time.

Well we all figured this was coming. Now the question is who will be the replacement. I hate it for coach Ellis. He is a fine man and perhaps circumstances just conspired against him. Wish him well in whatever he does from here on.

No circumstances...I just think the game may have passed him by a bit...but I agree he is a fine man and great teacher. Kinda reminds me of Monte Kiffin in his last years as a DC...

Monte Kiffin is still coaching for the Dallas Cowboys.

He's not running the defense though. He is like an advisor or something along that line. Rod Marinelli is the DC.

Thoughts on Garner as DC? Or is he a part of the problem?

It can't be any member of the current staff. Garner has had his own troubles along the line this year. That is just a chance you can't take right now. Gus whiffs on this one and it will cost him his job.

I remember saying this a month ago and got blasted! Well looks like I do know what I'm talking about.

I'm sad because I like Coach Johnson and he's always conducted himself with class and humility. I think he loves our guys too. But two years of mediocre to terrible defense and losing the Iron Bowl when your offense scores 44 will do it every time.

I do too. He didn't just forget how to coach. For whatever reason, it just didn't work out here for him. I wish him the best and hope Malzahn does his due diligence and hires the best available option to fit Auburn and what we stand for.

Guest jojo1515

I almost hoped for the iron bowl to go the way it went. A great offense performance with another abysmal defensive performance was what was needed to EJ out the door. I said almost....still would have rather won

Thoughts on Garner as DC? Or is he a part of the problem?

I don't think he is part of the problem. I also think we need to get an established/proven DC. I do hope Garner is the only coach we keep on that side of the ball.

We also need to make a change with the special teams coaching, Imo. If you are going to clean things up, you might as well vacuum under the couch.

Archived