Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will definitely be someone on the outside and not from the current staff. It will be interesting to see who, if any, are retained

Thoughts on Garner as DC? Or is he a part of the problem?

I don't think he is part of the problem. I also think we need to get an established/proven DC. I do hope Garner is the only coach we keep on that side of the ball.

We also need to make a change with the special teams coaching, Imo. If you are going to clean things up, you might as well vacuum under the couch.

I think the new DC will get to make changes to the defensive staff, if he so desires. That could be anything from new responsibilities to people being fired. Someone has to take over the linebacker position. Shannon already does that. Boom has generally been a secondary coach as far as positions go.

What is the defense more suited to transition to (3/4, 4/3...etc ) if a 4-2-5 coordinator isn't brought in as a replacement for Ellis?

My thought is bring in new scheme quickly. If we start to learn now, we get game experience already, and if it's a mess, it was going to be our offense that had to win the game anyways.

It's more important to get the right person than it is to get them quickly.

My thought is bring in new scheme quickly. If we start to learn now, we get game experience already, and if it's a mess, it was going to be our offense that had to win the game anyways.

It's more important to get the right person than it is to get them quickly.

^^^true, was thinking more of if we know who we want, it would be good to get him in and get to work, but the latter is also good.

This happened really fast and great timing too... Now 2 openings for DC's in the SEC and possibly USC's (not sure) but our program is definitely the most attractive. Muschamp seems to be a perfect choice and I think Malzahn knows that. No doubt he will talk to him, and then it will just go from there. I would like Gus to try and talk to Tracy Rocker and see if he may show some interest in coming back. I like CRG but if we can get Rocker back, I like that better.

Perhaps someone that had already coached their last game?.....

If Jacobs and Muschamp can kiss and make up, I think it is a possibility. Time to spend some money on whomever we get.

This happened really fast and great timing too... Now 2 openings for DC's in the SEC and possibly USC's (not sure) but our program is definitely the most attractive. Muschamp seems to be a perfect choice and I think Malzahn knows that. No doubt he will talk to him, and then it will just go from there. I would like Gus to try and talk to Tracy Rocker and see if he may show some interest in coming back. I like CRG but if we can get Rocker back, I like that better.

Get the coordinator first and then make any changes to position coaches.

Well we all figured this was coming. Now the question is who will be the replacement. I hate it for coach Ellis. He is a fine man and perhaps circumstances just conspired against him. Wish him well in whatever he does from here on.

No circumstances...I just think the game may have passed him by a bit...but I agree he is a fine man and great teacher. Kinda reminds me of Monte Kiffin in his last years as a DC...

Monte Kiffin is still coaching for the Dallas Cowboys.

In what capacity...rod marinelli is the DC at least I thougt he was

Whomever, it needs to be an up and coming guy who has some experience. Gus is innovative on offense and we need that on defense as well. So it may be someone who has shown adaptability to the faster offenses but can still handle run heavy teams.

Can Malzahn and Muschamp's personalities mesh?

If kiffin and Saban can get along anyone can

LOL very true. That may blow up yet. Kiffin knows he has to toe the line to give himself a shot at being a HC again but how long can he hold himself back?

@TravHaneyESPN: I've been told there's mutual interest between Malzahn and Muschamp. Would be a formidable pair

This would be epic

this would be the best position for a recently fired HC to get his resume rebuilt as a DC for another shot down the road. we have room for improvement and i think we have athletes.

Bo pelini. His defenses are great, with some exceptions like that terrible big 10 title game against wisky. His fire is great too. He will not tolerate what we saw last week and im sure players will fear letting him down.

Well we all figured this was coming. Now the question is who will be the replacement. I hate it for coach Ellis. He is a fine man and perhaps circumstances just conspired against him. Wish him well in whatever he does from here on.

No circumstances...I just think the game may have passed him by a bit...but I agree he is a fine man and great teacher. Kinda reminds me of Monte Kiffin in his last years as a DC...

Monte Kiffin is still coaching for the Dallas Cowboys.

In what capacity...rod marinelli is the DC at least I thougt he was

He is. Monte has the title of Assistant Head Coach/Defense. I think he acts like an adviser or something like that.

Archived