3-4-4 Defense Possibilities

Fricking Ray

I was simply pointing out that if we don't get Muschamp the other "leading" candidates are 3-4-4 guys. I don't see how we make the transition either. We simply don't have the depth at LB or the right type of players to run that defense.

Odom runs the 3-4-4

Clark runs the 3-4-4 and doesn't like Auburn very much

Pelini is certifiable.

If we don't get Muschamp it isn't looking too good if those really are the three canidates.

Adams is the complete opposite of a 3-4 NT. He can not play that position, nor would you want him to.

Huh? Mo lined up on the nose in CEJ's 4-2-5 many times.

Lawson would be a LB in a 3-4. He is not a 3-4 DE.

Agree with this. As athletic as Lawson is, he would project as a Jack LB in a 3-4.

However, I think Lawson has what it takes to be a DE in an NFL 4-3, so I hope we stay in a four-man front.

I don't think there is anyway we can move to a 3-4 next year. We don't have the right guys. It has already been said, but we definitely don't have the NT position and I would question whether we have the OLB positions. Maybe I am wrong there, but usually your OLB in a 3-4 are more agile and a little smaller and definitely quicker than your ILB. If that is the case then do we have that in Swain, Williams, etc? I was under the impression they were more of the McKinzy type players.

Most 4-3 (and 4-2-5) teams designate one of their DTs as an NT, and line that NT up in either a 0 or 1 technique.

I do not know if we designate one DT position as a NT or not. I remember Angelo Blackson lined up in a 0 technique (and getting an off-sides penalty) in one game. Mo Adams and Blackson are listed as 1 and 2 for one DT in our current D.

No team has enough practice time to implement multiple systems like that. Jack of all trades, master of none.

To think we could possibly play 3 different defenses would be asinine. Also, we just don't have the personnel for the 3-4. The 4-3 is the way to go. At least we have the bodies and just need to get a few more linebackers for depth purposes.

There is a difference between lining up in a 3,4, or 5 man front and running a completely different defense. Multiple defenses are very common in college football today, and you will see many teams utilize all of these during one game - even on one drive. Also, the 3-4 is very versatile and actually has it's roots in the 5-2 (OLBs just stand up instead of putting hands down). Also, many "3-4" teams will run four man fronts 30-40% of the time.

I'm not saying it's easy for players to learn or execute, but saying "we need to run a 4-3" or "we need to run a 3-4" isn't really relevant anymore. Many teams incorporate all of the above and more, and do so successfully.

Exactly. Bammer considered a 3-4 team but they are lining up in 4 and 5 man fronts a lot. They just have outstanding athletes and are very well coached so they transition pretty seamlessly.

Agree. Bammer had four guys hands down many times this year. In one game this year (I think it was MSU), the TV announcers actually listed the starters as four DLs, two LBs, and five DBs.

Most teams effectively have two base defenses. A seven man front for traditional running opponents, and a defined nickel package for spread opponents.

We wouldn't be able to recruit top notch NT right away. We would get stuck with the kids traditional 3-4 defenses don't take.

Is Daron Payne a 3-4 NT type?

The thing I remember about Muschamp is that he wanted the versatility to be able to switch from 4-3 to 3-4 without substituting…which we had the players to do at the time. He also wanted big, fast linebackers…not those Williams sized linebackers that Tubs loved to recruit.

We wouldn't be able to recruit top notch NT right away. We would get stuck with the kids traditional 3-4 defenses don't take.

Is Daron Payne a 3-4 NT type?

The thing I remember about Muschamp is that he wanted the versatility to be able to switch from 4-3 to 3-4 without substituting…which we had the players to do at the time. He also wanted big, fast linebackers…not those Williams sized linebackers that Tubs loved to recruit.

possibly I think he's around 340 but I don't know what scheme he plays in hs. I just feel like quality nts are hard to come by. I see your point about Payne but I don't feel like he's the norm.

Archived