New York Grand Jury Does Not Indict Officer in Choking Death

icanthearyou

http://news.yahoo.co...-200545534.html

A grand jury cleared a white New York City police officer Wednesday in the videotaped chokehold death of an unarmed black man who had been stopped on suspicion of selling loose, untaxed cigarettes, a lawyer for the victim's family said.

The decision in Staten Island not to indict Officer Daniel Pantaleo threatened to add to the tensions that have simmered in the city since the July 17 death of Eric Garner - a case that sparked outrage and drew comparisons to the fatal police shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

Jonathan Moore, an attorney for Garner's family, said he was told of the grand jury's decision.

"I am actually astonished based on the evidence of the video tape, and the medical examiner, that this grand jury at this time wouldn't indict for anything, is really just astonishing," Moore said.

The Staten Island District Attorney's office didn't immediately respond to a call. There was no immediate comment from Pantaleo's attorney nor the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, a union that has strongly backed the officer.

The grand jury could have considered a range of charges, from murder to a lesser offense such as reckless endangerment.

A video shot by an onlooker and widely viewed on the Internet showed the 43-year-old Garner telling a group of police officers to leave him alone as they tried to arrest him.

Pantaleo responded by wrapping his arm around Garner's neck in an apparent chokehold, which is banned under NYPD policy. The heavyset Garner, who had asthma, was heard repeatedly gasping, "I can't breathe!" A second video surfaced that showed police and paramedics appearing to make no effort to revive Garner while he lay motionless on the ground. He later died at a hospital.

As with Brown's death in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, the Garner case sparked protests, accusations of racist policing and calls for federal prosecutors to intervene. But unlike the Missouri protests, the demonstrations in New York remained mostly peaceful. The case also prompted Police Commissioner William Bratton to order officers at the nation's largest police department to undergo retraining on use of force.

The medical examiner ruled Garner's death a homicide and found that a chokehold contributed to it. A forensic pathologist hired by Garner's family, Dr. Michael Baden, agreed with those findings, saying there was hemorrhaging on Garner's neck indicative of neck compressions.

Police union officials and Pantaleo's lawyer have argued that the officer used a takedown move taught by the police department, not a chokehold, because he was resisting arrest and that Garner's poor health was the main reason he died.

While details on the grand jurors were not disclosed, Staten Island is the most politically conservative of the city's five boroughs and home to many police and firefighters. The panel began hearing evidence in late September, including the video, autopsy results and testimony by Pantaleo.

Pantaleo had been stripped of his gun and badge and placed on desk duty while the case was under investigation. He is likely to remain on modified duty while the NYPD conducts an internal investigation that could result in administrative charges.

In anticipation of the announcement on the grand jury decision, police officials met with community leaders on Staten Island to head off a repeat of the response in Ferguson, where a grand jury decided not to indict the white officer who shot the black teen. Demonstrations there turned violent, resulting in more than 100 arrests and destruction of 12 commercial buildings by fire.

The last officer to be indicted in the death of a civilian was Richard Haste, charged in the February 2012 killing of Ramarley Graham in the Bronx. Graham was shot in a tiny bathroom in the three-family home where he lived with his grandmother. He was chased there by Haste who believed he was selling drugs.

Haste said he fired his weapon because he thought he was going to be shot. But no weapons were found in the apartment.

The officer was indicted on manslaughter charges in the summer of 2012, but the charges were dismissed by a judge who said prosecutors improperly instructed the grand jurors. A second grand jury decided not to re-indict the officer.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we gots to get those highly dangerous cigarette dealers off the street. Even if it means choking the life out of them. sarc off

§ 125.15 Manslaughter in the second degree.

A person is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree when:

1. He recklessly causes the death of another person; or

2. He commits upon a female an abortional act which causes her death,

unless such abortional act is justifiable pursuant to subdivision three

of section 125.05; or

3. He intentionally causes or aids another person to commit suicide.

Manslaughter in the second degree is a class C felony.

Homicide is cool as long as you're on the right team...

I have a busy evening planned. I heard that the wrong rev Sharpton is having a press conf. in Harlem. Does anyone know what time? I want to get my popcorn and watch the looting,thieving,burning,rioting, etc.....Do they have to wait for al and jesse to set the time to start the festivities?

I have a busy evening planned. I heard that the wrong rev Sharpton is having a press conf. in Harlem. Does anyone know what time? I want to get my popcorn and watch the looting,thieving,burning,rioting, etc.....Do they have to wait for al and jesse to set the time to start the festivities?

WTF does race have to do with this!!! He was choked to death over a freaking tax law violation! He was pleading for his life as he was saying over and over "I CANT BREATHE!" Way to make light of it. http://youtu.be/j1ka4oKu1jo

WT, the good part is it gets old tax avoider Al back to NY. It's interesting that some think it's OK for a person to commit a crime knowing there is a high risk of getting hurt in the process or after the fact by law enforcement.

WT, the good part is it gets old tax avoider Al back to NY. It's interesting that some think it's OK for a person to commit a crime knowing there is a high risk of getting hurt in the process or after the fact by law enforcement.

Give me a break. I guess next time I'm pulled over for a busted tail light, I should just expect the cop to walk right up to my door and put me in a choke hold! I mean I did just break the law right! Why write a ticket, let's go full on WWF!

All I said was there WILL BE looting-robbing-rioting etc. sharpton WILL make it about race. And you know it. That is what he and jesse and the WH and holder WILL do....

I hate this man died. he did not seem like a bad or aggressive man. he was appearantly breaking a law but not posing a threat to anyone. However if he had simply complied with the officers he would not have been choked. Put your damn hands behind your back and let your lawyer argue your case. I agree on the no indictment. I also agree on the retraining. I don't see it as racism.

WTF does race have to do with this!!! He was choked to death over a freaking tax law violation! He was pleading for his life as he was saying over and over "I CANT BREATHE!" Way to make light of it. http://youtu.be/j1ka4oKu1jo

Be sure to listen to typical lib sharpton tonite from Harlem. He will explain to you that it is about race....at least according to his gospel...

WTF does race have to do with this!!! He was choked to death over a freaking tax law violation! He was pleading for his life as he was saying over and over "I CANT BREATHE!" Way to make light of it.

http://youtu.be/j1ka4oKu1jo

Be sure to listen to typical lib sharpton tonite from Harlem. He will explain to you that it is about race....at least according to his gospel...

Bingo. Al and holder ALWAYS make it about race. It's what they do. They're race baiters and race hustlers. These people will fan the flames for their own personal and political benefit. They hell with what may happen to innocent blacks in poor neighborhoods. They are just cannon fodder anyway.

The man was unarmed.

The chokehold is banned by NYPD because something like this can happen.

The coroner ruled it a homicide.

The entire incident is on video.

The man was not a violent criminal. The chokehold was put on him before he did anything. He is clearly gasping and struggling to tell them he can't breathe.

There is no defending this. Sharpton has nothing to do with it. It's not about race baiters. This is not the Michael Brown situation. It was completely unwarranted. How on God's green earth is this sort of thing ok and doesn't warrant a trial?

The man was unarmed.

The man was not a violent criminal. The chokehold was put on him before he did anything. He is clearly gasping and struggling to tell them he can't breathe.

There is no defending this. Sharpton has nothing to do with it. It's not about race baiters. This is not the Michael Brown situation. It was completely unwarranted. How on God's green earth is this sort of thing ok and doesn't warrant a trial?

I agree with this.

And I will add, anyone who wants to make this about Al Sharpton, is just as bad as Al Sharpton.

Got to love the extremist conservatives and their hypocricy. Cliven Bundy should fight the law but this guy should just shut his mouth and put his hands behind his back.

The man was unarmed.

It doesn't matter to Holder or Sharpton whether it was justified or not. That part is irrelevant to them. Whether the cops were right or wrong according to the law does not enter into their equation. Actual justice is not what they are about. Those two will turn anything and everything into a Michael Brown situation. To him it's always about race, whether it actually was or not. I'm not making any statement on the case itself or whether the cops should or should not have been charge. It looks bad to me. I will say that much.

The man was unarmed.

It doesn't matter to Holder or Sharpton whether it was justified or not. That part is irrelevant to them. Whether the cops were right or wrong according to the law does not enter into their equation. Actual justice is not what they are about. Those two will turn anything and everything into a Michael Brown situation. To him it's always about race, whether it actually was or not. I'm not making any statement on the case itself or whether the cops should or should not have been charge. It looks bad to me. I will say that much.

What's irrelevant to this issue is Sharpton or Holder. What is relevant is the fricked up judicial system in Long Island that would fail to indict this officer for choking a man to death over some damn untaxed cigarettes.

Those who are so sure of themselves in this case need to accept the FACT that no one here has all the evidence the grand jury had so how can anyone agree or disagree with them. I bet no one here has at this point even bothered to read the transcript released to the public. So anyone calling anybody else or a group hypocritical is the biggest hypocrite of all.

The man was unarmed.

You don't get it. This really isn't about politics. This is much bigger. This is about who we are. This is about a man losing his life at the hand of the government that represents us. It is about us objectively looking at the circumstances and deciding if that is what we stand for. This isn't about race. This isn't about Sharpton. This is more fundamental.

The man was unarmed.

What's irrelevant to this issue is Sharpton or Holder. What is relevant is the fricked up judicial system in Long Island that would fail to indict this officer for choking a man to death over some damn untaxed cigarettes.

this choking should not have happened but it was not over cigarettes. it was resisting arrest. get that straight at least.

The man was unarmed.

I understand that perfectly Titan and I'm not disagreeing with you on the issue at hand. If a black man is injured or killed by a white police officer, you can bet Al Sharpton will jump in front of the nearest camera and start yammering on about racism in this country. He will insert himself into any situation and use for his own personal gain.

The man was unarmed.

this choking should not have happened but it was not over cigarettes. it was resisting arrest. get that straight at least.

Are you suggesting that resisting without violence is sufficient cause for the use of deadly force?

Does anyone here know what this man's history with regards to his interaction with officers before this incident?

Does anyone here know what happened BEFORE this "video" was shot?

If not, your comments are ignorant and uninformed.

The man was unarmed.

I agree with this.

And I will add, anyone who wants to make this about Al Sharpton, is just as bad as Al Sharpton.

No. This is a clear cut case of negligent homicide and should be tried as such. ALL I was pointing out is the FACT that al-jesse-obama-holder WILL make it about race. Right on cue...they HAVE already fulfilled my prophecy. Class, literally, dismissed...

Archived