Defensive Coordinator Diiscussion

DyeHardAllTheWay

They had great penetration all year and our DB's couldn't cover a slant or a screen.

Yeah...no.

Um yea if you didn't see the Interior lines penetration in the run game and in the passing game then you need glasses

i will make an appointment.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garner may be serving in another capacity but he is going nowhere. Stop speculating about a good Auburn man like that, my goodness.

Garner may be a good Auburn man, but he's not a good Auburn coach.

With all due respect let me just say this about your post.

HORSE MANURE

I concur on the MANURE. Interior D started to get good penetration, we just needed and edge rusher.... Which we do not have healthy right now.

They had great penetration all year and our DB's couldn't cover a slant or a screen.

Yeah...no.

Um yea if you didn't see the Interior lines penetration in the run game and in the passing game then you need glasses

Dude, the pass rush was MIA on 90% of our snaps this year. I don't necessarily fault Garner for that, but it's true.

Yeah...no.

Dude, the pass rush was MIA on 90% of our snaps this year. I don't necessarily fault Garner for that, but it's true.

Notice I said interior line not the edge. One cannot not deny that the interior line got good penetration especially in the run game. Only problem I had from our line this season was the lack of an edge pass rusher.

I understand that coach garner is an Auburn man and probably deserves to stay more than the other defensive guys. All I'm saying is move the guy to whatever you can and let Muschamp come in here with exactly what he wants. You never want to start a thing like this off by handcuffing your Coordinators. I'm sure it's all going to work out though. One of our secondary guys may have to say bye though. Lol

I doubt without looking if anyone here could tell who the DL coach is at UF, his pedigree and how his career stacks up against Garner.

Pedigree? Career? Could UF's D-line this year actually penetrate the opposition O-line? Could they rush passers? Can they get a sack now and then? Well, that's three things Garner's coaching did not accomplish. So I don't give a crap if it's my crazy mother-in-law and her deaf dog coaching those kids, if Muschamp wants to bring them along, they come. Forcing mediocre or incompetent help on the new guy from the very outset of what we all know has the potential to be a dynasty-building juggernaut is just plain crazy. Crazy as my mother-in-law.

If Garner has value, it must be as a recruiter, so give him a nice corner office with Head Coach of Recruiting on the door.

They could not penetrate that much because they got there azzes kicked all year - and eventually his HC and staff got the boot... tell me how Garners dline looked last season with a top 5 freshman and 1st round draft pick ...its still year two in his stint at AU ..he has coached several guys straight to the NFL. I just don't see this bad coach you see...and furthermore no one here factually knows how Muschamp feels about Garner as a dline coach in his system.

Yeah...no.

Notice I said interior line not the edge. One cannot not deny that the interior line got good penetration especially in the run game.

I can deny it. It was a pleasant surprise on the plays it did happen, but it was hit and miss at best. It was interior and edge, consistently failing to get off blocks or cause the QB much if any distress. Some games, the opposing QB could have sat back there making sandwiches and not gotten hit. It was better against the run but hardly great. Not even really good, just ok. And some of that was due to the fact that passing on us was so productive the run wasn't needed.

Yeah...no.

Probably because there was no elite pass rusher.

I will be happy with CWM but should we be concerned that this could be a one and done kinda thing? Is it possible he would leave for another head coaching gig after just one year back on the Plains?

I understand that coach garner is an Auburn man and probably deserves to stay more than the other defensive guys. All I'm saying is move the guy to whatever you can and let Muschamp come in here with exactly what he wants. You never want to start a thing like this off by handcuffing your Coordinators. I'm sure it's all going to work out though. One of our secondary guys may have to say bye though. Lol

I doubt without looking if anyone here could tell who the DL coach is at UF, his pedigree and how his career stacks up against Garner.

Pedigree? Career? Could UF's D-line this year actually penetrate the opposition O-line? Could they rush passers? Can they get a sack now and then? Well, that's three things Garner's coaching did not accomplish. So I don't give a crap if it's my crazy mother-in-law and her deaf dog coaching those kids, if Muschamp wants to bring them along, they come. Forcing mediocre or incompetent help on the new guy from the very outset of what we all know has the potential to be a dynasty-building juggernaut is just plain crazy. Crazy as my mother-in-law.

If Garner has value, it must be as a recruiter, so give him a nice corner office with Head Coach of Recruiting on the door.

I think you're letting a year where guys who have underachieved their whole AU career continued to do so (perhaps they were misevaluated to begin with) cloud your vision. Garner didn't suddenly stop being able to coach up DLs upon coming to Auburn.

And quit overreacting. No one is forcing anyone on anybody. It's simply Muschamp deciding on who he wants (and who wants to come with him) from UF and who that means we need to shuffle or let go.

Who will we have Bo Pelini coaching? LB?

Well you know that Takeo Spikes has expressed an interest on twitter in being the LB coach, not once but twice, in the last couple months. The last one was specifically mentioned with Muschamp. Our LBs would learn more from Takeo the first day than they did in the last 5 years from Thigpen and Johnson combined.

Takeo has put his townhouse in Buckhead on the market. Could it be?

How the heck did you find that out?! Lol! You're like Sherlock Holmes.

Elementary my friend.

So did you just Google Takeo Spikes home selling video?! Haha! It couldn't be as simple as you're making it.

Hahaha!!! Twitter

@TakeoSpikes51

Yeah...no.

Probably because there was no elite pass rusher.

Lots of teams don't have an elite pass rusher but can still get pressure. It certainly helps, but you shouldn't need a transcendent talent on the line to get some pressure fairly consistently.

I don't necessarily blame Garner for our problems on the line this season, but I definitely won't praise him. Last year was much better against the pass, but we had a 1st round draft pick out there. Was that Garner coaching him up or just his sheer talent?

This season was terrible all the way around. Yeah we stopped the run here and there, but when teams decided they were gonna run on us, they did with no problems. We had zero pass Rush. I would say that 98% of passing downs resulted in no pass rush from the defensive line. We could probably count on one hand the number of sacks coming from a 4 man rush.

Either way I think speculating who Muschamp may or may not like is pointless, because none of us have a clue.

They could not penetrate that much because they got there azzes kicked all year - and eventually his HC and staff got the boot... tell me how Garners dline looked last season with a top 5 freshman and 1st round draft pick ...its still year two in his stint at AU ..he has coached several guys straight to the NFL. I just don't see this bad coach you see...and furthermore no one here factually knows how Muschamp feels about Garner as a dline coach in his system.

That's right. We don't know how CWM feels about Garner, or, more importantly for the team, what he thinks of his abilities as a D-Line coach. My point is that the Defense should be Muschamp's to staff and run. So if he wants to anoint Garner "King of Defense" or banish him from the defensive side of the field, it should be his decision to make. I'm honestly very interested to see, if all this works out, who CWM deems acceptable to coach under him. I think some folks are gonna be surprised.

If Muschamp wants to hire Elmo, I'm fine with that. Let's just get Muschamp.

Elmo's fine, I guess. Grover would probably be a better fit IMO.

Don't even think about Bigbird though!! ;D

I think you're letting a year where guys who have underachieved their whole AU career continued to do so (perhaps they were misevaluated to begin with) cloud your vision. Garner didn't suddenly stop being able to coach up DLs upon coming to Auburn.

And quit overreacting. No one is forcing anyone on anybody. It's simply Muschamp deciding on who he wants (and who wants to come with him) from UF and who that means we need to shuffle or let go.

Garner didn't suddenly stop being able to coach up DLs upon coming to Auburn.

How do you know that? Looks a lot like CEJ forgot how to field an effective defense. ;)

And quit overreacting. I'm not. Not really. Just pressing home the point that people who love the existing staff will need to be prepared to see them reassigned or dismissed based on CWM's criteria, not their own. Hyperbole gets the point across. My mother-in-law doesn't even own a dog. :ucrazy:

If a deal is reached and Muschamp officially becomes D-coordinator, then there are no staffing issue. A&M and SCar are after him too, and possibly others. He's a hot commodity. He's not going to come to Auburn if they're are any issues with staffing.

R-E-L-A-X

Leave it to Auburn fans to hear that there are "staffing issues to smooth out" and jump to the worse possible conclusion that it's Tony Franklin 2.0.

^^ for all we know Boom could just be deciding who he wants to bring with him. Or him and CGM are discussing who to bring, who to get rid of, etc. doesn't mean there is any kind of feud going on.

Archived