If you could change one thing from this season. .

tigereyes

There is indeed that possibility, and this final four has shown that all of the talk of the SEC getting two teams in had no substance. They made a clear statement that conference championships, specifically one determined by a championship game, do matter. Auburn winning out and going to Atlanta would have likely taken them over Baylor and TCU. TCU won big and still dropped two spots.

I think it was a given, this year, that no conference was going to get two teams. They just were not going to go down that road in the first season if they could find any way at all to not do it.. Money is a big factor and in future years they might take a 1 loss non champion team like Auburn or LSU or Alabama.

They already showed us that they will drop a team that was in the top 4 and won big, just because the Big 12 does not play a championship game. Earlier in the season, I said that the only circumstances under which any conference gets two teams is if they simply have no other viable option. A two or three loss PAC 12, Big 10, or ACC champion being what I would consider to be required. I thought TCU was actually safe, but I should have seen that coming after the precedent was set of one loss teams jumping an undefeated one.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing. I wouldn't have changed anything.

Adversity leads to growth. The under achievements of 2003 lead to 2004. The pain of 2012 lead to 2013. The last time we landed in the Outback Bowl, we won the National Championship the next season. If anything, I hope that the team from this year learns the type of leadership needed to achieve success. We don't need the off field "activity" going on like it did last summer.

The future indeed looks very bright for Auburn Football. War Eagle!

Adversity leads to growth. The under achievements of 2003 lead to 2004. The pain of 2012 lead to 2013. The last time we landed in the Outback Bowl, we won the National Championship the next season. If anything, I hope that the team from this year learns the type of leadership needed to achieve success. We don't need the off field "activity" going on like it did last summer.

This is how I see it. :thumbsup:

Although I still would've preferred to win all the games haha

I would have liked to have seen us handle the loss to aTm better. I think we were still thinking about that game and let UGA take advantage. We let the aTm game beat us twice.

We wouldn't have made it apparently anyway. Hard for me to believe a 2loss Auburn is gonna jump TCU and BU

It's possible. Had we won out after aTm, there would have been a three-way tie with us, MSU and Bama at the top. We would have won the tie breaker. Beating Mizzou would have had us at 11-2 with by far the toughest schedule. No team in the current playoff has more than 4 wins over people ranked in the final 25. We would have had 6 wins. And we didn't fall that far after the aTm game...only to 9th. Close the season with road wins over a Top 10 UGA, a Top 5 Bama and a neutral site win over Top 15 Mizzou? I bet the final four would have been:

1. Oregon

2. FSU

3. Ohio State

4. Auburn

There is indeed that possibility, and this final four has shown that all of the talk of the SEC getting two teams in had no substance. They made a clear statement that conference championships, specifically one determined by a championship game, do matter. Auburn winning out and going to Atlanta would have likely taken them over Baylor and TCU. TCU won big and still dropped two spots.

I don't think that's true either. Step back for a second and consider if MSU had gone 13-0 and won the conference. Auburn wins out after that game to go 11-1 with their only loss being on the road to the #1 team and having wins over 6 teams in the final Top 25, including one over a Big XII team that finished 11th. I think it most certainly would have been MSU, FSU, Oregon and Auburn in some order.

The goal line fumble vs aTm. That was a killer and we'd be going for a 10 win season if it weren't for that. Puts a totally different spin on the season imo.

Of course, several other things I'd like to change but ya only asked for one. :)

+1

It has definitely been the darkest before the light when it comes to Auburn football lately.

I don't think that's true either. Step back for a second and consider if MSU had gone 13-0 and won the conference. Auburn wins out after that game to go 11-1 with their only loss being on the road to the #1 team and having wins over 6 teams in the final Top 25, including one over a Big XII team that finished 11th. I think it most certainly would have been MSU, FSU, Oregon and Auburn in some order.

I might have bought that until TCU dropped from 3 to 6 after winning big, while Ohio State moved in after thumping Wisconsin in the extra game that Auburn would not have played. That sent the message: conference championship games mean a lot. TCU's sole loss was at #5 Baylor, by 3 points. They beat that same Kansas State team by 21. Their resume was pretty impressive too. I can certainly see them leaving an 11-1 Auburn team that did not win its division or conference at home in favor of Ohio State after they play that extra game. That said, I could see it being possible if Ohio State had won the Big 10 with two losses instead of one. Then it would have come down to being between Auburn and TCU or Baylor. If they get credit for winning the Big 12, even though they play no championship game, I could see them leaping Auburn in that scenario.

What I take away from it is that as long as they have undefeated or one loss conference championship game winners, that is who they are going to take when the dust settles.

Either of the last two fumbles against TAMU.

or the first two against MSU

As much as the aTm fumbles were deflating and just overall hurt, I agree with the MSU fumbles. Those MSU fumbles lead to our first loss of the season. If we won that game, I believe that we go into the aTm game with some major swagger and win that game. I was at the aTm game and to me, the team lacked some energy. They still fought to win in the second half but that first half was brutal.

This is a nice thread for a change.

Not one thing but several.

First and foremost. Lutzenchirchen's tragic death.

Mincy making an anti drug appearance at a local school and getting busted two days later. A senior.

Two weeks later our senior qb is busted.

Therenzie episode. A senior

Whitehead situation. A senior.

All teams have injuries and some recover. See Ohio State.

And all teams have misfortune and some carry on. Ole Miss beating bamr despite the non call on the face mask at the end of the first half.

But there seemed to be a general malaise through out the entire season. Especially when out seniors are the ones in trouble.

This is a nice thread for a change.

Not one thing but several.

First and foremost. Lutzenchirchen's tragic death.

Mincy making an anti drug appearance at a local school and getting busted two days later. A senior.

Two weeks later our senior qb is busted.

Therenzie episode. A senior

Whitehead situation. A senior.

All teams have injuries and some recover. See Ohio State.

And all teams have misfortune and some carry on. Ole Miss beating bamr despite the non call on the face mask at the end of the first half.

But there seemed to be a general malaise through out the entire season. Especially when out seniors are the ones in trouble.

Yup. Prior to the season I was thinking all of these issues remind me of 2012 pre-season in some regard. Luckily for us, a let down year for Gus is 8 wins rather than Chizik's who's let down is 3 wins.

I will say this regarding the Lawson injury, and that's if it comes down to one player that defines your pass rush and defensive outlook for a season..you're in for a long season. Lots I'd change on D I guess, starting with 'crutin some playmakers and rushers.

The two fumbles against Texas A&M. We wouldn't have laid an egg against Georgia and would have something to play for besides pride against Alabama.

Ending the speculations of CWM going to USC as HCIW.....and hiring the best DC in the history of college football. Also, having Marshall to run for the TD on a couple. of FGs scored in the Iron Bowl. Lastly, moving to the SEC East and not playing bammer for a couple of seasons just to tick off the bammers!

I'd change the conservative offensive mindset. Auburn Fast wasn't very fast. Nick was held back. The zone read was underutilized and overscripted. We wasted Corey Grant. I give the offense a C+ based on its potential. I miss the trickery, boldness and so forth. It was on display at times, but at times we played not to lose.

Can't do just one....... Lack of Senior leadership

Mediocre line play on both sides (ok poor Dline play)

Forgetting to field a defense

I'd run a simple draw on goal to go from the 1 vs TAMU. If we fumble a simple draw, so be it... running a freaking "read" when our 4th string punter could have walked into the endzone vs TAMU's DL wasn't exactly the call of the year...

The fumble at the goal line against TAMU. If that doesn't happen, we score the TD and the following fumble doesn't happen because we kick off to TAMU after extra point and don't play that last series.

Lawson getting injured for sure. Without him, we couldn't get pressure rushing just four. It was a shame. He's a special talent . Close second would be the early TOs vs. missSt.

Archived