Who do we close with?

AUpreacherman22

Follow all the easily attainable info out there and it's not hard to get most of your picks right.

Disagreed. I have a friend who has followed AU recruiting very closely for 8-9 years and pays for all the usual sites for info. He and another friend were adamant we would not get Cowart or Holland prior to today. And of course, during the Cowart holdup today, both were texting me we had 100% lost Cowart.

I'm nowhere near a know-it-all or can even pray to reach metafour condescending richard status, but I knew one simple thing...we had Muschamp (which turned us in favor of Cowart to begin with)...and Cowart & Jefferson played the exact same position.

Hell no were the two of them going to play for the same team. Folks can preach from the mountain tops forever more about Cowart's high school coach being the holdup. I guaran-damn-tee if Jefferson had announced AU, Cowart would have flipped to FL.

In this era, you have 2-3 years to impress NFL scouts. And if you're trying to impress as a backup, your salary will be a direct reflection.

Cowart heard the Jefferson-to-AU rumors this morning and he decided to wait until Jefferson announced. Period.

Despite my friends' pessimistic predictions throughout the afternoon on Cowart's holdup, I told them to...as Aaron Rodgers so eloquently stated.........

R.E.L.A.X.

BTW - My friend who has paid 8-9 years for "insider" info to determine his "Cowart to FL" prediction...paid up and bought me (and my free information) a frosty beverage this afternoon. :)

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend who has followed AU recruiting very closely for 8-9 years and pays for all the usual sites for info. He and another friend were adamant we would not get Cowart or Holland prior to today.

I don't know what sites your friend pays for, but pretty much every writer for both 247 and Rivals AU sites have been calling both Cowart and Holland for several days now. If you go back and look at their "final predictions" (which are everywhere on the internet) you'll see both names on virtually every list. Sounds to me like your friend is just cynical. Holland particularly was a near guaranteed AU lock....the kid came on his own dime the last recruiting weekend of the season even though he had been in Auburn just two weeks prior.

I have a friend who has followed AU recruiting very closely for 8-9 years and pays for all the usual sites for info. He and another friend were adamant we would not get Cowart or Holland prior to today.

I don't know what sites your friend pays for, but pretty much every writer for both 247 and Rivals AU sites have been calling both Cowart and Holland for several days now. If you go back and look at their "final predictions" (which are everywhere on the internet) you'll see both names on virtually every list. Sounds to me like your friend is just cynical. Holland particularly was a near guaranteed AU lock....the kid came on his own dime the last recruiting weekend of the season even though he had been in Auburn just two weeks prior.

Rivals and 247. Recent history of getting burned...Cyrus, Yeldon, Foster, Evans.

I made crystal clear to them that Cowart did not involve bammer or a family tie to FL. To no avail.

Moral of the story...you believe what you want to believe, regardless if you pay or not.

Now please...grace us with your holier-than-thou guidance...oh condescending one.

So your friend is a paranoid black-helicopters conspiracy nut. That still doesn't disprove tiger88's statement.

Wasn't just one.

But please do continue to limit to just one single Auburn fan's prediction...oh, holier-than-thou.

If you really follow recruiting and read enough tea leaves, get through the bull crap, and pay attention to the mods and true insiders on the big 3 sites, you can pretty much know 95% the day before signing day who we are going to get. Granted there are always exceptions (like there was almost today with Cowart for us).

Most of the time you just take the info and apply deductive reasoning. For example, I knew going into yesterday that not 1 true insider (and few if any mods) on the other sites thought Ivey was going to AU. It was close, but he was staying in FL. Same for CeCe. Plus I read the articles over the past week on them and I just took them off the list. They were just long shots (cece a bigger long shot). Beckner was a maybe until the Mizz coach stayed. Took him off the list. Norton was not really a take until last weekend, and after the visit he still had not committed and still liked Miami. Looked at the Miami board, they were very confident. then read a few articles on Norton...took him off the list. As Meta said, everyone had Holland, Carlton Davis as going to AU so I put them on the list. Cowart I felt could go either way - Au mods for all sites were very confident, the insiders were confident so I put him on the list. I know that R Davis and J Davis both had a good relationship with T rob, plus insider info, plus people started changing their minds yesterday about RD etc, added to list... slayton was pretty easy - everyone saw that coming. Godwin never switched and had been with UGA forever. He was a longshot - left him off the list. I thought the last person would be a player like Horton or Patrick (the WR). I thought GG would tell us to take a hike - we were too late - and that is why we would be 1 short. That about does it.

BTW - I was hoping I was wrong about CeCe or Ivey.

Rivals and 247. Recent history of getting burned...Cyrus, Yeldon, Foster, Evans.

I made crystal clear to them that Cowart did not involve bammer or a family tie to FL. To no avail.

Moral of the story...you believe what you want to believe, regardless if you pay or not.

Now please...grace us with your holier-than-thou guidance...oh condescending one.

Both Allie Davidson and Jeff Lee from Rivals got 7 of their 8 final predictions right...all of the six mentioned above plus Michael Horton. The only one they picked that Auburn didn't get was GG Robinson.

meta is right...none of those six picks were that hard to nail. It was once you got to the 7th and 8th that it became tougher.

Both Allie Davidson and Jeff Lee from Rivals got 7 of their 8 final predictions right...all of the six mentioned above plus Michael Horton. The only one they picked that Auburn didn't get was GG Robinson.

meta is right...none of those six picks were that hard to nail. It was once you got to the 7th and 8th that it became tougher.

Allie had Gibson to AU. ALL 4 of the Rivals editors had Key to AU a few days ago. They were the ONLY site to predict Key to AU.

GG Robinson told Auburn off a couple of days ago. If they still had him to AU last night, then they truly are more of a joke than I previously thought.

Most everyone last night had Cowart, Holland, Carlton & Slayton. The rest were complete toss-ups for everyone.

Queue the holier than thou one to say he had all predictions accurately noted, but nowhere in this thread to be found.

ALL 4 of the Rivals editors had Key to AU a few days ago. They were the ONLY site to predict Key to AU.

This one is easy: no one expected Key to cancel his official visit the day he was supposed to leave. The predictions for Key came because that kid was extremely impressionable during the entire recruiting process, his leader was pretty much always whatever school he had contact with last. His visit with us would have essentially been the last in-person contact with coaches from any staff, which many expected would have vaulted us to the top given the way his recruitment had played out. What happened instead is that the LSU staff had went all-in the day prior with an in-home visit and convinced him to cancel his Auburn visit and stay home the final weekend. Alas the last contact with him ended up winning out. You can't expect the AU sites to know that he'd cancel his scheduled visit at the last minute. Obviously that entire "prediction" was resting on Key actually coming to Auburn the last weekend before his announcement...after that never happened the predictions were all reversed.

GG Robinson told Auburn off a couple of days ago. If they still had him to AU last night, then they truly are more of a joke than I previously thought.

Do you follow recruiting at all? Stuff like that means literally nothing. Sheldrick Redwine decommitted from Louisville because he thought he could jump on at Auburn but was turned away because his spot was already filled; he then backpedaled and claimed that he never decommitted and that he was 100% set on going to Louisville. You know where he ended up signing today? Miami. Kids typically want to make sure that they still have their original options in tact when they are potentially looking at a last second flip in case they are turned away. There was very good reason to believe that we had a good chance at flipping GG Robinson if we prioritized him, for many reasons. If you look at his story you would see that he actually initially stated that "it was too late" back when we still hadn't actually offered him, then last night when we came on heavy he suddenly changed from "its too late" to "I'm going to have to sleep on it", so clearly it was never "too late" as he flat out didn't turn them down last night at all. Had we offered him a few days ago and had he therefore made his OV this past weekend he would have 100% signed with us; but even with the late offer last night we still almost pulled that one out.

Allie had Gibson to AU. ALL 4 of the Rivals editors had Key to AU a few days ago. They were the ONLY site to predict Key to AU.

Most everyone last night had Cowart, Holland, Carlton & Slayton. The rest were complete toss-ups for everyone.

Queue the holier than thou one to say he had all predictions accurately noted, but nowhere in this thread to be found.

The staff made a hard push for GG and he wavered right up until the morning of signing day, finally releasing a statement about it. Which is why he posted this statement on his Twitter account around 11 am yesterday:

B9BLQJBIQAAf4ZE.jpg

"A sleepless night stressing over this" does not line up with your "told us off days ago" narrative.

As far as Allie and Jeff, you're wrong again. Here were their picks from Feb 3rd, early in the day:

Allie Davison (7 of 8)

CB Carlton Davis

DE Byron Cowart

LB Jeffery Holland

WR Ryan Davis

CB Javarius Davis

WR Darius Slayton

DT G.G. Robinson

OL Michael Horton

Jeffrey Lee (7 of 8)

CB Carlton Davis

DT G.G. Robinson

WR Darius Slayton

LB Jeffery Holland

OL Michael Horton

WR Ryan Davis

DE Byron Cowart

CB Javarius Davis

So they got the 4 no-brainers you mentioned, plus Horton who no one mentioned, Javarius Davis, whom you in this very thread said we wouldn't get and Ryan Davis. And they missed on GG Robinson who, contrary to your outdated thoughts, wrestled with the decision to come to Auburn all the way up to the morning of Signing Day.

Honestly, just stop while you have some dignity left. The most you post, they more ridiculous you look trying to call other people out.

Time to bring the CeCe Jefferson recruiting thread back from the Rivals area?

1.) Jefferson has not submitted his NLI to UF and, reportedly, his dad isn't gonna allow him to do it anytime soon.

2.) UF just lost their new (hired just last month) DLine coach to the NFL.

He has friends at Auburn. Maybe he'll give us a second look?

I'm always amazed at the loyalty people have to different recruiting sites and how they'll go out of their way to bash the others. I think they all do a great job and each one has unique personalities that give different perspectives.

And I also don't get the big deal with "so-and-so was first to report" BS that is such a point of dissension. Does it really matter who is first? What does 15 minutes really matter to the general public? It doesn't, but it gets touted like lives will be lost unless you subscribe to the guy who is first with the college football info.

I'm going to go drink now.

Archived