2015 3* DL Jared Gentry (Memphis signee)

TexasTiger

Anyone know if this guy is worth a look?

Jared Gentry, DL, Opelika

Gentry has flown under the radar for most of the year, but announced his arrival on the scene earlier this week when he knocked Alabama commit Lester Cotton, No. 1 on AL.com's A-List, to the ground during a one-on-one drill. Gentry has also dropped weight recently -- he's down to around 310 pounds -- and looked very good during drills this week.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/daron_payne_tyler_carr_among_t.html#incart_river

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what did he do the rest of the time facing Cotton? I mean even I could get lucky once and knock over a top OL.

Once in a thousand that is.

Supposedly he is doing really well at practice. That's all I got for you.

But what did he do the rest of the time facing Cotton? I mean even I could get lucky once and knock over a top OL.

Once in a thousand that is.

I know every player has a bad snap every now and then, but my goodness!

I coached Jared in AAU basketball for 3 years. Good athlete/great kid. For his size (6-2 about 310) he can really move and he is strong as heck. Has a mean streak. Just one of those kids that was born to play the game of football. I talked to him last week about how recruiting was going. He's got a lot of offers from group of 5 schools (Memphis, Western KY, Ga Southern, Georgia State, Troy etc.). Some bigger schools are starting to get involved since the season ended. He went on recruiting trips to Kentucky and Mississippi State last summer. Committed to Cincinnati at one point but backed off.

He had a good senior season as one of the leaders of a dominant Opelika defense. He's extremely interested in an offer from AU but he feels like the staff has prioritized other DTs over him. Just my opinion, some SEC/ACC school is going to swoop in late and grab him. Might as well be us. He's going to end up being an impact player in college and with our need at DT, we need to be all over him.

I've called a couple games this kid played in he has a lot of up side probably as much as one of our or DT commits

Since we only have one DT commit.....

Ok some of you have seen him play and say he has a lot of upside. He played for a well known team so got exposure his size at 6'2" 310 pounds qualifies as a Div. 1 Defensive Tackle. He played AAU basketball and apparently can ball so must have decent speed and agility. He is good enough to be invited to Alabama/Mississippi All Star game. His team was great on D and he was one of the reasons. So why is he only rated a 2 * on most of the services? Was he a late bloomer and if that is the case for those who have seen him recently what should his rating be now?

Those in the know is he the type of player that you get because he will be a special player because he will have a Chip on his shoulder and work harder than others because he was looked past by so many and wants to prove them wrong?

IDK but if we can sign a punter that can't punt, we sure ought to be able to take a kid with measurables for DT. Sounds like the kind of kid that will bring it.

Sounds a lot like Sen'Derrick Marks story. That turned out pretty well. Better odds of success with the higher rated guys but maybe he's worth taking a flyer on. I'll trust the coaching staff to make the right decisions on who we recruit and sign.

IDK but if we can sign a punter that can't punt, we sure ought to be able to take a kid with measurables for DT. Sounds like the kind of kid that will bring it.

I'm thinking this depends on who else we fail to get at DT. There may be a slot for him, there may not. One thing, with him as close as Opelika, all the connections between AU and Opelika High and our needs at the position, he hasn't been overlooked.

I'm thinking this depends on who else we fail to get at DT. There may be a slot for him, there may not. One thing, with him as close as Opelika, all the connections between AU and Opelika High and our needs at the position, he hasn't been overlooked.

Yeah, that could never happen:

http://dal.scout.com/a.z?s=112&p=8&c=1&nid=3662246

http://dal.scout.com/a.z?s=112&p=8&c=1&nid=3662246

Ware had the athletic talent but not the size in HS. He was a very thin Wide Receiver and Linebacker at Auburn HS. Nobody doubted his athletic ability but nobody could have projected his growth. Kids that grow late either in height or in weight often fly under the Radar. Kevin Greene was a RB in HS who would have projected him to get so big and strong that he would end up being a great LB.

There will always be kids that develop late that fly under the radar and then there is one thing that no coach can rate the desire of an individual to do whatever it takes to become great.

The difference in this kid is he has the measurable's but for some reason he is not rated very high I am not sure why. People are talking because on one play he clocked Cotton. The question did he clock Cotton because he is finally starting to reach his potential or was it a lucky one time shot.

Maybe we will see something in the All Star game that will either up his stock or will confirm his 2* rating. By the way for the uninformed a 2* rating is nothing to be sneezed at when you consider most players in HS don't even rate a *. An awful lot of smaller schools are very happy to get a good 2* Auburn usually has the choice to pick people who are rated higher but have taken 2* stars that have proven people wrong that is sometimes a coach sees something that Rivals and others don't.

Ok some of you have seen him play and say he has a lot of upside. He played for a well known team so got exposure his size at 6'2" 310 pounds qualifies as a Div. 1 Defensive Tackle. He played AAU basketball and apparently can ball so must have decent speed and agility. He is good enough to be invited to Alabama/Mississippi All Star game. His team was great on D and he was one of the reasons. So why is he only rated a 2 * on most of the services? Was he a late bloomer and if that is the case for those who have seen him recently what should his rating be now?

Those in the know is he the type of player that you get because he will be a special player because he will have a Chip on his shoulder and work harder than others because he was looked past by so many and wants to prove them wrong?

He's been getting interest from D1 schools since his sophomore year when Opelika went to the state championship game, so he has not exactly flown under the radar. He should be a 3 star player as far as what he's shown to this point, but that's not to say he couldn't develop even more in college. He's certainly an option for Auburn and they are aware of him (we signed 2 from OHS last year), but I think it's a situation where the staff is waiting on bigger name players at other positions. Sometimes that strategy works and sometimes it doesn't, if another school that has a need/fit is showing more interest. He'll work hard though, I have no doubt about that. He's got the mindset to prove people wrong. And personally I think he's as good or better than Jauntavious Johnson who is our only other DT commit.

http://dal.scout.com...c=1&nid=3662246

Ware had the athletic talent but not the size in HS. He was a very thin Wide Receiver and Linebacker at Auburn HS. Nobody doubted his athletic ability but nobody could have projected his growth. Kids that grow late either in height or in weight often fly under the Radar. Kevin Greene was a RB in HS who would have projected him to get so big and strong that he would end up being a great LB.

There will always be kids that develop late that fly under the radar and then there is one thing that no coach can rate the desire of an individual to do whatever it takes to become great.

The difference in this kid is he has the measurable's but for some reason he is not rated very high I am not sure why. People are talking because on one play he clocked Cotton. The question did he clock Cotton because he is finally starting to reach his potential or was it a lucky one time shot.

Maybe we will see something in the All Star game that will either up his stock or will confirm his 2* rating. By the way for the uninformed a 2* rating is nothing to be sneezed at when you consider most players in HS don't even rate a *. An awful lot of smaller schools are very happy to get a good 2* Auburn usually has the choice to pick people who are rated higher but have taken 2* stars that have proven people wrong that is sometimes a coach sees something that Rivals and others don't.

I'll second everything you said. I went to AHS right after DeMarcus Ware and played sports so we saw him regularly, working out and stuff like that. He was a good high school player and everybody at school knew what a freak athlete he was, but he was 6-4 185, maybe. The summer after his freshman year at Troy he had put on probably 40 pounds while maintaining his speed and quickness. That's what made him special. He had the will and work ethic to be great. Nobody could have imagined he would have developed into what he is now. Players are underrated all the time. The guy who is about to win the Heisman tomorrow was a three star quarterback whose only other D1 offer was from Memphis. We do tend to get caught up in the "star ratings" but as we all have learned over the years, you never know what's going to happen when a kid starts playing at this level.

http://dal.scout.com...c=1&nid=3662246

Ware wasn't overlooked. He was not a D-1 prospect out of high school. No need for me to be redundant, just read the previous posts.

Archived