2015 3* DL Jared Gentry (Memphis signee)

TexasTiger

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't have unlimited schollies. Staffs have to make difficult decisions. They would never admit it, but staffs do recruit stars to a certain extent. If you can't decide between two take the higher star rating. No explanation required there. Gentry reminds me of Clayton from Opelika. 2* who impressed Dunn I believe. That offer caught a lot of criticism from forums. He will never take a snap, should be a walkon, etc from people who had no clue. Anyway I think he proved to be worthy of a scholarship. But you never know. By the way I would take Gentry over Payne but I'm not a coach and I doubt if any D-1 coach would say such a thing.

I hope we are not making a mistake by not offering this kid and miss out like we did with Jordan Matthews ! He's much better than Payne to me, I use the eye test, not the stars system

I'll tell ya what, I think I were calling the shots, I'd have to take a serious look at this kid. Sometimes common sense and a gut feeling wins over star rankings. Kid appears to pass the eye test by a long shot.

He flat out whipped Lester Cotton, OL bama commit.

https://vine.co/v/OrxVab53gOm

Impressive video. Looks like he hurt Mr Cotton.

Opelika puts out a lot of great athletes. I hope we recruit there more often. Auburn High turns out traitors and turncoats.

Not always! John Sullen did his best. The situation with Foster and Evans has more to do with each of those young men individualy and less to do with AHS.

He certainly passed the eye test for me in the allstar game.Any chance we could get him to take a grayshirt and then if a scholly came open put him on scholarship.

He certainly passed the eye test for me in the allstar game.Any chance we could get him to take a grayshirt and then if a scholly came open put him on scholarship.

Forget greyshirt, give him the scholarship your offering Payne and be done with it.

What about now, since we got Dwain?

I'm guessing that after today's dust clears and it becomes more and more obvious that Payne is a turd and Thompson isn't flipping from UGA, Gentry gets his offer.

I'm guessing that after today's dust clears and it becomes more and more obvious that Payne is a turd and Thompson isn't flipping from UGA, Gentry gets his offer.

I hope that you are right. I am pretty sure that Auburn has not had much contact with Gentry. He did not participate in as many camps this year as he did as a junior. I wonder if that is what is hurting his recruiting.

I agree he has to be one of the top rated on the board. He's generating a lot more interest from everyone now with his performance during all star week

I suspect it'll depend more on the feel we get from Payne and Beckner. We'd definitely take both of those guys, but I don't know that we'd sign four DTs otherwise. If we miss on both, Gentry could be the guy. That's all guess work, but numbers-wise, four DTs seems excessive unless the four includes two absolute studs.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched his highlight video and I'm very impressed. I know he didn't go to a bunch of camps, but I'm not sure why he isn't a solid 3 or 4 star recruit. My sister is one of his HS teachers and says he's a great kid and that there are no academic or off-field issues that would keep bigger schools from recruiting him.

He flat out whipped Lester Cotton, OL bama commit.

https://vine.co/v/OrxVab53gOm

Impressive video. Looks like he hurt Mr Cotton.

Opelika puts out a lot of great athletes. I hope we recruit there more often. Auburn High turns out traitors and turncoats.

Not trying to start something but playing devils advocate, they play a position that they have turned out stars one right after another...if you get an offer from them and a chance to go to the nfl and play for championships, then it's pretty hard to turn down.

That being said a true Auburn fan wouldn't want to go there so that's pretty clear.

He is quick in the gaps and very strong with pretty good lateral movement. Pad Level is often to high that can be improved with coaching it is hard to tell how good he is based on the fact he is so much bigger then O-Linemen he often just pushes them back that won't work against 300+ pound SEC O-Linemen. Has potential what makes me like him even more is how well he did in Alabama/Mississippi All Star game. I think he is worth a serious look and I am sure we are looking will probably depend on how well we recruit other players at DT as to whether he gets an offer. I would like to see him get an offer but I haven't seen enough of him to begin to rank him against higher ranked players.

Archived