Muschamp's Defensive Staff

AEAugirl

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like AU will be paying another 3 or 4 guys not to coach at Auburn next season. Gus was generous after last year and I read elsewhere that most of the staff have contracts out to 2016 or 2017....and some of them make pretty good money.

Does this upset you?

Not particularly....not my money but seen a lot of complaining about paying Barbee for not coaching...and Chiz and some others...and program lost money last season they say....just an observation.

May be like car salesman, didn't really lose money, just didn't make as much as they wanted to!

There are different ways of showing profit and loss. I'm not an accountant but there are certain reasons for how things are shown on the books. Somebody explained it one day in detail in another thread.

I wonder if T- Rob is really in play for AU. I also think Durkin could really be someone to keep an eye on, he coaches LB's and has been very successful as a Special Teams Coordinator. With Durkin, we could fill two coaching spots effectively with one hire.

If I had my way, I would go Garner-DL, Durkin- LB- Special Team Coord, T-Rob - Secondary.

Or-

Garner- TE/recruiting Coordinator. Lawing- DL, Durkin, LB- Special Team Coord, T-Tob Secondary.

Just not sure we can pull all those guys from FL.

Durkin is a DC now and can stay in that role at UF. No reason to expect him to leave. T-Rob might be in play to replace Boom at AU if he decides to leave within 2-3 years like most of us expect.

Cole Cubelic@colecubelic 16m16 minutes ago

QT @SECbooger: Muschamp put full court press on TROB over night in the end he simply said he had to go HOME TROB headed w/Muschamp to Auburn

This is almost as big as WM.....absolutely huge for db coaching and recruiting!!!!

No more cheese, thank goodness.

Don't know if he's a better coach than coach Smith but I look forward to finding out. If there was any coach on staff that could use talent as an excuse it's Smith

I really would love to see Randy Shannon coaching our LBers. He could potentially take over for Muschamp if/when another HC opportunity comes along. He is a great coach, recruiter.

Dream wise I would LOVE if we could have Kevin Greene.Or get T.Spikes involved.

Don't know if he's a better coach than coach Smith but I look forward to finding out. If there was any coach on staff that could use talent as an excuse it's Smith

He is the one guy I do hate to see go.

QT @SECbooger: Muschamp put full court press on TROB over night in the end he simply said he had to go HOME TROB headed w/Muschamp to Auburn

This is almost as big as WM.....absolutely huge for db coaching and recruiting!!!!

No more cheese, thank goodness.

This^^

He is the one guy I do hate to see go.

He may not go. Depends on how they want to do things. He may just want one coach back there or he may split it up. Still someone has to coach linebackers.

Guest jojo1515

Will Muschamp will likely be one of the db coaches with TRob as the other. Smith, if kept on board, would likely have to be given a different role. Unfortunately, I don't see where he will be given any on the field role..

agreed

Will Muschamp will likely be one of the db coaches with TRob as the other. Smith, if kept on board, would likely have to be given a different role. Unfortunately, I don't see where he will be given any on the field role..

Imo his coaching record was too good with db's to be let go. And you actually saw Jones get better. He just didn't have much to work with here on top of not having a pass rush. Don't know too many coaches that could have been successful in his predicament

Imo his coaching record was too good with db's to be let go. And you actually saw Jones get better. He just didn't have much to work with here on top of not having a pass rush. Don't know too many coaches that could have been successful in his predicament

That may be but he may be collateral damage as we say. He just may be the odd man out in this deal and as unfortunate as it may be that is part of the coaching profession.

I agree with Cole256. Smith just needed more quality players. I was honestly hoping to see what he could do with the players like Roberts, Ruffin, and Bessent now that they had a year to get bigger and more familiar with his coaching. Not to mention we might be able to play guys in their natural position more this year. Would like to see T-Rob coach safeties and Smith coach corners with Muschamp adding in his 2 cents.

That might be impossible though.

Cole Cubelic@colecubelic 9m9 minutes ago

Don't expect news on interim UF coach D.J. Durkin until after the @BirminghamBowl January 3rd. Valuable recruiting time for Jim McElwain.

Interesting. I would think he would want to stay on as DC there. I guess it depends on his relationship with boom and how he gets along with McElwain. He'd be great to have as the lb coach and DCIW.

It appears everyone is of the opinion CWM will have total control of staff composition defensive recruiting, schemes, et al. This may have been a the holdup more than money or other jobs. I doubt coordinators ever had this kind of authority under Tubs and Chiz, hence constant turmoil, firings, resignations, etc.

I have a very hard time seeing DJ Durkin coming here to coach LBs unless he feels McElwain won't retain him or there is some other issue there. But there WAS a rumor floating last night that AU had hired Durkin and TRob...right before the Muschamp news broke.

I still can't believe it. WE GOT MUSCHAMP!!!!!!

It appears everyone is of the opinion CWM will have total control of staff composition defensive recruiting, schemes, et al. This may have been a the holdup more than money or other jobs. I doubt coordinators ever had this kind of authority under Tubs and Chiz, hence constant turmoil, firings, resignations, etc.

I don't know how much control he has overall. He will have full control over the scheme he wants to run. Tubs and Chiz were both defensive coaches and had a plan they wanted followed. Gus is guy that wants to get his guy in and let him coach. He knows how it feels to have yourself handcuffed by the HC. Nutt did it to him at Arky and Chiz did it to him at Auburn.

I have a very hard time seeing DJ Durkin coming here to coach LBs unless he feels McElwain won't retain him or there is some other issue there. But there WAS a rumor floating last night that AU had hired Durkin and TRob...right before the Muschamp news broke.

Christmas came early huh? ^^ That's how it feels for me. Now, my other Christmas present would be for osu to beat the dogsh** out of bama!!

Christmas came early huh? ^^ That's how it feels for me. Now, my other Christmas present would be for osu to beat the dogsh** out of bama!!

That would be nice. As long as somebody does then that's all I need.

Archived