"The Interview"

homersapien

With a little background in Cyber Security, I can tell you we will see major changes in corporate security after this. Companies don’t make money on securing their systems, but as you see in this case they stand to lose a great deal. In order to convince a CEO to spend money on security, you have to convince them of the potential loses. I think they are convinced now more than ever.

I heard one expert say only 10% of US companies would have had a chance to stop this attack. Add that to the success of the Guardians of Peace (North Korea), why wouldn’t we expect this to happen again.

I’m sure we will see some type of legislation come out of this too.

Unless they've been hacked and damaged they don't usually care. The recent credit card thefts at Home Depot, target, and other large retailers happen because of weak security controls and a failure to modernize systems.

A hacker breaks into a system with weak security that may be of little interest to the hacker, but that weak system become a jump point to launch attacks distributing malware programs into other systems the hacker wants access to inside the victim company's internal private network. Those other systems could have POS credit card transactions or even email. Those hacked companies have spent millions upgrading their credit card POS systems to encrypt credit card data at the swipe reader. Other companies are doing the same to avoid a similar hack.

Sony actually was hacked almost a year ago they say, but did not react until the hackers went public with copies of emails. http://gawker.com/sony-was-hacked-in-february-and-chose-to-stay-silent-1670025366

Companies have outsourced a lot of their IT processing and or use offshore contractors to write code and support systems. There is so much outsourcing that company managers have a difficult time knowing the true state of their information security. All they have in many cases are legal agreements and a right to audit the contracting company.

The federal government can't really do much by regulation of individual businesses, they would be better off to put in defensive and offense cyber warfare capabilities on the Internet to detect foreign attacks and quickly respond. but the government can't even defend itself against cyber attacks. It too has outsourced much of it its IT work.

With a little background in Cyber Security, I can tell you we will see major changes in corporate security after this. Companies don’t make money on securing their systems, but as you see in this case they stand to lose a great deal. In order to convince a CEO to spend money on security, you have to convince them of the potential loses. I think they are convinced now more than ever.

I heard one expert say only 10% of US companies would have had a chance to stop this attack. Add that to the success of the Guardians of Peace (North Korea), why wouldn’t we expect this to happen again.

I’m sure we will see some type of legislation come out of this too.

Unless they've been hacked and damaged they don't usually care. The recent credit card thefts at Home Depot, target, and other large retailers happen because of weak security controls and a failure to modernize systems.

A hacker breaks into a system with weak security that may be of little interest to the hacker, but that weak system become a jump point to launch attacks distributing malware programs into other systems the hacker wants access to inside the victim company's internal private network. Those other systems could have POS credit card transactions or even email. Those hacked companies have spent millions upgrading their credit card POS systems to encrypt credit card data at the swipe reader. Other companies are doing the same to avoid a similar hack.

Sony actually was hacked almost a year ago they say, but did not react until the hackers went public with copies of emails. http://gawker.com/so...lent-1670025366

Companies have outsourced a lot of their IT processing and or use offshore contractors to write code and support systems. There is so much outsourcing that company managers have a difficult time knowing the true state of their information security. All they have in many cases are legal agreements and a right to audit the contracting company.

The federal government can't really do much by regulation of individual businesses, they would be better off to put in defensive and offense cyber warfare capabilities on the Internet to detect foreign attacks and quickly respond. but the government can't even defend itself against cyber attacks. It too has outsourced much of it its IT work.

So what is it with all these high level - often VP of Information Technology? Presumably they are part of the problem (if outsourcing is the problem).

Do you think companies are going to focus on developing in-house capability or will the quality of outsourcing advance?

Now that the film WILL be released tomorrow, I love the irony and the karmic payback that, because of the attack and resulting publicity, it will probably make more money and be seen by more people than it would've if North Korea had just ignored it.

I wonder if Kim Jong-un has ever heard the expression "Hoist by your own petard"? :laugh:

Now that the film WILL be released tomorrow, I love the irony and the karmic payback that, because of the attack and resulting publicity, it will probably make more money and be seen by more people than it would've if North Korea had just ignored it.

I wonder if Kim Jong-un has ever heard the expression "Hoist by your own petard"? :laugh:

Yeah, that occurred to me also. Any publicity is good publicity! ;D

Jung-un gave Sony enough advertising to offset the security attack costs, maybe. I had no clue this movie was in the pipeline, now i will go see it.

All of this fuss over another lame pot reference filled bomb by these two morons....

I watched it last night and I don't recall one single pot or drug reference. It was stupid...yes....because it's supposed to be. That's the whole point of their movies...lighten up Francis

All of this fuss over another lame pot reference filled bomb by these two morons....

I watched it last night and I don't recall one single pot or drug reference. It was stupid...yes....because it's supposed to be. That's the whole point of their movies...lighten up Francis

do you recommend it?

do you recommend it?

Well. ..everyone is different, but it was worth the view for me. It has it's moments of stupidity but that's the point...it's not meant to be taken seriously.

i thought at this point we figures out it wasn't NK but china writing code in NK language.

Inside job is where they are leaning now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2887081/North-Korea-NOT-Sony-hack-according-multiple-security-experts-discredit-FBI-findings-reveal-insider-named-Lena-responsible.html

Archived