Linebackers head list of commitments

Tigermike

Linebackers head list of commitments

Sunday, December 19, 2004

CHARLES GOLDBERG

News staff writer

AUBURN - Ryan Stamper isn't just any football fan with a computer and an obsession.

He has a personal interest in recruiting. Stamper, one of the top linebackers in the nation, committed to Auburn in November and says he is logging on and keeping track of his futureschool as it continues to attract some of the top high school talent in America.

``I read the articles," he acknowledges.  

(As do many other recruits and their parents)

Stamper has read some good news about the Tigers and his linebacker position. Auburn has commitments from four of the top 25 inside and outside linebackers in the nation, at least according to one Internet recruiting service. That linebacker list includes Stamper and the country's No. 1 prospect in Tray Blackmon.

And the Tigers were looking for more top talent this weekend when they hosted Antone Smith, considered in some circles as the No. 1 all-purpose running back in the nation, and the No. 1 defensive lineman prospect in America in Jerrell Powe.

Auburn is also recruiting Warren McFadden, considered by most recruiting services as the top cornerback in the nation.

The Tigers are also competing for The Birmingham News' top prospect in the state in tight end Tommy Trott of Montgomery and have a commitment from the state's No. 2 prospect, receiver Montez Billings of Pelham.

Stamper says he's impressed.

``I keep up with the players and what other schools were recruiting them," he said.

The Tigers have 13 commitments so far, including a weekend pickup of place-kicker Zach Kutch of Milton, Fla. The Tigers plan to sign 20-or-so players. Overall, Auburn has commitments from four linebackers, three offensive linemen, two defensive linemen, two wide receivers and a cornerback and kicker. Most of the commitments, which are not binding, are of the blue-chipper variety, at least according to recruiting services that track such things.

Coach Tommy Tuberville says Auburn's undefeated season has helped attract top talent. "There are a lot of players we're in on now that we weren't at the beginning of the year," he said. "Obviously, that's because of our success. Success really helps your recruiting. It opens a lot of doors. We're going to try and take advantage of it."

The pattern began after the Tigers beat LSU and Tennessee on national television early in the season. Stamper was one who noticed.

``They play the best teams," Stamper said. ``I've seen their games on TV, and that means there would be a lot of exposure for me, too."

Auburn's linebacker commitments are Stamper, Blackmon, Rex Sharpe of Fairfield and Alonzo Horton. The Tigers are also looking at some other heavyweights, including wide receiver Lucas Taylor, who is from Louisiana, and tight end Gabe McKenzie of Mobile.

Auburn entertained six players taking their official visits this weekend, including Smith, the running back from Pahokee, Fla., who showed up at Auburn wearing a Florida Gators jacket, though he doesn't list Florida as one of his top six schools.

Auburn finds itself recruiting Smith against other powerful schools, and although Smith isn't tipping his hand, he said of Auburn's offense: ``It hasn't impressed me a little bit, it has impressed me a lot."

It is safe to assume that Auburn coaches have reminded Smith he could one day replace departing seniors Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown.

Powe is from Waynesboro, Miss., but didn't wear his emotions on his sleeve when he arrived. No school colors from him. At least not yet.

E-mail: cgoldberg@bhamnews.com

LINK

Archived