Bill Maher Calls Out Rush Limbaugh Boycotters

DKW 86

http://dailycaller.c...ugh-boycotters/

I tell yall one thing, i like the new Bill Maher more and more. He is a true definition liberal, not some kneejerk PC robot.

“This may surprise you, but I am not a big fan of Rush Limbaugh,” Maher said during a monologue on his HBO show “Real Time with Bill Maher” on Friday. “However, if you are one of the people with a website devoted to making him go away, you are part of the problem.”

Maher was referencing liberal activists who began organizing the boycott of Limbaugh’s radio show advertisers after comments Limbaugh made in 2012 about birth control activist Sandra Fluke. Websites like StopRush.net track Limbaugh’s advertisers, publishing their contact information. The sites, part of the “Stop Rush” or “Boycott Rush” movement, encourage their thousands of followers to boycott the companies.

“And ironically, you’re not even a proper liberal, because you don’t get free speech,” Maher continued, addressing the boycotters. “You’re just a baby who can’t stand to live in a world where you hear things that upset you.”

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never thought of Maher as one that didn't quite grasp the concept of free speech, but there you go.

Never thought of Maher as one that didn't quite grasp the concept of free speech, but there you go.

Seems you are the one that missed it.

Seems you are the one that missed it.

:laugh:

Nope. I get it. Carry on with your No True Scotsman view of liberals.

Sorry, FREE Speech is for everyone, not just the braindead PC morons.

See, i dont object to you making a fool out of yourself.

That is how this Free Speech-y thing works.

Yeah

One party in this conversation is doing so, and it isn't me.

Awesome. :rolleyes:

The braindead PC morons are exercising their right to free speech by boycotting.

The braindead PC morons are exercising their right to free speech by boycotting.

Actually, that isnt speech. That is the equivalent of shouting down the speaker. When you have FREE SPEECH, everyone gets to speak. The Morons get their turn, and then Maher and i get our turns. The ones that want to block someone else's free speech are those that KNOW that in an Idea Market, when all sides get to be heard, they lose. Therefore they HAVE to resort to shouting down the other sides and not allow them to speak. If the Islamic Extremists just wanted to have a political chat, then that would be fine and indeed proactive. When they want to silence others, that is what it means to deprive others of their Free Speech.

The quote often attributed to Voltaire is correct: "I may disagree with what you say, but i will defend to the death YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT." When you are shouting down, or hampering in any way, the rights of another, then you are by definition limiting another's Free Speech.

It is beyond sad that this has to even be discussed on this forum. What you are advocating is that only those with the mob on their side should be allowed to speak at all. Is that your definition of Fee Speech? Really? Mob Rule=Free Speech?

It is a mockery of intellect for yall to call yourself "Liberals."

The American Left are all about stiffing dissent and opposing views. They don't bother w/ debating , but instead, would rather just force their targets to be shouted down.

I love it when you go on these little screeds.

Actually, that isnt speech. That is the equivalent of shouting down the speaker. When you have FREE SPEECH, everyone gets to speak. The Morons get their turn, and then Maher and i get our turns. The ones that want to block someone else's free speech are those that KNOW that in an Idea Market, when all sides get to be heard, they lose. Therefore they HAVE to resort to shouting down the other sides and not allow them to speak. If the Islamic Extremists just wanted to have a political chat, then that would be fine and indeed proactive. When they want to silence others, that is what it means to deprive others of their Free Speech.

Calling for a boycott is free speech. Those groups are trying to "shout him down" by SOFT means, by boycotts and campaigns to shame his sponsors. That does nothing to infringe on Limbaugh's speech or ability to express it. It only means he might have to switch over to paying for his radio show himself, not having sponsors pay him. He can spout whatever stupidity pops into his brain on any given day. He does not, however, have the right to be free from the consequences of his stupidity, or the even the right to an audience.

Putting pressure on his sponsors is "letting the market decide."

The quote often attributed to Voltaire is correct: "I may disagree with what you say, but i will defend to the death YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT." When you are shouting down, or hampering in any way, the rights of another, then you are by definition limiting another's Free Speech.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to misattribute it to Voltaire." :big:

Again, he can say whatever he wants. The government isn't going to do anything about. Shoot, they've tolerated Fred Phelps and his ilk for 25 years.

To is beyond sad that this has to even be discussed on this forum. What you are advocating is that only those with the mob on there side should be allowed to speak at all. Is that your definition of Fee Speech? Really? Mob Rule=Free Speech?

No. Free speech is is the concept that any person can communicate with any other person, or persons, without fear of unwarranted governmental restriction or censorship. No one is saying he can't continue spewing hate. It's perfectly legal, after all.

To see how far you're willing to carry this concept, try going up to your boss and telling him or her that he or she is a big fat idiot and see if you don't get fired, regardless of how loudly you yell, "free speech".

Boycotting? They are trying to shout down others' Free Speech. They are trying to get to into boycotting advertisers/others in an attempt to silence those they disagree with. Trying to end someone else's Free Speech isnt supporting Free Speech.

Wow, this is sssooo wrong so far i cant even begin to find common ground.

Shouting down or trying to minimize other's Free Speech is the problem.

The Mob doesnt get to rule because one day you wont be siding with the mob.

Adults can entertain the descent of others and go on. It is what adults do. Shouting others down isnt mature or rational. As an adult i fully realize that my views may be un-informed, may change, or that i may be misinformed. You cant correct for issues like that by shouting louder and boycotts.

To see how far you're willing to carry this concept, try going up to your boss and telling him or her that he or she is a big fat idiot and see if you don't get fired, regardless of how loudly you yell, "free speech".

Wow, did you actually type that out?

So Free Speech cant have private consequences? Really? So that whole Revolutionary War thing was about Free Speech. They didnt have consequences when they started the Mad King George bit? Free Speech will certainly have consequences, especially in the work place. My Boss may be or not be a pinhead, AND i can tell him that. He can fire me. But we both get Free Speech. Getting fired is in and of itself Free Speech. Getting fired doesnt limit free speech.

Wow, did you actually type that out?

Yes. To illustrate just how fractally wrong you and your boy Maher are on this matter.

So Free Speech cant have private consequences? Really? So that whole Revolutionary War thing was about Free Speech. They didnt have consequences when they started the Mad? Free Speech will have certainly have consequences, especially in the work place. My Boss may be or not be a pinhead, AND i can tell him that. He can fire me. But we both get Free Speech. Getting fired is in and of itself Free Speech. Getting fired doesnt limit free speech.

Explain the passage in blue, please. I can not parse it.

And the comparison makes sense in this case because Limbaugh losing his sponsors is a "private" consequence, just like your boss firing you.

http://alumni.unc.edu/article.aspx?sid=6661

Letters from readers...

Speaker Tancredo Shut Down; Police Tangle With Protesters

Every time I see new coverage (Carolina Alumni Review, this time) on how Rep. Tancredo was treated I am again embarrassed to be part of the larger UNC community. Although I read of the outrage the University has, and I have read he has been invited back, I wonder, will he be allowed his due to speak? The students were exercising their right to free speech, but with that comes responsibility, specifically the responsibility to recognize another's right to free speech. In disrupting his right to free speech, do they not become just what they abhor?

i never thought of DKW86 as one who didnt grasp it either but he is totally lost on this concept.

I am supporting Maher in that Maher recognizes that Free Speech is ugly and welcomed.

I totally dislike Fred Phillips and his band of illiterates. But he gets free speech too. I can ignore them but taking action to prohibit him/them from speaking is wrong. Let them speak and declare their craziness to the world. If you choose to not do business with someone that is okay by me. I would quietly boycott anyone that supported that nutjob. But trying to shout all people down because you disagree with a statement they made is not Free Speech. Free Speech in my view is like a disinfectant. The world is a better place the more it is used because it reveals the true crazies out there.

I dislike Tancredo. But the best thing for me to do is to let that crazy old fool keep talking.

The American Left are all about stiffing dissent and opposing views. They don't bother w/ debating , but instead, would rather just force their targets to be shouted down.

Raptor, sadly, you are way too spot on on your comments.

The Left, the supposed defenders of Freedom, cant see the forest for the trees it seems.

Let me say it this way: Sometimes, the BEST way to illuminate your verbal adversary to shut up and let the fool keep talking.

IE: Tancredo, Phelps, Cruz, Alan Grayson, Krugman, and others...

Example:

10322807_10152095334070197_2137170098069669927_n.jpg

Raptor, sadly, you are way too spot on on your comments.

The Left, the supposed defenders of Freedom, cant see the forest for the trees it seems.

It's a concept that escapes you and Raptor.

Let me say it this way: Sometimes, the BEST way to illuminate your verbal adversary to shut up and let the fool keep talking.

IE: Tancredo, Phelps, Cruz, Alan Grayson, Krugman, and others...

You mean e.g. /pedantry

Not that it has any bearing on the argument here, but sometimes it is not. Google: Rwandan Genocide Hate Radio.

Example Strawman:

10322807_10152095334070197_2137170098069669927_n.jpg

It is beyond sad that this has to even be discussed on this forum. What you are advocating is that only those with the mob on their side should be allowed to speak at all. Is that your definition of Fee Speech? Really? Mob Rule=Free Speech?

So those who boycotted the Dixie Chicks were morons?

I don't get his implied connection between boycotting and censorship.

It's totally illogical. Boycotting the advertisers of someone who is promulgating hate speech - even if just in your opinion - is not censorship at all. It's perfectly legitimate and logical.

What in hell are you talking about? Who is getting "shouted down"?

Who is stiffling dissent and how exactly are they doing it?

This thread is becoming a straw man factory.

Who is stiffling dissent and how exactly are they doing it?

This thread is becoming a straw man factory.

Reread the first post, dingus.

Then, after that, try to recall all the time conservative speakers at colleges were shouted down, before or even DURING their speech, and then compare that to the times Leftist speakers had the same done to them.

Your willful blindness and ignorance on this matter, on most matters, is extremely tedious. I hope you're not actually like this in real life.

Boycotting? They are trying to shout down others' Free Speech. They are trying to get to into boycotting advertisers/others in an attempt to silence those they disagree with. Trying to end someone else's Free Speech isnt supporting Free Speech.

Wow, this is sssooo wrong so far i cant even begin to find common ground.

Shouting down or trying to minimize other's Free Speech is the problem.

The Mob doesnt get to rule because one day you wont be siding with the mob.

Adults can entertain the descent of others and go on. It is what adults do. Shouting others down isnt mature or rational. As an adult i fully realize that my views may be un-informed, may change, or that i may be misinformed. You cant correct for issues like that by shouting louder and boycotts.

Do you seriously believe that the religious right (for example) has never called for a boycott? EVERYONE boycotts businesses that proselytize if they don't agree with the position.

Boycotts are just as traditional as free speech in this country. They have NOTHING to do with "shouting down" someone. You really don't see that?

If not, you have no business talking about a "mockery of intellect".

Of course, free speech, as we all know, has more to do w/ the GOVERNMENT not silencing political thought.

Archived