2015 5* DE Byron Cowart commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bingo. As I've maintained all day, the ONLY holdup for Cowart was where Jefferson was going. Had NOTHING to do with Cowart's high school coach.

Jordan Griffin wasn't a 5-star recruit that the University of Florida was hopeful they would land to help close out a disastrous signing class. Florida didn't even want Jordan Griffin. The two scenarios aren't even remotely similar. Elite recruits from Armwood HS almost always end up signing with Florida; with the HC's son just being hired as an assistant at Florida you can bet he felt some incentive to try and do anything in his power to potentially alter Cowart's decision.

The whole "waiting for CeCe" theory doesn't even make any sense. Cowart's REAL close tie in this class was Ryan Davis who had already committed and SIGNED with Auburn while all this hoopla was going on, therefore why would he all of a sudden give a crap about where CeCe ended up? His closest friend already had his NLI in at Auburn.

Bingo. As I've maintained all day, the ONLY holdup for Cowart was where Jefferson was going. Had NOTHING to do with Cowart's high school coach.

Jordan Griffin wasn't a 5-star recruit that the University of Florida was hopeful they would land to help close out a disastrous signing class. Florida didn't even want Jordan Griffin. The two scenarios aren't even remotely similar. Elite recruits from Armwood HS almost always end up signing with Florida; with the HC's son just being hired as an assistant at Florida you can bet he felt some incentive to try and do anything in his power to potentially alter Cowart's decision.

The whole "waiting for CeCe" theory doesn't even make any sense. Cowart's REAL close tie in this class was Ryan Davis who had already committed and SIGNED with Auburn while all this hoopla was going on, therefore why would he all of a sudden give a crap about where CeCe ended up? His closest friend already had his NLI in at Auburn.

https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1733570&PT=4&PR=2

Farrell added Cowart "said he was waiting to see where CeCe Jefferson went

.....but either way he was going to "go with his heart"

The kid was probably disoriented, and if you read some of the interviews that reporters posted along the way today a lot of them were trying to draw information out of him by using loaded questions.

So what exactly was the point of waiting for CeCe to announce? CeCe announced to Florida and the end result was Cowart almost immediately afterwards reaffirming his commitment with Auburn and sending his NLI in. Clearly the CeCe announcement played zero impact in his overall decision, so what was the point of Cowart holding out for him? It would have made sense if CeCe chose Florida and Cowart ultimately followed, but the exact opposite happened. In fact, after CeCe's announcement he told reporters at the scene that he hadn't even spoken to Cowart at all today. So Cowart was pointlessly waiting around for the announcement of a kid that he hadn't even talked to all day? WHY LOL?

Better yet; his mother clearly had zero knowledge of this supposed plan to "see where CeCe went" as she was as confused as everyone else with regards to why his NLI had not been faxed. So much so that she ultimately had to go back to the school to see WTF was going on. Her response was the same as his.

Look; maybe Cowart was a bit unsure in his decision, but you can't tell me for a second that there wasn't some shady s*** going on behind the scenes here at a school that is a known UF feeder program with a head coach who's son literally just got hired at UF. Explain the "closed door" meeting between the school's Principal, AD, and Coach that ultimately occurred after the bad-publicity story about the Coach "holding" his NLI broke all over the internet. The reality is that the Coach likely got reamed in that meeting in a "WTF are you doing?" type confrontation. This Coach has already had a state title taken away and had the program put on 3-year probation with fines for knowingly playing ineligible players, therefore he already has a record of operating under the notion that he is "above the law".

FWIW, Jordan Griffin's (Cowart's teammate & Vandy signee) NLI went in at 8:30 AM.

Wrong. Cowart even said to Mike Farrell that he thought his coach might be trying to send in both of them to get him in trouble or something.

I've no idea what the coach was doing, but it's the height of idiocy to sit here and make a statement like the "ONLY" holdup was CeCe. It takes willful ignorance of everything that has come out about it today to say such a thing.

Wrong. Cowart even said to Mike Farrell that he thought his coach might be trying to send in both of them to get him in trouble or something.

The Coach also tried to explain not sending the NLI in by stating something along the lines of: "Cowart and his family and mentor only wanted to commit today, not sign" while his mother's reaction was LITERALLY: "Uhhh, I have no idea why the NLI isn't in. It was supposed to be sent". So what are we concluding, that the kid's own mother wasn't up to date with the fact that supposedly her son actually WASN'T signing today? You'd have to assume that if that were the "plan" she would have known about it, instead of having to race back to the school to make sure herself that the NLI was sent in.

The kid was probably disoriented, and if you read some of the interviews that reporters posted along the way today a lot of them were trying to draw information out of him by using loaded questions.

So what exactly was the point of waiting for CeCe to announce? CeCe announced to Florida and the end result was Cowart almost immediately afterwards reaffirming his commitment with Auburn and sending his NLI in. Clearly the CeCe announcement played zero impact in his overall decision, so what was the point of Cowart holding out for him? It would have made sense if CeCe chose Florida and Cowart ultimately followed, but the exact opposite happened. In fact, after CeCe's announcement he told reporters at the scene that he hadn't even spoken to Cowart at all today. So Cowart was pointlessly waiting around for the announcement of a kid that he hadn't even talked to all day? WHY LOL?

Perhaps...PLAYING TIME??? At the SAME EXACT position??? LOL

Clearly zero impact immediately after the Jefferson announcement. No coincidence...WHAT-SO-FREAKING-EVER. Not after Jefferson's announcement! LOL

Oh right...no worries...the #1 SDE ALWAYS beats out the #2 SDE in practice and therefore starts. LOL

I'll insert an additional "LOL" for dramatics........

LOL

PLEASE.....OH condescending one...GRACE us with more FACTUAL holier than thou ASSUMPTIONS.

Better yet; his mother clearly had zero knowledge of this supposed plan to "see where CeCe went" as she was as confused as everyone else with regards to why his NLI had not been faxed. So much so that she ultimately had to go back to the school to see WTF was going on. Her response was the same as his.

Look; maybe Cowart was a bit unsure in his decision, but you can't tell me for a second that there wasn't some shady s*** going on behind the scenes here at a school that is a known UF feeder program with a head coach who's son literally just got hired at UF. Explain the "closed door" meeting between the school's Principal, AD, and Coach that ultimately occurred after the bad-publicity story about the Coach "holding" his NLI broke all over the internet. The reality is that the Coach likely got reamed in that meeting in a "WTF are you doing?" type confrontation. This Coach has already had a state title taken away and had the program put on 3-year probation with fines for knowingly playing ineligible players, therefore he already has a record of operating under the notion that he is "above the law".

Amen. Let's set the record straight. I've been checking this out since I got home from work. See above posts.

The yahoo and espn story both point out then details that point to the mother and byron himself contradicting a shady coach. Maybe he was making sure, after a certain high school coach kept asking him are you sure. His mom checked him out, they left and had to go back and get it sorted out.why come back? Wasn't the coach going to send it? Sherlock would tell you the game is afoot...

I'm glad we came out on the winning side of this one and hope this gets exposed in the next few days.

WDE

The Coach also tried to explain not sending the NLI in by stating something along the lines of: "Cowart and his family and mentor only wanted to commit today, not sign" while his mother's reaction was LITERALLY: "Uhhh, I have no idea why the NLI isn't in. It was supposed to be sent". So what are we concluding, that the kid's own mother wasn't up to date with the fact that supposedly her son actually WASN'T signing today? You'd have to assume that if that were the "plan" she would have known about it, instead of having to race back to the school to make sure herself that the NLI was sent in.

So you're saying Cowart has no balls. No testicular fortitude to FAX his own freaking NLI himself??? ALL freaking day long??? He can't do it without his coach or his momma? When literally THOUSANDS of kids have done so quite effortlessly prior to him, EVEN WITH Gus & Boom likely ringing him every 5 seconds on his cell telling him how to push "SEND" on a FAX machine???

Really? Has it come to "momma taking care of the FAX"? Are you seriously saying Cowart is that idiotic when he had ALL freaking day to FAX a freaking letter in???

Right...every 5 seconds, his coach looks over and sees "Coach Malzahn" and "Coach Muschamp" popping up on Cowart's cell and says, "Don't answer that!"

Then SUDDENLY, at 2:15PM EST, Cowart has an epiphany! "OH! I'm going to sign with Auburn!"

NOOOOOOOOOOOO coincidence at all that Jefferson announced FIVE hours after he did. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....NONE at ALL. Not after Jefferson to AU rumors. Hell no.

Oh wait.......

LOL

Amen. Let's set the record straight. I've been checking this out since I got home from work. See above posts.

The yahoo and espn story both point out then details that point to the mother and byron himself contradicting a shady coach. Maybe he was making sure, after a certain high school coach kept asking him are you sure. His mom checked him out, they left and had to go back and get it sorted out.why come back? Wasn't the coach going to send it? Sherlock would tell you the game is afoot...

I'm glad we came out on the winning side of this one and hope this gets exposed in the next few days.

WDE

WHY would it be left up to the high school coach to FAX it? Was Cowart handcuffed and held hostage until Jefferson announced? And then momma coincidentally reappeared?

C'mon. 48 Hours and Dateline cant make this up.

FWIW, Jordan Griffin's (Cowart's teammate & Vandy signee) NLI went in at 8:30 AM.

I've no idea what the coach was doing, but it's the height of idiocy to sit here and make a statement like the "ONLY" holdup was CeCe. It takes willful ignorance of everything that has come out about it today to say such a thing.

To add to that, who faxed in Jordan's NLI? Was it Jordan himself or did the coach tell both of them he would handle it? Knowing this might shed some light on the situation as well.

Here's the deal guys....ESPN reported live that they had just spoken to Cowart on the phone and that he was only 95 percent sure that he was going to AU and that he wanted to see where CeCe was going to make sure he was making the right decision. Several prominent sports writers said Cowart told them very similar things. It seems one writer was claiming that Byron was blaming the coach.

So here is the tale of the tape.

Either ESPN flat out lied on the air, along with several prominent sports writers throughout the day......

OR....Byron hadn't made his mind up yet and didn't think clearly about what he was telling one badgering writer while under a lot of pressure...

I'll let you make your own minds up, but these are the facts and the main options

Here's the deal guys....ESPN reported live that they had just spoken to Cowart on the phone and that he was only 95 percent sure that he was going to AU and that he wanted to see where CeCe was going to make sure he was making the right decision. Several prominent sports writers said Cowart told them very similar things. It seems one writer was claiming that Byron was blaming the coach.

So here is the tale of the tape.

Either ESPN flat out lied on the air, along with several prominent sports writers throughout the day......

OR....Byron hadn't made his mind up yet and didn't think clearly about what he was telling one badgering writer while under a lot of pressure...

I'll let you make your own minds up, but these are the facts and the main options

And we all know ESPN doesn't lie, cause AU obviously paid Cams' father.....right.

Cowart maintained all day that he was going to Auburn.....as did his mother.

The interesting thing is the comments made by one of his Tampa 7 coaches on Twitter who basically accused Callahan of pushing his players to UF and acting in a way that would "benefit" his son's position at UF. That coach's own son was a highly rated recruit at Armwood under Callahan who choose to leave the state so I am sure he has some experience with that. Apparently that coach was also banned from Cowart's ceremony by Callahan.

Its been said all thru his recruitment that Cowart's mentors were his Tampa 7 coaches NOT the Armwood coaches and that there was a "strained" relationship with them.....which came out a bit this week when Callahan basically called Cowart lazy in an interview. Who makes comments like that about your prized player? That man sounded bitter all thru that interview.

From CeCe's comments at his announcement it sounded like Cowart was trying to get CeCe to Auburn.....Cece stated several times he had to "do what was best for him". I don't think Cowart was necessarily going to follow Cece at all.....it sounded like he was hoping CeCe would follow HIM.

I do think Cowart struggles with being so far from his mother and probably had to get LOTS of reassurance from her that going to Auburn was going to be ok with her....and I think it is. I think she really trusts Muschamp and the rest of this staff. It has seemed like going to AU was a "heart" decision for him and UF would have been to be able to stay close to home, period...and momma let him follow his heart. There have been lots of people say thru the process that Byron looks for "father figures" to lean on and Muschamp has (and will ) be that for him.

Needless to say, this coach seemed to have pulled something shady and I don't think anyone can really deny that.....but remember, AU probably would still like to recruit Armwood and Cowart still has several months there......so I would think an amicable PR resolution to this was probably reached (probably inside that closed door meeting with the AD, principal and coach). That coach's comments were off.....and then all of a sudden the 7 on 7 coach and momma gets involved and the letter gets sent.

There was also some talk that UF pulled Ryan Davis's offer at the last minute when they felt they would not get Cowart.....their only interest in him apparently was to help bring in Cowart. This ticked his Tampa coach off.

Not trying to stir things up, but; so maybe a little, I watched all day yesterday, got no work done. Anyone thinking that Byron had no part in this delay in sending the fax in is just wrong. I think he wanted more time. He is like many confused HS kids. He would have like to play with CeCe and he did want to see where CeCe was signing. I think the coach was told NOT to fax the paperwork in. I think Cowart likes AU, CWM, and others at AU as well as the plan we laid out for him. We were his leader but he wanted to play with other defensive talent if he could. He had a tough choice, and we still won.

I personally think Cowart's final choice of AU came down to his mom. I think she told him to sign and fax the paper in.I think there may be a good chance that she moves to the AU area.

The interesting thing is the comments made by one of his Tampa 7 coaches on Twitter who basically accused Callahan of pushing his players to UF and acting in a way that would "benefit" his son's position at UF. That coach's own son was a highly rated recruit at Armwood under Callahan who choose to leave the state so I am sure he has some experience with that. Apparently that coach was also banned from Cowart's ceremony by Callahan.

Its been said all thru his recruitment that Cowart's mentors were his Tampa 7 coaches NOT the Armwood coaches and that there was a "strained" relationship with them.....which came out a bit this week when Callahan basically called Cowart lazy in an interview. Who makes comments like that about your prized player? That man sounded bitter all thru that interview.

From CeCe's comments at his announcement it sounded like Cowart was trying to get CeCe to Auburn.....Cece stated several times he had to "do what was best for him". I don't think Cowart was necessarily going to follow Cece at all.....it sounded like he was hoping CeCe would follow HIM.

I do think Cowart struggles with being so far from his mother and probably had to get LOTS of reassurance from her that going to Auburn was going to be ok with her....and I think it is. I think she really trusts Muschamp and the rest of this staff. It has seemed like going to AU was a "heart" decision for him and UF would have been to be able to stay close to home, period...and momma let him follow his heart. There have been lots of people say thru the process that Byron looks for "father figures" to lean on and Muschamp has (and will ) be that for him.

Needless to say, this coach seemed to have pulled something shady and I don't think anyone can really deny that.....but remember, AU probably would still like to recruit Armwood and Cowart still has several months there......so I would think an amicable PR resolution to this was probably reached (probably inside that closed door meeting with the AD, principal and coach). That coach's comments were off.....and then all of a sudden the 7 on 7 coach and momma gets involved and the letter gets sent.

There was also some talk that UF pulled Ryan Davis's offer at the last minute when they felt they would not get Cowart.....their only interest in him apparently was to help bring in Cowart. This ticked his Tampa coach off.

That would be crazy for FL to pull Ryan Davis's offer. FL was having a very tough time filling out a complete class. I seriously doubt they would pull a 4* Athletes offer. FL took a commitment from McGriff, our former 4* WR commit. AU dropped him because we knew he was not making his grades. FL signed him, using one of their commitments, even knowing there is no way he could sign. He actually helped pull FL's recruiting class into the top 25.

Not trying to stir things up, but; so maybe a little, I watched all day yesterday, got no work done. Anyone thinking that Byron had no part in this delay in sending the fax in is just wrong. I think he wanted more time. He is like many confused HS kids. He would have like to play with CeCe and he did want to see where CeCe was signing. I think the coach was told NOT to fax the paperwork in. I think Cowart likes AU, CWM, and others at AU as well as the plan we laid out for him. We were his leader but he wanted to play with other defensive talent if he could. He had a tough choice, and we still won.

I personally think Cowart's final choice of AU came down to his mom. I think she told him to sign and fax the paper in.I think there may be a good chance that she moves to the AU area.

Lots of "thinking" but no facts....and certainly many of the "thoughts" are inconsistent with what most people close to the situation are saying.

As for the confusion...and blaming Cowart. The guy is a HS kid, not an adult, he is used to being told what to do, not telling adults what they should do...and coaches have a huge influence on a kid in his situation.

Considering that the coach has a bit of a history....I'm putting all of this on the coach who was "looking out for the best interest of his player"...which is code for "I know best".

FWIW I believe every word of ^^THIS^^. I heard the exact same thing about Ryan Davis' offer. I think the only reason Cowart waited, was to make sure the "package deal" stayed true.

Welp, Ryan Davis did not get an LOI from UF so......

Maybe because he was signing with Auburn and had told the coaches?

Or maybe something shady was going down?

This could play out a million ways. Anyone saying they know for sure one way or another is just closed minded and wants to believe one way or another. Heck, I'm not even sure Cowarts mom knows what really happened yesterday, let alone people not involved in the situation. There were lies spreading like wildfire yesterday. Somewhere in there I'm sure the truth came out....but there is no way to know what it was. It is all just educated guesses. No sense in arguing either way..we got our guy and that is the only truth that matters.

So you're saying Cowart has no balls. No testicular fortitude to FAX his own freaking NLI himself??? ALL freaking day long??? He can't do it without his coach or his momma? When literally THOUSANDS of kids have done so quite effortlessly prior to him, EVEN WITH Gus & Boom likely ringing him every 5 seconds on his cell telling him how to push "SEND" on a FAX machine???

Really? Has it come to "momma taking care of the FAX"? Are you seriously saying Cowart is that idiotic when he had ALL freaking day to FAX a freaking letter in???

Right...every 5 seconds, his coach looks over and sees "Coach Malzahn" and "Coach Muschamp" popping up on Cowart's cell and says, "Don't answer that!"

Then SUDDENLY, at 2:15PM EST, Cowart has an epiphany! "OH! I'm going to sign with Auburn!"

NOOOOOOOOOOOO coincidence at all that Jefferson announced FIVE hours after he did. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....NONE at ALL. Not after Jefferson to AU rumors. Hell no.

Oh wait.......

LOL

TROLL!!

Perhaps...PLAYING TIME??? At the SAME EXACT position??? LOL

Clearly zero impact immediately after the Jefferson announcement. No coincidence...WHAT-SO-FREAKING-EVER. Not after Jefferson's announcement! LOL

Oh right...no worries...the #1 SDE ALWAYS beats out the #2 SDE in practice and therefore starts. LOL

I'll insert an additional "LOL" for dramatics........

LOL

PLEASE.....OH condescending one...GRACE us with more FACTUAL holier than thou ASSUMPTIONS.

You accusing meta of making assumptions? That's funny. :-\

Why are you trying to cover for this coach? Is he a relative or something?

WDE

WHY would it be left up to the high school coach to FAX it? Was Cowart handcuffed and held hostage until Jefferson announced? And then momma coincidentally reappeared?

C'mon. 48 Hours and Dateline cant make this up.

I think you just answered your own question...

Too many people saying that coach is shady.

I read where he said it was a 'family member'. That coach was making it up or telling the kid to take his time. Evidence is stacked.

Glad we survived. War eagle

Archived