2015 5* DE Byron Cowart commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

Not trying to stir things up, but; so maybe a little, I watched all day yesterday, got no work done. Anyone thinking that Byron had no part in this delay in sending the fax in is just wrong. I think he wanted more time. He is like many confused HS kids. He would have like to play with CeCe and he did want to see where CeCe was signing. I think the coach was told NOT to fax the paperwork in. I think Cowart likes AU, CWM, and others at AU as well as the plan we laid out for him. We were his leader but he wanted to play with other defensive talent if he could. He had a tough choice, and we still won.

I personally think Cowart's final choice of AU came down to his mom. I think she told him to sign and fax the paper in.I think there may be a good chance that she moves to the AU area.

Lots of "thinking" but no facts....and certainly many of the "thoughts" are inconsistent with what most people close to the situation are saying.

As for the confusion...and blaming Cowart. The guy is a HS kid, not an adult, he is used to being told what to do, not telling adults what they should do...and coaches have a huge influence on a kid in his situation.

Considering that the coach has a bit of a history....I'm putting all of this on the coach who was "looking out for the best interest of his player"...which is code for "I know best".

One of the guys that covers recruiting for ESPN, can't remember his name, was on with Freddie Coleman last night on the radio. He spoke with Byron throughout the day and he said that Byron told him he wanted to take a little extra time to make sure. He was 95% sure about Auburn but wanted that last little bit of time to confirm everything in his own mind. TIFWIW.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have we explored the possibility that Cowart didn't want to go where CeCe was going? Seems every other possibility has been considered.

So many different stories coming from these reporters only confuses things. I am gonna ride with what the kid said after his committment and go with that because it's the only factual thing I have heard Byron say. Yes the coach is shady that goes without saying. And maybe Byron was unsure but I don't think it was on his on, he was sure about AU he said it....IMO someone in his ear wanted him to think a bit longer. For this kids sake it may be best for him to be at AU and away from some of these handler type folks.

So many different stories coming from these reporters only confuses things. I am gonna ride with what the kid said after his committment and go with that because it's the only factual thing I have heard Byron say. Yes the coach is shady that goes without saying. And maybe Byron was unsure but I don't think it was on his on, he was sure about AU he said it....IMO someone in his ear wanted him to think a bit longer. For this kids sake it may be best for him to be at AU and away from some of these handler type folks.

Good thought.

Have we explored the possibility that Cowart didn't want to go where CeCe was going? Seems every other possibility has been considered.

This is a possibility, but one would think that Cowart would have waited until AFTER Jefferson made his announcement if that were the case. It seems from reading the posts from folks on here that pretty much no one thought Jefferson would choose Auburn (but I don't think anyone thought he'd go to Florida, either. It seemed like Ole Miss was the leader).

So I officially don't like Luke Stampini from the UF 247 site. Dude is a serious homer. Pretty much said that this was Byron's fault, and Cece is better than Cowart anyway. Butthurt is strong with that one.

There sure seems to be a lot of conflicting stories on this. Cowart saying he didn't know why the LOI was not faxed by the coach and the coach saying Cowart told him to hold off on faxing it. I wonder if this is worthy of an investigation, whether by the NCAA or the State of Florida athletic association, especially since this coach has already had issues with them in the past. I guess some will come to the thought that since Cowart still ended up at Auburn, it's a case of "no harm, no foul.

It does seem like Auburn goes through some kind of recruiting drama on NSD nearly every year. This is the first that I can recall that AU actually came out the winner.

There sure seems to be a lot of conflicting stories on this. Cowart saying he didn't know why the LOI was not faxed by the coach and the coach saying Cowart told him to hold off on faxing it. I wonder if this is worthy of an investigation, whether by the NCAA or the State of Florida athletic association, especially since this coach has already had issues with them in the past. I guess some will come to the thought that since Cowart still ended up at Auburn, it's a case of "no harm, no foul.

It does seem like Auburn goes through some kind of recruiting drama on NSD nearly every year. This is the first that I can recall that AU actually came out the winner.

Lets let the paint dry and I'll explain this one. Both were at fault.

So I officially don't like Luke Stampini from the UF 247 site. Dude is a serious homer. Pretty much said that this was Byron's fault, and Cece is better than Cowart anyway. Butthurt is strong with that one.

Safe to say Cowart is not popular with anyone connected to UF.

In the end, it really is all just pure speculation as to what caused the delay and confusion. We will never know for sure and it's all a moot point now. He's on board and that is what matters. The past is the past and nothing we do or say is going to change it.

In the end, it really is all just pure speculation as to what caused the delay and confusion. We will never know for sure and it's all a moot point now. He's on board and that is what matters.

It's known. I'll explain later. Like I said both were at fault, not just the coach.

Welp, Ryan Davis did not get an LOI from UF so......

Maybe because he was signing with Auburn and had told the coaches?

Or maybe something shady was going down?

This could play out a million ways. Anyone saying they know for sure one way or another is just closed minded and wants to believe one way or another. Heck, I'm not even sure Cowarts mom knows what really happened yesterday, let alone people not involved in the situation. There were lies spreading like wildfire yesterday. Somewhere in there I'm sure the truth came out....but there is no way to know what it was. It is all just educated guesses. No sense in arguing either way..we got our guy and that is the only truth that matters.

^^^This all day long and twice on Sunday

Cowart maintained all day that he was going to Auburn.....as did his mother.

The interesting thing is the comments made by one of his Tampa 7 coaches on Twitter who basically accused Callahan of pushing his players to UF and acting in a way that would "benefit" his son's position at UF. That coach's own son was a highly rated recruit at Armwood under Callahan who choose to leave the state so I am sure he has some experience with that. Apparently that coach was also banned from Cowart's ceremony by Callahan.

Its been said all thru his recruitment that Cowart's mentors were his Tampa 7 coaches NOT the Armwood coaches and that there was a "strained" relationship with them.....which came out a bit this week when Callahan basically called Cowart lazy in an interview. Who makes comments like that about your prized player? That man sounded bitter all thru that interview.

From CeCe's comments at his announcement it sounded like Cowart was trying to get CeCe to Auburn.....Cece stated several times he had to "do what was best for him". I don't think Cowart was necessarily going to follow Cece at all.....it sounded like he was hoping CeCe would follow HIM.

I do think Cowart struggles with being so far from his mother and probably had to get LOTS of reassurance from her that going to Auburn was going to be ok with her....and I think it is. I think she really trusts Muschamp and the rest of this staff. It has seemed like going to AU was a "heart" decision for him and UF would have been to be able to stay close to home, period...and momma let him follow his heart. There have been lots of people say thru the process that Byron looks for "father figures" to lean on and Muschamp has (and will ) be that for him.

Needless to say, this coach seemed to have pulled something shady and I don't think anyone can really deny that.....but remember, AU probably would still like to recruit Armwood and Cowart still has several months there......so I would think an amicable PR resolution to this was probably reached (probably inside that closed door meeting with the AD, principal and coach). That coach's comments were off.....and then all of a sudden the 7 on 7 coach and momma gets involved and the letter gets sent.

There was also some talk that UF pulled Ryan Davis's offer at the last minute when they felt they would not get Cowart.....their only interest in him apparently was to help bring in Cowart. This ticked his Tampa coach off.

+1

In the end, it really is all just pure speculation as to what caused the delay and confusion. We will never know for sure and it's all a moot point now. He's on board and that is what matters.

It's known. I'll explain later. Like I said both were at fault, not just the coach.

Ok cool. Stuff happens and he's here so we're good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, it could be worse.... It could have turned into THIS: http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015/02/04/breaking-roquan-smith-explains-what-the-heck-is-going-on-with-ucla-vs-uga/

QUOTE: Roquan Smith’s coach told the AJC on Wednesday evening that Smith has re-opened his recruitment, and will take a couple of days to figure things out. “He’s going to open things up with his recruiting,” Macon County’s Larry Harold said. “It’s pretty much UGA, Michigan, and Texas A&M – and UCLA is still in it. Coach Ulbrich told him that he hasn’t signed anything yet (with the Falcons), and that he hasn’t made a decision. So I think they are still in it as well. We’re going to sit back for a couple of days and see how this thing plays out.”

Bryon had some indecision and an unscrupulous coach tried to take advantage of that. Neither side was telling the complete truth which lies somewhere in between. We got him, props to the staff.

Just don't see the point of lying and saying he signed two if he didn't

I can think of a couple of different reasons, some being selfish and some being trying to protect your player. The whole situation turned into a big old mess and the fact that they had a closed door meeting suggests something dumb happened. But we'll probably never know the full truth of what went down yesterday. The important thing is he chose Auburn and he's one of ours now so we got his back. :)

Lets let the paint dry and I'll explain this one. Both were at fault.

the sun is shining and the wind is blowing, so paint dries quick....it passed the touch test....as much as I agonized through that fiasco yesterday, I want to hear the real story

Bryon had some indecision and an unscrupulous coach tried to take advantage of that. Neither side was telling the complete truth which lies somewhere in between. We got him, props to the staff.

I think this is probably true. That coach was obviously pushing UF and was highly tuned to any hint of indecision from Byron. Based on something Byron said or did, he thought there was a chance and intervened to push it.

Archived