2017 4* ATH Alaric Williams

CameronCrazy

19 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

In today's high school world, you have to try pretty hard (or really not give a crap, or have some learning disability) to not be successful academically.

Being successful academically & meeting NCAA's requirements aren't always the same thing. The NCAA has a strict guideline for classes that must be gotten credit for going all the way through the 9th grade year now. TBH  most high schools don't have guidance counselors that know the NCAA requirements therefore it's easy for kids to take the wrong classes early & get behind just due to not taking the NCAA yearly required curriculum classes even if they are making quality grades.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope bigbird read this. I have a feeling he thought I was making that up.

tenor.gif

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes & yes. I think at one time there was a plan to get him qualified. I think he just stumbled along the way & based on his tweet I think he didn't take it seriously til it was too late.

Fact. Kid dropped the ball big time. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Fact. Kid dropped the ball big time. 

And we were recruiting him as a running back? Man. I remember the good ol' days when it was only QBs that Gus didn't know how to evaluate. 

:rimshot:

What Class of 2017 RB news means for Auburn

The positive news on the Armour-Davis front didn’t trickle over to Alaric Williams.

Williams’ academic situation has been a topic of conversation throughout last fall and this spring. The 4-star running back always remained optimistic that he’d reach the ACT and GPA thresholds needed to qualify to play football for Auburn — a school he’d grown up hoping to play for.

On Thursday night, he confirmed what many had forecasted for a while: Williams will have to take the junior college route to return to the Division-I ranks.

He will attend Garden City C.C. (Kan.) in hopes of one day re-signing with the Auburn Tigers, if they still plan to recruit him.

Williams posted a long, heartfelt message that should be a lesson to the future football recruits out there.

“I appreciate the Auburn staff and family for believing in me and giving me a chance. I would also like to give a message to young recruits who are being highly recruited. School is something you do not play with and I wish I would’ve realized that from the day I started high school. There is a lot of hype that comes with recruiting but never let the hype take you off the path you’ve always dreamed. In this time of JUCO, I will strive to be a student-athlete,” Williams wrote. “Thank you Auburn and I will be back.”

He received an outpouring of support from coaches, fans, fellow recruits and some of his teammates who were expecting to join Williams on campus in two days. Noah Igbinoghene, who was set to be Williams’ roommate, responded with a particularly warm message.

This won’t be the last you hear of Alaric Williams.

But what does it mean for Auburn’s running backs depth chart?

Here’s what it looks like heading into the 2017 season:

• Kamryn Pettway
  • Kerryon Johnson
  • Malik Miller
  • Kam Martin
  • Devan Barrett

Here’s what it could look like in the 2018 season:

• Malik Miller
  • Kam Martin
  • Devan Barrett

That’s puts a premium on running back recruiting in the 2018 recruiting class now. Shaun Shivers is already committed in the class, but I expect Auburn will use him in a multi-purpose role that includes standard hand offs, jet sweeps, screen passes, slot receiver plays and potentially more.

As Auburn searches for its feature backs in this class, the four names to narrow in on are Master Teague III, Asa Martin, Harold Joiner and Tae Provens. Other prospects could surface through summer camps or judgements Gus Malzahn, Chip Lindseyy and Tim Horton made during the spring evaluation period.

Teague and Martin are clear-cut feature running back quality, and if Auburn could find a way to convince both to sign with the Tigers, that would be a game-changer. Joiner adds versatility and the ability to play some wide receiver, as well, basically making him the 6-foot-3 version of Shivers. Provens hasn’t been recruited by the Tigers much lately, but he could be the guy Auburn goes after with a couple of other misses.

Provens has been mostly recruited by Tennessee and Louisville, but has always dreamed of playing for the Tigers, so Auburn would be in a position to make a late push with him.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And we were recruiting him as a running back? Man. I remember the good ol' days when it was only QBs that Gus didn't know how to evaluate. 

:rimshot:

There should be a "Like this... reluctantly" button.

13 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Good luck to the kid . Academics can't be pushed aside . Hope he does what it takes to make it back to AU

Just to touch on this again . I didn't have the grades either and it wasant until later in life that I took that seriously. I will  have my MBA in a few years . This is just another opportunity for this young man to get better. 

10 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Just to touch on this again . I didn't have the grades either and it wasant until later in life that I took that seriously. I will  have my MBA in a few years . This is just another opportunity for this young man to get better. 

I did the 10 year program. For my 4 year degree. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I did the 10 year program. For my 4 year degree. 

Me too Sir .. it's a marathon not a sprint

I like the way Williams has taken this and the advice he has given out to other young players.

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

I like the way Williams has taken this and the advice he has given out to other young players.

Agree. Very mature of him. Hopefully a lot of other recruits learn from his experience.

7 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Agree. Very mature of him. Hopefully a lot of other recruits learn from his experience.

Thanks...hated to see folks  rag on him.  He made a mistake and knows it...and seems ready to take care of business.  Wishing him the best...and hope he is back.

So are there any positions at which we have good depth?

I hope to god everyone got the memo with Jovon and Character and keeps their head screwed on over the summer. :/

13 hours ago, AUwent said:

So are there any positions at which we have good depth?

I hope to god everyone got the memo with Jovon and Character and keeps their head screwed on over the summer. :/

Long snapper.  ?

Every position can have good depth and then one or two people leave for whatever reason (academics, playing time, injury, trouble, leaving early,etc.) and all of a sudden that position does not have good depth. With scholarship limits it doesn't take much to change a position of strength into a depth issue.

• 9 months later...

@ellitor do you know if there are plans to recruit this guy again? He would be in this class wouldn't he? Because he played for them last season, then this upcoming season which would have him in this class if I understand it correctly...

35 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

@ellitor do you know if there are plans to recruit this guy again? He would be in this class wouldn't he? Because he played for them last season, then this upcoming season which would have him in this class if I understand it correctly...

I have heard that AU is no longer pursuing Williams, but someone may have more current information.

20 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Mikey & WDE have this covered & yes he is in the 2019 juco class. The staff is confident right now they will get a stud in this class plus with the number on roster there's not a need for a juco RB.

13 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Are y'all saying that Auburn needs a new RB coach?

How did you infer that?

Nevermind....

Archived