2016 LB recruiting

War Eagle77

Not sure if there's a thread on this or not but it's crazy that we are in the mix for four of the top six OLB for 247 composite I know it's early but it's a good start

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i could see bama getting 3 if they go after all of them. I would take any of the 4 but hope for Davis and Moon the most.

Kind of stinks, but true.

i could see bama getting 3 if they go after all of them. I would take any of the 4 but hope for Davis and Moon the most.

I sincerely hope you are wrong. A lot of our recent problems have come from UAT getting the ones they want and sending the others "anywhere but Auburn". The onus is on Gus to stop this in its tracks. There will never be a better opportunity to end this situation. AU recruiters, the time is NOW! We're paying huge amounts of money to have a top-notch recruiting staff. They have a great chance to earn their pay with the class of 2016 linebackers. We should expect nothing less.

Things are way different now. We have CLT recruiting for us instead of against us. We also have a big time DC who has proven himself to be one of the best in the country.

I sincerely hope you are wrong. A lot of our recent problems have come from UAT getting the ones they want and sending the others "anywhere but Auburn". The onus is on Gus to stop this in its tracks. There will never be a better opportunity to end this situation. AU recruiters, the time is NOW! We're paying huge amounts of money to have a top-notch recruiting staff. They have a great chance to earn their pay with the class of 2016 linebackers. We should expect nothing less.

...And the four consensus 4 star linebackers signed in the 2015 class, half of whom are from in-state, didn't do anything to rectify the situation, did it?

Come on, Mikey. In all the time we've been interacting on the boards, you have NEVER had anything positive to say about the linebackers at Auburn. It's not even about the performance on the field, it's about the constant pessimism and complete lack of support any time they actually had a good game. I remember in a game early last season that, in spite of the improved linebacker play, your contention was that it still wasn't any good because a safety finished with the most tackles (although, in reality, CEJ's defense is schematically very close to the old 4-4, which would have had that safety playing OLB).

Yes, of course we need to do a good job of recruiting linebackers this year, but stop pretending we are scraping the bottom of the barrel as it is.

Oh, and by the way, with at least two LB starting spots coming open after the 2015 season, I have a strong feeling we'll be getting a great deal of interest from several top notch prospects.

...And the four consensus 4 star linebackers signed in the 2015 class, half of whom are from in-state, didn't do anything to rectify the situation, did it?

Come on, Mikey. In all the time we've been interacting on the boards, you have NEVER had anything positive to say about the linebackers at Auburn. It's not even about the performance on the field, it's about the constant pessimism and complete lack of support any time they actually had a good game. I remember in a game early last season that, in spite of the improved linebacker play, your contention was that it still wasn't any good because a safety finished with the most tackles (although, in reality, CEJ's defense is schematically very close to the old 4-4, which would have had that safety playing OLB).

Yes, of course we need to do a good job of recruiting linebackers this year, but stop pretending we are scraping the bottom of the barrel as it is.

Oh, and by the way, with at least two LB starting spots coming open after the 2015 season, I have a strong feeling we'll be getting a great deal of interest from several top notch prospects.

"In all the time we've been interacting on the boards, you have NEVER had anything positive to say about the linebackers at Auburn. It's not even about the performance on the field" I wonder why? Duh!

You must have missed my comments in the recruiting threads about us signing a sufficient number of quality linebackers this year. Of course, some people that don't like us signing that many linebackers have shouted that they aren't really linebackers but safetys. However, if they are listed as linebackers on the sites, I'm calling them linebackers.

Now, about this thread: The statement was made that we wouldn't get any LB's that UAT wanted. To my knowledge, Tre Williams is the only LB we've signed in several years that had a legitimate offer from bammer. Not a one of this year's AU linebacker signees had a commitable offer from bammer.

This upcoming season there is an unusually bountiful crop of top-rated linebackers in the state of Alabama. Letting UAT pick over them and then send those they don't want off to somewhere else is a thing that's happened in prior years. This has to be stopped and stopping it is up to Gus, as I said above. Signing local kids that UAT doesn't want and having to run to other states for others is not good. If we can't take our share of top in-state LB's this year, just exactly when will it ever happen?

Don't get the contempt here towards Mikey. He is spot on. AU's LBer play the last 3 to 4 years has been very very MEH.

You must have missed my comments in the recruiting threads about us signing a sufficient number of quality linebackers this year. Of course, some people that don't like us signing that many linebackers have shouted that they aren't really linebackers but safetys. However, if they are listed as linebackers on the sites, I'm calling them linebackers.

Now, about this thread: The statement was made that we wouldn't get any LB's that UAT wanted. To my knowledge, Tre Williams is the only LB we've signed in several years that had a legitimate offer from bammer. Not a one of this year's AU linebacker signees had a commitable offer from bammer.

This upcoming season there is an unusually bountiful crop of top-rated linebackers in the state of Alabama. Letting UAT pick over them and then send those they don't want off to somewhere else is a thing that's happened in prior years. This has to be stopped and stopping it is up to Gus, as I said above. Signing local kids that UAT doesn't want and having to run to other states for others is not good. If we can't take our share of top in-state LB's this year, just exactly when will it ever happen?

The kid out of Hoover had a legit on the table offer from uat.

Now the crop of 2016 LBers in Alabama this year is very starish. Wilson is a stud. Ben Davis is WAY WAY overrated. Kid is soft and I'm not really sure how hard AU is really after him. Making uat earn it I believe. Moon I'm not sure. AU is on other better out of state at LBers this year. Wilson is a priority and the real deal but beyond him is really not a big lost IMO.

AU is winning as many head to head battles as they are losing to uat the past couple of years. No need to hit the panic button.

Coincidence guys we're not leading on is over rated?

Wilson is not overrated and we are not leading for him. Davis is ranked so high based on camps. Watch his film and tell me he is a 5*. This has nothing to do with him being a AU or uat lean. All I'm saying is the LBer group from Alabama are in a whole overrated. It's a joke Davis is rated higher than Mack on Rivals. Mack, from someone I trust, is considered the top player in the country by AU. #1 on the board.

I'm told Wilson is #1 on our LBer board followed by Joyner and Lamar. I'm not sure on the Moon kid.

Regarding your first paragraph, no, I didn't see them, but I haven't been on the boards nearly as much over the last few months as I have been in the past, so I'll take your word for it. As for the recruits in this year's class, I'd be willing to bet Williams had a committable offer, even if it WAS only an attempt to keep Auburn from getting him.

Regarding your final paragraph, that's fair enough, although it should be noted that "local" and "in-state" are not equivalent. Atlanta, Columbus, and Macon are all closer to Auburn than half of the most densely populated parts of Alabama, and Atlanta is about the same distance as Birmingham, so it isn't as if we HAVE to stay in state to get kids who don't have to travel far from home to go to college.

Don't get the contempt here towards Mikey. He is spot on. AU's LBer play the last 3 to 4 years has been very very MEH.

It's been ongoing for a long time. Yes, linebacker play (and indeed, the defense as a whole) has been down from what we're used to at Auburn. My problem comes with the fact that he has essentially become the opposite of a sunshine pumper when it comes to linebackers; if it weren't for the constant negativity in that regard, I wouldn't have said anything.

Quote:"....if it weren't for the constant negativity in that regard, I wouldn't have said anything."

When we get solid linebacker play I'll probably shut up. Even one of them making second team all-SEC would be a huge step up. To deny the LB positions have been a weak link since Josh Bynes left is to deny reality and until recently the only response around here was "we'll be fine". But we haven't been fine and we've still got a long way to go before we reach anything that resembles "fine".

Concerning Darryl Williams, reading his thread in this forum for the months leading up to signing day those generally in the know were saying if he got a committable offer from UAT he'd flip. I never saw a single comment to the fact that he suddenly got such an offer. I don't claim to have a spy camera in the coach's offices so as far as committable offers go, I depend on this site. This thread, today, is the first mention I've seen of Darryl Williams having such an offer from UAT.

The kid out of Hoover had a legit on the table offer from uat.

Now the crop of 2016 LBers in Alabama this year is very starish. Wilson is a stud. Ben Davis is WAY WAY overrated. Kid is soft and I'm not really sure how hard AU is really after him. Making uat earn it I believe. Moon I'm not sure. AU is on other better out of state at LBers this year. Wilson is a priority and the real deal but beyond him is really not a big lost IMO.

AU is winning as many head to head battles as they are losing to uat the past couple of years. No need to hit the panic button.

Wilson is the real deal on the field and the best LB in the state IMO and i would love to have him. I pick the other 2 for other reasons. I for one dont think Davis is over rated but I would rank him behind Wilson as far as on the field play. I think moon is the most underrated one of the group and may end up being better than Davis. There are also other quality LBs in alabama this year like Blue, Threat and Morris.

Quote:"....if it weren't for the constant negativity in that regard, I wouldn't have said anything."

When we get solid linebacker play I'll probably shut up. Even one of them making second team all-SEC would be a huge step up. To deny the LB positions have been a weak link since Josh Bynes left is to deny reality and until recently the only response around here was "we'll be fine". But we haven't been fine and we've still got a long way to go before we reach anything that resembles "fine".

Concerning Darryl Williams, reading his thread in this forum for the months leading up to signing day those generally in the know were saying if he got a committable offer from UAT he'd flip. I never saw a single comment to the fact that he suddenly got such an offer. I don't claim to have a spy camera in the coach's offices so as far as committable offers go, I depend on this site. This thread, today, is the first mention I've seen of Darryl Williams having such an offer from UAT.

I simply can't understand why everyone can't understand ^this^

Coincidence guys we're not leading on is over rated?

Wilson is not overrated and we are not leading for him. Davis is ranked so high based on camps. Watch his film and tell me he is a 5*. This has nothing to do with him being a AU or uat lean. All I'm saying is the LBer group from Alabama are in a whole overrated. It's a joke Davis is rated higher than Mack on Rivals. Mack, from someone I trust, is considered the top player in the country by AU. #1 on the board.

I'm told Wilson is #1 on our LBer board followed by Joyner and Lamar. I'm not sure on the Moon kid.

Just to make it clear, Wilson and Mack are the same guy.

Archived