Dontavious Russell and Andrew Williams

ClaytonAU

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but is she still married to the Turkish Muslim?

I clicked on it thinking it was a link. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

FYI, according to the girl the dog was wearing the service vest that said "Do not pet." The players (and at least a couple of other groups of students) didn't notice it and pet or attempted to pet the dog.

I thought I read where witnesses said there was no vest???

The vests I have seen are very,very noticeable. They cover a pretty good area of the dog's body and the letters are big and bright. That's the whole point in having the dog wear one. It's not something you just don't see. So I'm not sure about that...

People almost always respect the service dogs wearing a vest unless it's a child. I have seen children try to pet one and have to be told why they can't. It makes no sense to me that all those people would deliberately ignore a service dog vest.

If you are walking from behind at 10ft to the rear of the person with the dog and make a gesture to the dog you have no idea what the vest says. From behind it looks like a harness. Even so, the players didn't know what a service dog is for. They were used to the typical police dog or see and eye dog. For them they were unsure and before they knew it she reacted. Total misunderstanding.

which is why the words ; "bullying "and "harassment" should have never been used.

Thanks for clearing that up autigeremt.

It certainly isn't bullying or harassment. It's ridiculous that those young men have been put through this whole thing because of a simple event that was harmless and unintentional.

You don't have to be a vet with PTSD to benefit from a service dog. "Seeing eye dogs" have been around since at least the 1940's, maybe much before that. I have a 14 year-old grand daughter with anxiety issues. Her 5 pound Chihuahua is a service dog. It senses and warns when one of her panic attacks is coming on and she also derives comfort from it during an attack. Unlike our above "victim", my grand daughter is always glad to answer questions about it and is glad when people want to pet the little critter.

That's interesting Mikey. Never seen dog that small or of the Chihuahua breed being a service dog. See you learn something everyday. Education is key IMO. I'm aware of the common protocols of a seeing eye dog but I must admit not as familiar with the procedures of other dogs that are used for assistance. I don't go up petting other people's dogs anyway and hesitant about my kids doing it as well.

I couldn't help it. i started reading the comments under this on al.com. i'm remembering why i quit that a long time ago. but did we ever determine if she was sexually harassed or assaulted. Or was it about her husbands nationality. or all of it???

Surprised there's a 34 page thread about this non-story. I remember watching hippy chicks in Miami International Airport in the '70s wait for soldiers returning from Vietnam (and basically anybody in a uniform) to de-board so they could taunt them and call them baby killers. Now THAT was disrespect of COMBAT Vets.

You don't have to be a vet with PTSD to benefit from a service dog. "Seeing eye dogs" have been around since at least the 1940's, maybe much before that. I have a 14 year-old grand daughter with anxiety issues. Her 5 pound Chihuahua is a service dog. It senses and warns when one of her panic attacks is coming on and she also derives comfort from it during an attack. Unlike our above "victim", my grand daughter is always glad to answer questions about it and is glad when people want to pet the little critter.

That's interesting Mikey. Never seen dog that small or of the Chihuahua breed being a service dog. See you learn something everyday. Education is key IMO. I'm aware of the common protocols of a seeing eye dog but I must admit not as familiar with the procedures of other dogs that are used for assistance. I don't go up petting other people's dogs anyway and hesitant about my kids doing it as well.

To explain a little further, her dog is not normally on a leash when she's out in public. She has a pullover type shirt with a pouch sewed into it, pretty much like some carriers that are made for babies. The dog rides there. This "sling" has a service dog emblem sewn into it in a visible place and the dog wears a clearly marked vest.

We have felt like the responsibility to clearly identify him as a service dog is on us. That way confrontations are avoided and most people that need this type of assistance hate confrontations and/or public scenes.

Unfortunately, it looks like the woman involved is going to ratchet this up another notch. Has retained an attorney and didn't show up for a meeting with the players and AU officials. Now they're not returning phone calls.

Unfortunately, it looks like the woman involved is going to ratchet this up another notch. Has retained an attorney and didn't show up for a meeting with the players and AU officials. Now they're not returning phone calls.

Then she truly is off her nut and needs to seek a shrink in addition to a lawyer. At first I thought who am I to judge the whole disabled/PTSD/18 month enlistment thing. Now I'm inclined to think she's a money grabber no different than a welfare scammer..

As I posted on the other thread let's try to conclude the back and forth on this topic for a couple of days so we can provide a positive outcome (check the other thread for more). Thank you.

Archived