New Scoreboard - Construction Progress

RunInRed

Am I the only one who sees this as absurdly excessive?

I'm ambivalent. On one hand, I'm excited to see how this will impact the game day experience and it's pretty cool to get to say we have the biggest jumbotron in college football. On the other, I'm suspicious of a 13 million dollar project for a jumbotron when there are other issues with the stadium which could be addressed (possibly for less?) Given that Auburn athletics has operated on a loss the last two years and the cost of my season tickets increased substantially for this upcoming season, I'm a bit peeved. Who knows, maybe ticket prices were due to rise regardless of the jumbotron.

Either way, it will be pretty cool to see come the fall.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think it is a bit excessive. I thought they needed a new one and perhaps a bigger one, but that thing is HUGE! From the upper deck, I enjoy looking out at our beautiful campus. I'm going to miss the view on that side. My husband says its because we don't play "old man" football at Auburn anymore and that we are the Oregon if the east...idk. I'll see what it's like on game day and reserve final judgement until then. Not a huge fan of change, especially to things at Auburn.

It won't be when it's done. Don't worry

Not sure what that means .

It won't be absurdly excessive when it's finished. Don't you worry about it.

On the other, I'm suspicious of a 13 million dollar project for a jumbotron when there are other issues with the stadium which could be addressed (possibly for less?)

Keep in mind that the price tag also includes other items as well and not just the scoreboard. I believe the sound system will be replaced (which was greatly needed) and the electronic "ribbons" on the side of the stadium will also be replaced. Here's a list of what is included: http://auburn.247sports.com/Gallery/Old-scoreboard-gone-whats-next-36148744

We went to MS State game this year and their huge jumbo-tron was impressive. They make the most out of it and the atmosphere it brings to that forsaken place. Can't help but think one that is even bigger will not be better. I believe this will be used as a important recruiting tool as well.

No. However, I think it makes sense considering the current arms race that is big time college football. There are going to be alot more programs going big with their screens in the future, and it's already been going on for a long time. Might as well go big now. Its going to make the stadium feel much bigger. I think that's one thing we will all notice once we go to games this fall. It's going to make our stadium louder. The players will love it, as will recruits. And, most importantly, its another reason for people to buy tickets. We all see what's happening with attendance across the country, and programs are going to do everything they can to make the in stadium experience as good as they can. We will see more in game highlights, or live feeds from other games across the country. The sound system will I'm sure be incredible. Replays will be Huge. As absurd as it is, it makes sense in alot of different ways.

On the other, I'm suspicious of a 13 million dollar project for a jumbotron when there are other issues with the stadium which could be addressed (possibly for less?)

Keep in mind that the price tag also includes other items as well and not just the scoreboard. I believe the sound system will be replaced (which was greatly needed) and the electronic "ribbons" on the side of the stadium will also be replaced. Here's a list of what is included: http://auburn.247sports.com/Gallery/Old-scoreboard-gone-whats-next-36148744

The sound system upgraded was sorely needed. Not so sure about the new 'ribbons,' but I don't have a problem with it. You can count me among those griping for the exterior to be bricked up and, while I don't know what the cost of that would be, I would much prefer it over the jumbotron.

While I'm excited for the new scoreboard, I'm kind of disappointed. For one the seats that my family and I sit in, are right below it. So, it's not really comfortable or ideal having to turn completely around, to view it. Just wish we added one or a few in other spots in the stadium to make it a little more comfortable for us directly under the new scoreboard. WDE

Keep in mind that the price tag also includes other items as well and not just the scoreboard. I believe the sound system will be replaced (which was greatly needed) and the electronic "ribbons" on the side of the stadium will also be replaced. Here's a list of what is included: http://auburn.247spo...s-next-36148744

The sound system upgraded was sorely needed. Not so sure about the new 'ribbons,' but I don't have a problem with it. You can count me among those griping for the exterior to be bricked up and, while I don't know what the cost of that would be, I would much prefer it over the jumbotron.

I think that will come in due time. There will be other work to the stadium soon. They are going to add some premium seats in the other end zone and they have some other upgrades to do as well.

Maybe on it's own, but once the North endzone get's an update, I think it will balance out nicely. Also, getting this done on the south will help drive ticket sales in the north at a premium level.

We went to MS State game this year and their huge jumbo-tron was impressive. They make the most out of it and the atmosphere it brings to that forsaken place. Can't help but think one that is even bigger will not be better. I believe this will be used as a important recruiting tool as well.

Well, at State, the jumbotron was fun and then it got pretty stale too. I dont go to a sporting event to see the same lame old crap that they do at every other sporting event. I guess i like the traditions of college sports. When the jumbotron becomes the focus of the whole experience, like at a MLB Park, it just gets stale.

The tie-in to the future NEZ expansion and view the board will provide to those premium seats is vastly understated ...

Good googly moogly!!! Every time I think it's huge ... It gets bigger!

This may sound silly but I'm disappointed we will lose the gameday sunsets that are awesome to view on a cool crisp fall afternoon during a game.

RIR, here is a photo request. When Aubietron is finished I would love to see a long exposure taken with a 10 stop ND filter, when clouds are in the sky. It would make an awesome photo. And one taken in the blue hour. Especially with the screen showing a photo of the entire campus, taken from an aerial view.

I was playing around in photoshop to see how big the structure will be when it is completed. Here is what I came up with if anyone cares.

scoreboard_mock.jpg

Excellent!

Naw, you need to put Aubie up there kicking Big Al off of it!!!

Archived